Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya & Harley Windsor | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya & Harley Windsor

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
My takeaway from Skate Canada, Finlandia Trophy, and the US Classic is that they have to drill those jumps and throws. Things that used to be easier for them aren't now.

I have to wonder if Julie Marcotte's choreography is too demanding for them? I found it interesting that at Skate Canada, Marcotte asked Katia what her PB free skating score was in the Kiss and Cry.

Maybe these things take time, but I get the impression that set-ups for jumps, lifts and throws are a little too fiddly and complex.

Also, one of their biggest rivals at the junior level, Boikova and Kozlovskii, have shot ahead and are leaving them in the dust. Their programs by comparison, are one speed, and a little less busy. That team used to have so much trouble with jumps, and now it seems, they don't.

LazarusPitHotTub

Rinkside
K&H said (to golden skate actually, I think) that they were also adjusting to the Canadian training style as they've both only ever trained under Russian coaches, so that could be another factor to consider. The 2017-18 season was very long too and with the move I'm guessing that they were very drained at the end of last season and might need more time to get going for 2018-19.
I'm taking as a positive from all of this that (I believe) that they've gotten positive GOE on every element this season so far at some point, just not in the same competition. Technically, it's all there, they just need to put it together. The levels also looked a lot better at SCI (level 4s for everything except the death spirals and a combo spin in the free).

The interpretation and performance marks for Katia and Harley also seem to come much better when they skate clean and are more confident/focussing on enjoying themselves. When Katia landed that crazy off-axis throw in the SP only then did they start to really have fun with the program because she couldn't stop smiling and laughing at that fact. Confidence is something that I think has really hit these two in their first competitions as well. They looked more sure at Skate Canada than US Classic or Finlandia but I'm still waiting for them to take more ownership of those programs.
It is October so it's a tad worrying but if we were in January or February then I would be much much more concerned.
Their PB free skating score is 125.80 from Nebelhorn last year (a blessed event). That's quite a bit lower than the new SB 106.18 that they have now. V interesting pick up, I didn't notice that Julie Marcotte asked her that.

As for Boikova and Kozlovski, these two had growing problems last season (she got taller) and, yes, have obviously done very well so far in seniors and improved but they are also repeating their free program and haven't both just moved half way around the world to a city where they have no family and to new coaches so the comparison whilst still totally valid doesn't take everything into consideration.

Looking forward to Rostelecom, they have 3 weeks to work on their programs and I mostly hope that Katia and Harley can skate clean there. We know that they can deliver when it counts e.g. Junior Worlds 2017, Nebelhorn 2017 and JGPF 2017, 4CC18 SP, so now it's about them growing into that this season and adapting that to their new environment and material. I hope that they really stick with these programs through this season (maybe even keep the free for next season too?) because I like the choices that have been made even if they are somewhat challenging K&H. If they need to this can even be used as a season of growing pains and development (they're only 18 and 22!). If it's going to happen then I'd rather see them make mistakes, learn and go through any kind of rough patch in a post-olympic season and understandably somewhat so in a new environment than make the move and go through this at a more critical time. (on a more positive note, it most probably won't get any rougher than US Classic haha) And yes, drill those jumps and throws!!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Just tuning in...I really like this pair. Especially now they seem to be enjoying skating, not just on to get points and medals. I know, of course I would like them to do better in the results, but I'd rather see them really enjoying what they do, than just doing the elements (even if doing them well) as if it's a chore. Naturally, they have to be serious about their skating (and they are), but it's so much more attractive when you see them enjoying the process! Now, if enjoyment and results could go together, it would be perfect!

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
I too, am very concerned by the disaster free skate from Katia & Harley at Rostelecom.

Training with Nina Mozer and co. in Russia, this pair was known for their strong technical foundation. For some reason, I thought Mozer was retiring this season.

Since leaving, their skills have slowly deteriorated. Fiddly choreography hasn't helped, and they have been bypassed by Russian teams they handily beat at the junior level.

You have to wonder how difficult is has been for both of them to adjust to a completely new environment in Canada. I wonder what precipitated the original move from Moscow to Montreal in the first place.

It isn't as though they are competing any more this season, or trying anything more difficult. They simply don't look comfortable at all.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
No. I think they are just having a recalibration year. Everyone has them. They will be fine.

My bigger concern is hoping Katia is not injured. She looked so devastated. I'm a little worried about Harley as well. He looked very unsteady in the SP and I'm not so sure it was only nerves.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's not unusual to have some rough skates when transitioning between coaches/training environments, but yeah, the downward spiral they seem to be in right now is really concerning.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I actually felt a lump in my throat and had to brush away a tear because of their really bad FS, as well as her obvious unhappiness. The only good thing was the way they handled themselves in the KnC. Kudos to that. I mean, she fell hard 3 times, one of these falls definitely also due to the throwing technique but mostly her own deficit, but they still seemed to communicate and be supportive towards each other. That's quite rare with a young couple. I hope they pick it up...who knows Ekaterina might be suffering from a belated growth spurt which confuses things. Body changes make a lot of difference. She may be 18 already, but that's no guarantee the hipp-waist-breast ratio remains the same. And the way the weight is divided. Again, I truly hope they pick it up. They're such a lovely duo, and I would wish they can continue being sucessfull. X

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
They are the only ones on the entries list for Senior Pairs and I couldn't find any Junior Pairs.

