Eurosport UK not airing Figure skating? | Golden Skate

Eurosport UK not airing Figure skating?

honeygirl

Rinkside
Has Eurosport UK stopped airing figure skating? Skate Canada is not airing currently, I haven't seen any figure skating tournaments being aired on Eurosport UK for months now. Does anybody know what is going on?

Miller

Final Flight
Has Eurosport UK stopped airing figure skating? Skate Canada is not airing currently, I haven't seen any figure skating tournaments being aired on Eurosport UK for months now. Does anybody know what is going on?

They don't show Challenger Series - Autumn Classic in Canada if that's what you mean.

There's some panicky comments about figure skating being removed from Eurosport Player in the separate thread - perhaps these should be merged?

Apparently one of the Italian commentators has tweeted he doesn't know if it'll be shown yet - I always get the impression that Eurosport has the rights to sporting events but it doesn't always necessarily show them.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

It's not the GP, Skate Canada, that is currently happening, but Senior B competitions. These usually do not air on Eurosport. The GP series starts mid-October.

honeygirl

Rinkside
It's not the GP, Skate Canada, that is currently happening, but Senior B competitions. These usually do not air on Eurosport. The GP series starts mid-October.

Ok thanks for letting me know. Still, I haven't seen any figure skating air for months

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Ok thanks for letting me know. Still, I haven't seen any figure skating air for months

Figure Skating is a Winter Sport and happens in the Winter Season of the northern hemisphere. The last 'big' competition was Worlds in Helsinki at the beginning of April. That's why they air no figure skating in summer - it is off-season for Eurosport (which is a European Channel) and the Figure Skating World.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The good thing is that they have dates and a timetable for the Rostelecom Cup on the homepage. http://www.eurosport.co.uk/figure-skating/
And dates for all the big events:http://www.eurosport.co.uk/figure-skating/calendar-result.shtml
So I'm quite optimistic at this point.

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean anything. The Eurosport homepage also covers things that Eurosport doesn't show. For example, Formula 1, or English Premier League football.

This discussion has also been happening in a thread I started last month about Eurosport updates. And a member who is usually spot on about things like this gave the impression that they weren't showing the GP series.

But, I'm holding out hope.

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
The good thing is that they have dates and a timetable for the Rostelecom Cup on the homepage.
Well spotted, but CaroLiza_fan also raised a good point in the post above.

I've sent an e-mail to Eurosport to ask about the GPs. Who knows...
As the Dutch saying goes, "Nee heb je, ja kun je krijgen." or "You [already] have a 'no', but you may be able to get a 'yes'." :agree:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
They play snooker.

This made me laugh. Thank you.

It's like when I'm talking to the Dutch fans and they are complaining about long track speed skating being shown on their TV. I ask them if their citizenship might be revoked. If you watch North American reports on the Dutch you'd think loving speed skating was a national obligation. Weird assumptions about foreign countries based on NBC/CBC/CTV fluff pieces.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Well spotted, but CaroLiza_fan also raised a good point in the post above.

I've sent an e-mail to Eurosport to ask about the GPs. Who knows...
As the Dutch saying goes, "Nee heb je, ja kun je krijgen." or "You [already] have a 'no', but you may be able to get a 'yes'." :agree:

I love this expression! I'm going to start using it. But in Dutch so all my friends think I'm more cultured than I actually am.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
ancientpeas said:
It's like when I'm talking to the Dutch fans and they are complaining about long track speed skating being shown on their TV. I ask them if their citizenship might be revoked. If you watch North American reports on the Dutch you'd think loving speed skating was a national obligation. Weird assumptions about foreign countries based on NBC/CBC/CTV fluff pieces.
*raises hand* I’m one of those weirdos who think speed skating is a bore.

Mind you, I am of the firm belief that people / nations love watching sports mainly when they’re good at it or have reason to believe they may win gold, get a medal etc.
It’s why a few years ago, nobody here cared about Formula 1 🏎 but now every time there is a race, the country comes to a virtual stand still. Only because of one guy (the fact that he’s had nothing but disastrous results this season don’t even matter, he won once and so he can do so again). Heck, last time he had crashed in like the first minute of the race... in our house the telly was switched off the next minute! He not drive, so we not watch.
*rolls eyes*
Same with artistic Gymnastics. Not exactly something the average Dutchman ever bothered with, but Mr Zonderland is good at it and oh my! Suddenly we all care!

No we don’t care. We just want to see our country win, and it’s the same everywhere on the planet.

If I tell someone here I don’t watch speed skating but figure skating, their reaction is always the same: confusion. “But we don’t have any good figure skaters, right?” Because who in his right mind would watch a sports we aren’t any good at?

