Interview with Javier Fernández | Golden Skate

Interview with Javier Fernández

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ted Flett talks with Spain's Javier Fernández about training with Hanyu Yuzuru, his new programs, and technical elements this season. Enjoy!

Congrats to Javi on his win at #AC17!!

Here's hoping he stays healthy moving into the GP! What are your thoughts on his long program and his jump layout?

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Congrats Javi, on your Autumn Classic Win! The programs look very good. I like the beginning and middle of the LP a lot, the end, I'd like a more epic sound track, as the current finish seems a bit too subdued.
Thanks for the interview. :thumbsup:
As a fan of Yuzu and Javi, I'm really glad that the coaching team is thinking of both of them, not afraid to make changes in their training to make sure they are both comfortable and challenged at the same time. Getting personal attention when they need it and competitive stimulation when they need it. They represent the sport so well.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
I LOVE both of oJavi's programs. The choreography is superbly balanced with his artistic ability and technical prowess. He really is one with the music.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
What a lovely interview! Especially with the crowd roaring at Hanyu in the background :laugh:

I am a Javi superfan and as such turn every rock, explore every lead etc., so when the short appeared in the summer, I had guessed the general theme in advance and immediately watched Modern Times. Which was an enlightening as was watching Guys and Dolls a couple of years ago... The FS theme was fairly obvious and my lovely Javi experts reference group even got the source material correct within hours after the first hints were dropped. I read the musical plot and even watched the (rather horrid) 1972 movie, listened to soundtracks etc.

So, now, seeing both programs properly in competition for the first time was for me about detail - the FS music cut and the complete choreo, jump layout, costume. Reading the choreos was easy because I knew the source material and David Wilson's work was IMO pretty simple to follow.

This got me wondering what was the experience for viewers who did not have all that knowledge beforehand? I hope I get some answers although this is not the most popular thread in GS...

Plus, he is getting amazingly eloquent in English for a guy who about 6 years ago could barely string words together into a coherent sentence. (As a non-native English speaker using it for work all the time and also as a person living in a foreign country where the language is nothing like mine, I truly appreaciate his efforts!)

E

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Thanks for this! I haven't seen a ton of Javi video interviews ... would have also been interested to see what he had to say after the event and getting a solid win over Yuzu to start the Olympic season. Must be a huge confidence booster. :)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations on your AC win, Javi!

Javier's skating in Don Quixote is romantic, expansive, and filled with heart.

I adored his Don Quixote at first viewing and have already re-watched it a few times ... What's so special about Javi is the emotion he creates with the music, his movement, and his engagement with the audience. He is without equal in the men's field. His jumps are gorgeous too. The layout looks good, and he varies the placement of the jumps in the rink, which I like.

He represents and practices what figure skating is at its best. Javi makes all the technique serve the program, not the other way around. Beautiful choreo from David Wilson. Such a program takes a special skater who will go full out with the emotion.

My favorite skaters are inclusive toward the audiences. Javi brings us onto the ice and makes us feel something.:dance3:

ETA: I love that Javier is taking a stand about what he values in figure skating. He is going for quality in his performance.... he said at 2016 Worlds that the most important thing for him is that people will enjoy his program. He doesn't want to sacrifice the things that he loves about figure skating and that he does well in pursuit of keeping up with the Joneses in # of quads, or anything else. He's running his own race. So is Nathan, btw. I respect that in both men.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
That was a wonderful interview! Javi would make a great Olympic champion!

Shandy

On the Ice
That was a wonderful interview! Javi would make a great Olympic champion!

Why can't Javi AND Yuzu AND Shoma AND Patrick AND Nathan all be Olympic champion?? :tantrum:

Ahem. But yes, Javi would indeed make a fantastic OGM. I love his perspective and his dedication to quality and artistry.