It seems that Paris Stepheens / Matthew Dodds either split or retired. The latter is more probable since neither of them are on single's entries, while Matthew enjoyed competing in two disciplines. I didn't find any Junior Pairs team either, but there is a Basic Novice Pairs one. :) So Katya and Harley are not the only Australian pairs skaters so far.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It seems that Paris Stepheens / Matthew Dodds either split or retired. The latter is more probable since neither of them are on single's entries, while Matthew enjoyed competing in two disciplines.

Matthew retired from singles a few years ago to focus on pairs. But yes, they retired after Nationals last season. I've seen Paris' name on a few singles entry lists since then, but Matthew seems done with skating completely.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Sadly, it seems like they won't be heading to worlds this year. Katia and Harley are not on the entry list for Worlds.
This was definitely not their season. Nevertheless, they can now rest, recover from injury, and have a solid preparation for next season.

Diana97

Spectator
Did they move back to Russia?There are stories in Harley Instagram from Saransk. He change his profile .Now it's Moscow-Sydney

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't know if they've moved training locations, but they've been in Sydney recently - Harley posted a video of himself splatting and sliding rather hilariously on a popped solo jump, and I think it was yesterday, a story showing them boarding the plane heading for Nebelhorn. It does look like they're training part of the time in Sydney again.

Can't wait to see them skate at Nebelhorn! I hope it's a better start to their season than the lung-straining altitude of US Classic was last year. :)

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
A sad outing for Katia and Harley at the Nebelhorn Trophy. Considering they were third at the event two years ago, the team looked like a mere shadow of themselves in Germany.

Not competing for almost a year, it must be difficult to get back into the groove. I wonder if Windsor is still carrying his foot injury as well.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just came across this quote in an interview with Katia and Harley's coach posted on FSU:

It was a desperate measure to offer changing the boot model and quite surprisingly it solved the problem. Of course we lost time - it was just 1.5 weeks before the Nebelhorn trophy, but from that moment on we started improving.

If they were only able to get properly back into training their programs a week and a half before Nebelhorn, it's amazing they skated as well as they did there, and not surprising they're still playing catch-up as of Skate America. They probably will be for a while yet. It's good to hear that changing boots seems to have solved Harley's mystery leg issue, though!

It sounds like they're mainly based in Australia for the moment. A shame Canada didn't seem to work out, but it's always worth trying something, and they have a great support system in place in Sydney now.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm absolutely gutted for them both. Poor Katia; it sounds like her injuries are pretty bad. I really hope she can heal well and move forward with her life in good spirits, and Harley can find a new partner to work with soon.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I didn't want to ever have to post something like this in a Fan Fest, but felt that today's tragic events needed to be acknowledged in this thread.

After struggling for some time with depression, Katia has taken her own life. She was 20 years old.

There is a thread over in The Edge where we have been discussing the events as the sad news trickled through, and have been paying tribute to Katia:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?86220

Here is Harley's response:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCx2L1Appxa/

As I said in the other thread, boys but this is bound to be hard on him.

Although this is a very sad occasion, Katia and Harley brought a lot of people a lot of joy during their time skating together. So, having already written a tribute to Katia in the other thread, I feel that here would be a good place to remember the good times.

With this in mind, here are the only videos I can find on YouTube from that week when they made history in Taipei:

Alexandrovskaya / Windsor - 2017 Junior World Championships SP (No Commentary)
Alexandrovskaya / Windsor - 2017 Junior World Championships FS (No Commentary)
Alexandrovskaya / Windsor - 2017 Junior World Championships FS (Canadian Commentary)
Alexandrovskaya / Windsor - 2017 Junior World Championships EX (Taiwanese Commentary)

Fortunately, the Junior GP YouTube channel means that we do have the videos from when they won their second Junior Major the following season:

Alexandrovskaya / Windsor - 2017 Junior Junior GP Final SP
Alexandrovskaya / Windsor - 2017 Junior Junior GP Final SP Interview
Alexandrovskaya / Windsor - 2017 Junior Junior GP Final FS
Alexandrovskaya / Windsor - 2017 Junior Junior GP Final FS Interview
Alexandrovskaya / Windsor - 2017 Junior Junior GP Final EX

Katia's life may have been short, but she achieved so much in that time. So, thank you Katia for leaving us with so many happy memories.

My thoughts go out to her family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
This such sad sad news, the kind that makes me mad too, wishing that something could have been done to prevent this tragedy; makes one feels helpless... My condolences, prayers, thoughts to her family, friends