Last example: Why did the country suddenly worship women’s soccer earlier this year, when before people barely knew it existed and it was considered utterly laughable and inferior to real men’s soccer because women can’t play the game? Because oh look, suddenly they’re good at it and winning.

“We” only love speed skating because it’s the only reason our medal count at the Olympics is always high and we like seeing our country win. That’s it. Sad fact of life. Heck, it’s not even like speed skating is a favorite pastime or anything. Have you seen Dutch winters? There is barely any ice anywhere, ever.

I prefer watching sports for the beauty of it, the entertainment value. So what if at the end Holland has zero figure skating medals? I doubt we will even have any figure skater at the Olympics. I will still watch fs, and be pissed off when Dutch television airs the umpteenth speed skating race (they have seriously way too many distances, anyway, just like Swimming has) but ignores the figure skating. It’s not even like they hide it. “with special attention to the sports with Dutch participants” or something like that.

Sorry for this rant, I shouldn’t be allowed on-line at 4 in the morning. ;-)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

That's because it is. :agree:

Mind you, I am of the firm belief that people / nations love watching sports mainly when they’re good at it or have reason to believe they may win gold, get a medal etc.
It’s why a few years ago, nobody here cared about Formula 1 🏎 but now every time there is a race, the country comes to a virtual stand still. Only because of one guy (the fact that he’s had nothing but disastrous results this season don’t even matter, he won once and so he can do so again). Heck, last time he had crashed in like the first minute of the race... in our house the telly was switched off the next minute! He not drive, so we not watch.
*rolls eyes*

I liked Jos Verstappen back in the day. He might not have been the most successful driver in F1 history (no, that was his team-mate from his Benetton days), but he tried.

But as for Max, he scares me. He can be very reckless, which is not what you need in a race where the cars are going so fast. I hope he grows out of it as he gets older (just like Alonso did). And then maybe I'll warm to him (I do tend to support the Dutch in sports).

Last example: Why did the country suddenly worship women’s soccer earlier this year, when before people barely knew it existed and it was considered utterly laughable and inferior to real men’s soccer because women can’t play the game? Because oh look, suddenly they’re good at it and winning.

As for the Women's football, it is the same in the UK. I first got into it in 2008 after catching the U-17 World Cup on Eurosport. Back then, nobody in the UK was interested in Women's football. The creation of the Women's Super League and BT Sport getting the rights to show WSL matches did raise it's profile a bit, as did the BBC showing a weekly magazine show as well as live coverage of England international matches (albeit not on their main channels). But, it only really became popular after England finished 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] in the 2015 World Cup.

And then when this year's Euros came along, all the TV channels were talking about women's football. Because England were seen as one of the favourites. And then when they got knocked out, everybody lost interest.

Incidentally, I was supporting the Dutch girls. So, I was delighted when they won! :biggrin:

We just want to see our country win, and it’s the same everywhere on the planet.

If I tell someone here I don’t watch speed skating but figure skating, their reaction is always the same: confusion. “But we don’t have any good figure skaters, right?” Because who in his right mind would watch a sports we aren’t any good at?

“We” only love speed skating because it’s the only reason our medal count at the Olympics is always high and we like seeing our country win. That’s it. Sad fact of life. Heck, it’s not even like speed skating is a favorite pastime or anything. Have you seen Dutch winters? There is barely any ice anywhere, ever.

Unfortunately, you are right. I try my best not to be like that, supporting somebody purely because they are from the same country as you.

The exception is when it is a sport that is really obscure in your country. You can't help but admire that person or team for doing well against the odds. Like when Kelly Gallagher won her Gold medal at the Sochi Paralympics in Alpine Skiing. I actually cried.

I prefer watching sports for the beauty of it, the entertainment value. So what if at the end Holland has zero figure skating medals? I doubt we will even have any figure skater at the Olympics. I will still watch fs, and be pissed off when Dutch television airs the umpteenth speed skating race (they have seriously way too many distances, anyway, just like Swimming has) but ignores the figure skating. It’s not even like they hide it. “with special attention to the sports with Dutch participants” or something like that.

Same here! There is only one figure skater from Northern Ireland competing internationally at the moment (Sam McAllister), and he is in Juniors. So, even if Ireland did qualify for the Olympics, he wouldn't be the first choice to go (that would be Southern skater Conor Stakelum, who is the long-time representative in Seniors).

But I doubt the local media would be interested even if Sam did go to the Olympics. When Jenna McCorkell was first coming through, she got a lot of attention in the local media for the novelty value of somebody from Northern Ireland who was competing in figure skating. But, that soon dried up. Even when she was winning the British Championships every year, the NI media didn't pay any attention. She got the odd mention during the Sochi Olympics, but that was it.

In fact, unless Kelly Gallagher or Aimee Fuller (local snowboarder) win anything, I doubt if the Pyeongchang Olympics (if they happen) will even get a mention in the local media. They will be too busy talking about football, Gaelic football and golf.

