Kostner's plan for the Lutz in 2018? | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Kostner's plan for the Lutz in 2018?

moriel

Record Breaker
Actually, considering CS/GP/Euros/Worlds/Olympics, Kostner has less gold medals (11) than Medvedeva (13)

GGFan

Record Breaker
Looks like she is planning on adding the Lutz at the GPF. This video was posted by Aljona Savchenko today: https://twitter.com/pogosplat/status/935930260570427395

Looks as effortless as ever and she has a lot more transitions going into it than ever before! Let's hope she can pull it off at the GPF. This makes me wonder what the rest of her layout will look like?

Props!! Doing it for the 30 somethings! :yahoo:

Ender

Match Penalty
But she's planning to get 250 points for Oly programs. So maybe she'll try to "get any cent" from the score.
Yeap but my point is going for harder tech means higher chance to make mistakes. We shall see. I think she won’t medal at GPF if she risks. But it’s ok. She doesn’t need to show her best at GPF.

ask

Match Penalty
Kostner has to be the best technician of all time. Skaters do not demonstrate ability to jump high quality jumps in their 30. This is an inspiration for young skaters out there. The quality and textbook of the jumps are there all these years even if you can't see it like a tano.

Globetrotter

Medalist
That looked really nice! The transitions before make it look effortless and well integrated into the choreography, a lot more than her current flips. Her intended layout may very well be:
3Lz
3F+3T (maybe in the future, for the moment she'll surely stick to a 2T)
3Lo
-
3T+2T
2A+1Lo+3S
2A
3S
This seems to me the option which is most compatible with the structure we've seen of her FS. It would be almost identical in content with what she had in 2014, but with two 2As (the difference in BV for the jumps alone is more or less 43.78 (with today's BV and assuming a 2T+2Lo combo) vs 44.35, which is not really that significant)

Possible layout that is slightly more ambitious in BV:
3Lz, 2A-3T, 3F-2T // 2A-1R-3S, 3F, 3R, 3S

Will easily be in contention against Zhenya and Zagi in the highly unlikely event that she goes clean. CaroK should really get higher PCS than the two Russian just based on her more mature interpretation and far stronger SS.

moriel

Record Breaker
Kostner has to be the best technician of all time. Skaters do not demonstrate ability to jump high quality jumps in their 30. This is an inspiration for young skaters out there. The quality and textbook of the jumps are there all these years even if you can't see it like a tano.

I disagree about textbook. Caro's jumps have unacceptably long setups. Men do less setup for quads nowadays.

ask

Match Penalty
I disagree about textbook. Caro's jumps have unacceptably long setups. Men do less setup for quads nowadays.

99% of men do not have steps prior to their quads. Only 2 or 3 really have transitions.

Textbook jumps do not include transitions. Hello?

bobbob

Medalist
Well she needs to get a 3F-3T or at least a 2A-3T for the lutz to even have the possibility of improving her score...how's that coming along?

jiggs

On the Ice
Well she needs to get a 3F-3T or at least a 2A-3T for the lutz to even have the possibility of improving her score...how's that coming along?

She has already been doing 2A-3S this season. Re-introducing the Lutz will allow her to do 7 triples. So potentially she could go for 3Lz, 3F3T, 3L, 3T, 2A3S, 2A, 3Sal2T. I don't expect her to add the 3F3T at the GPF yet but definitely later on in the season. There would be no other significant reason for her to add the Lutz since it wouldn't make much difference in base value.

SimplyLex

On the Ice

I wish coaches nowadays would take their time teaching their students proper technique instead of forcing 10 year olds to do triple triples. All those baby Russians... I can bet anything that none of them will be able to land any triples at all at 30 with the sloppy technique most of them have.

But then again, Russian girls retire before or shortly after they turn 20, so...

ask

Match Penalty
I wish coaches nowadays would take their time teaching their students proper technique instead of forcing 10 year olds to do triple triples. All those baby Russians... I can bet anything that none of them will be able to land any triples at all at 30 with the sloppy technique most of them have.

But then again, Russian girls retire before or shortly after they turn 20, so...

Who knows, all these years, maybe she should always get +3 GOE because her technique is the closest thing to an ideal jumping technique. It is not something you can see visually like a tano but it is the most effective and correct way.
People tend to discount correct technique, but that should be the foundation of all jumps. I like to see people with perfect technique getting at least +3. People without perfect technique can compensate with transitions and what not, but kostner's jumps should always get the highest GOE.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Who knows, all these years, maybe she should always get +3 GOE because her technique is the closest thing to an ideal jumping technique. It is not something you can see visually like a tano but it is the most effective and correct way.
People tend to discount correct technique, but that should be the foundation of all jumps. I like to see people with perfect technique getting at least +3. People without perfect technique can compensate with transitions and what not, but kostner's jumps should always get the highest GOE.

Really?
What bullet points do her jumps check that would say she deserves that GOE? Because "best technique" is not a GOE bullet.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She has already been doing 2A-3S this season. Re-introducing the Lutz will allow her to do 7 triples. So potentially she could go for 3Lz, 3F3T, 3L, 3T, 2A3S, 2A, 3Sal2T. I don't expect her to add the 3F3T at the GPF yet but definitely later on in the season. There would be no other significant reason for her to add the Lutz since it wouldn't make much difference in base value.

I'd probably like to see her do 3Lz, 3T3T, 3Lo, 3F, 2A3S, 2A, 3S2T, which is the same base value you suggested but has her doing the easier 3T3T.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'd probably like to see her do 3Lz, 3T3T, 3Lo, 3F, 2A3S, 2A, 3S2T, which is the same base value you suggested but has her doing the easier 3T3T.

i think she would go 2a-3t..... higher base value like that with flips and sals as repeated jumps

mrrice

Record Breaker
i think she would go 2a-3t..... higher base value like that with flips and sals as repeated jumps

When was the last time Carolina landed a Lutz in competition? She has an Olympic Medal and several world medals including a championship in 2012. Has she never had a Lutz or is this a recent problem.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
When was the last time Carolina landed a Lutz in competition? She has an Olympic Medal and several world medals including a championship in 2012. Has she never had a Lutz or is this a recent problem.

i think it was sochi

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

I believe she landed every lutz (or close to it) she attempted in the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons, in which she opened her LP with the jump. Caro did the jump previously but did not do the jump for a few seasons due to comeback from injury. She doesn't take unnecessary risks, but including the jump shows she is serious about wanting another Olympic medal.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
her sochi lp

3Lz
2A+3T
3F
3Lo
3T
3S
3S+2T+2T

SO then, she didn't have the 2a-l-3s so she managed 7 triples one 2a....