Kostner's plan for the Lutz in 2018? | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Kostner's plan for the Lutz in 2018?

halulupu

Final Flight
The last time Caro landed her 3Lz in competition was at 2014 Worlds. Here it is: https://imgflip.com/gif/209unm

Let's all be honest with ourselves and with each other. Her technique is simply astounding and glorious.

totally agree! in the twitter clip from aljona u can see that it is a perfect lutz, even thought the camera angle is anything than good. thats real quality which i would expect from all top ladies

moriel

Record Breaker
99% of men do not have steps prior to their quads. Only 2 or 3 really have transitions.

Textbook jumps do not include transitions. Hello?

Well, there is no definition of textbook jump to start with.
In my own textbook, spending 20% of the program preparing for jumps = inability to jump out of steps/transitions = bad jumps.

Ender

Match Penalty
I disagree about textbook. Caro's jumps have unacceptably long setups. Men do less setup for quads nowadays.
Most of their quads have bad take off, only around 3 men with clean take off, and also the rest telegraph their jumps.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
When was the last time Carolina landed a Lutz in competition? She has an Olympic Medal and several world medals including a championship in 2012. Has she never had a Lutz or is this a recent problem.
I am pretty sure Carolina landed 3Lz in some Challenger last season albeit with -GOE and iircs also at Italian Nationals.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
In my own textbook, spending 20% of the program preparing for jumps = inability to jump out of steps/transitions = bad jumps.
For me bad jump = jump with flawed technique or such that is unimpressive looking on its own (those two things are usually correlated with each other). I prefer watching skaters who jump from easier transitions or longer set-up but whose jumps have great technique over those with poor / subpar technique no matter how difficult their entry or exit might be.

There's such a thing as textbook jump, don't fool yourself. There are some variations in technique - details may differ, but the principles are there. ISU itself has simulations of textbook jumps.

ask

Match Penalty

Really? You are wrong every sentences so far. If there is no definition of textbook jump, then what do you call a flutz?

Also, doing a jump with bad technique and all the tanos in the world will get you injured and retire before 20.

moriel

Record Breaker
Really? You are wrong every sentences so far. If there is no definition of textbook jump, then what do you call a flutz?

Also, doing a jump with bad technique and all the tanos in the world will get you injured and retire before 20.

As far as we know, flutzes get 1.7 GOE just fine. So lets correct it, there is no UNIQUE definition of what a textbook jump is.
Last but not least, someone mentioned up there something about impressive. So, long setup = very unimpressive and boring.
But i suppose it is pointless to argue with you, right? everything Caro does is perfect for you.

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
what would the BV be of this layout compared to the other top ladies?

It's similar to her 2014 Olympic long program base value except she's performing an additional double axel and a second triple flip instead of a second triple toe.

Carolina's triple lutz that Aliona posted is a plus 3 GOE because she achieves 6 bullets of the ISU GUIDELINES for GOE document.
#2:clear/recognizable steps/freeskating movements immediately preceding element
4. Good height and distance
5. Good extension on landing
6. Good flow from entry to exit
7.Effortless throughout
8. Element matched to the musical structure

And since they are GUIDELINES, a judge has freedom to show respect through their marks for clearly clean edge takeoffs, beautiful rotating positions in the air, on axis rotations, effortless clean back outside running edge on landings.

msadot

On the Ice
I love and aspect of this thread, and about Caro in general.

Some say: "she only skates for love of skating".
Some other "count the score up to the cent".

As for me, you know what I think.

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
GPF Thoughts

Carolina needs to decide if she wants to be competitive and go for the Olympic Gold medal or if she wants to coast and skate for the joy skating and let me know because she's giving me hard attacks. Unfortunately, it looks like she's decided to do the latter. Things is though, the judges are giving her clear hints that they would give her the Gold medal if she went for it.

Short program: Had she not popped that second triple toe in her opening she would have had about 5 more points in the technical, and more than likely 1 more point in the program components, for a total of 78.82 which would have put her first here. Were she to upgrade her opening to a triple flip, triple toe, she'd get a couple more points on top of that for a total of 80.82 and be more than competitve with Medvedeva.

Long program: Had she gone for the opening triple flip, triple toe and not doubled the triple salchow she would have had about 10 more points in the technical, and probably another 2 more points in the program components, for a total of 153.83 which, again, would have placed her first here. Were she to add the triple lutz to the long program, which she has been landing in practice, you can add another 6 points to her technical score for 159.83 and that would put her even ahead of Medvedeva.

It kills me that she was less than 2 points away from winning the silver medal here. The fact that she was able to do this with 3 pops in this competition, and no triple lutz, is amazing. My advise to her would be to upgrade everything for nationals, where she has nothing to lose, and see how it goes and then show up to Europeans with 2 new dresses and upgraded technical content. She's already got a bronze at the Olympics so I'd tell her to go for the gold medal- she has nothing to lose. She doesn't want to live her life wondering if she could have won it. No regrets, Carolina. Go for it!

Ps- I saw a video of her doing a triple lutz as the opening jump to this program so she may do that and then go for the triple flip/triple toe and keep the rest of the program like it was here. Put the hardest content at the beginning and the easier jumps in the second half after a breather. The key her is the triple flip/triple toe- it used to her money maker and very consistent. She really needs to focus and get this back in the next couple weeks.