Golf. Gaaah!!!!! :gaah: A sport that is only popular here because we have 3 golfers who do well on the international stage: Darren Clarke, Graeme McDowell and Rory McIlroy.

I like Darren. Yes, he from the same county as me, but there are people from Tyrone who I don't like. I like Darren because he is a genuine, down-to-Earth person – what you see is what you get. But, just because I like him as a person doesn't mean I like the sport he competes in. I find it boring.

But, in the same vein as what ancientpeas said about the Dutch and speed skating, you would think from the way the media goes on that everybody from Northern Ireland loves golf, and that not liking it was akin to treason.

I'm a traitor! :devil:

Sorry for this rant, I shouldn’t be allowed on-line at 4 in the morning. ;-)

:laugh: Same here!

CaroLiza_fan

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Ah, Verstappen, presumably. Not quite yet a dirty word in my house, but close. ;)

I liked Jos Verstappen back in the day. He might not have been the most successful driver in F1 history (no, that was his team-mate from his Benetton days), but he tried.

But as for Max, he scares me. He can be very reckless, which is not what you need in a race where the cars are going so fast. I hope he grows out of it as he gets older (just like Alonso did). And then maybe I'll warm to him (I do tend to support the Dutch in sports).

Well, I hope that Max doesn't take after his father. You know Verstappen Sr has convictions for assault (fractured a man's skull in an incident at a kart track), has twice been accused of domestic violence by two different partners, and was actually convicted of threatening one of them and violating a restraining order, right?

I'm hoping Verstappen Jr is a better man than his father.

Anyway, back on topic: I am hoping that the mainstream sports media might pick up on our skaters before we get to the Olympics itself. It's probably a fool's hope, though.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ah, Verstappen, presumably. Not quite yet a dirty word in my house, but close. ;)

Well, I hope that Max doesn't take after his father. You know Verstappen Sr has convictions for assault (fractured a man's skull in an incident at a kart track), has twice been accused of domestic violence by two different partners, and was actually convicted of threatening one of them and violating a restraining order, right?

I'm hoping Verstappen Jr is a better man than his father.

Wow! :jaw: I didn't know that! I was just judging Jos purely on what I saw on track during the very late 90's / early 00's.

Thank you for letting me know about that. You've shown him in a totally different light.

Anyway, back on topic: I am hoping that the mainstream sports media might pick up on our skaters before we get to the Olympics itself. It's probably a fool's hope, though.

I really hope so too, because you have a strong team across pretty much all categories now. And you deserve to get good coverage.

Not that we all don't deserve good coverage, of course. But you know what I mean.

CaroLiza_fan

Alex D

Record Breaker

During the Europeans, I met a Dutch reporter and I had to identify players for him, on his photos. He was a Dutch journalist, just sayin...

The overall interest in the sport was only high when the Dutch Ladies played though. I went to games, where roughly 1k people were in the stadium or less. Even in Germany, with our Olympic titles and multiple international victories, most Bundesliga teams have less than 1000 people watching. TV coverage is also much lower, especially if we talk about actual journalistic work, like pre and post analyses.

As for Eurosport, they do cover a lot more American sports now, due the new management. A lot of people at the forum claim that in the US; Figure Skating is not covered well, so this could explain, why ES is now also joining the avoidance club.

They will show figure skating at the Olympics though, this I know.

viennaskater

Medalist
As for Eurosport, they do cover a lot more American sports now, due the new management. A lot of people at the forum claim that in the US; Figure Skating is not covered well, so this could explain, why ES is now also joining the avoidance club.

They will show figure skating at the Olympics though, this I know.

Eurosport did not cover the last Winter Olympics though.

I am not happy at all with Eurosport now because, if you subscribe to Eurosport Player, you can only get it in the local language. It used to be both English and local language. I live in Austria and do not want commentary in German. I complained and they have failed to come up with an acceptable explanation, so I will no longer be subscribing.

I do have ES 1 and 2 on my cable channels and last time I looked, I could get it in English, so fingers crossed they will get their act together.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Eurosport did not cover the last Winter Olympics though.

I am not happy at all with Eurosport now because, if you subscribe to Eurosport Player, you can only get it in the local language. It used to be both English and local language. I live in Austria and do not want commentary in German. I complained and they have failed to come up with an acceptable explanation, so I will no longer be subscribing.

I do have ES 1 and 2 on my cable channels and last time I looked, I could get it in English, so fingers crossed they will get their act together.

Yes, Eurosport did not have the broadcasting rights in 2014. They were simply not allowed to show anything :D Now they have the rights and confirmed recently, that everything will be available during the Olympics.

You can connect to the Eurosport player with a VPN, this will give you a different language.