Polina Kostiukovich & Dmitrii Ialin | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Polina Kostiukovich & Dmitrii Ialin

hanca

Record Breaker
I don't see how they can be beaten, even with problems with jumps. The whole situation with them is tricky. They decided to not jump (both of them!) in test skates but does it mean that they don't jump at all? Don't think so. Hope they return to the game quickly and all the mess with JGP turns to be just a try to give other Russian pairs a chance on the international stage.

How they can be beaten? Seriously? Pretty easily. The difference between 3-1-3 and 1-1-1 is huge. For example, the value for a triple-euler-triple is around six points without GOE. The value of 1-1-1- is roughly 1.50. Then you have the second jump element, where the value difference between a single and triple will be again some 3-4 points. So if K/I were Panfilova/Rylov, they might get away with skating without triples, if the rest of their program is completely clean and have level 4 on everything, and if their jumps are at least doubles and not singles. But if they stick to their singles the same way as they did at the test skates, they will be beaten definitely by Sobinina/Volodin with his new partner, because at the competition a week or two ago they scored around 170. They would also be at risk of being beaten by Mukhortova/Evgeniev, who have scored 170 in the past, and by Buzaeva/Rakhmanin, who have never competed together but in their previous partnerships they both also reached scores over 170. While I am a huge fan of Kostiukovich/Ialin, I don’t think the judges will be able to hold them up if they skate the way they skated at the test skates. The field is too competitive for them to be able to afford that. The loss of points on jumps would be too huge to make it up on other elements and on PCS. And if even completely unknown Russian junior pairs can turn up at the JGP and score 178 as Artemeva/Nazarychev did last week, the federation suddenly doesn’t have any motivation to hold anyone up. Having too many decent pairs mean that anyone is replaceable. If a pair doesn’t deliver, they will be replaced. The same way as they have been doing in ladies in the past few years.

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Nicely done.

SP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKjSXA2kxBE

Will have to wait and see how FS goes but in SP they looked about 100 times better than Pepeleva/Pleshkov and Scheglova/Kalashnikov combined at JGP Poland.

Thank you for the link! :thank:

And oh yes, they look great!! Did you see how close they skated together and missed nothing! My babies are ready for seniors! Maybe too soon, let me wait for the FP. :agree2:

Okay. So why were they taken off the JGP?? I smell a rat!! :biggrin:

The Finn

Record Breaker
They did pretty well in FS also but it is clear that she has lost her triple jumps. They finished 2nd.

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
They did pretty well in FS also but it is clear that she has lost her triple jumps. They finished 2nd.

Initially I mistook Sobinina & Volodin for Polina & Dmitrii because they look somewhat similar w/o closeups and thought WOW they were great. But as you said K/I skated good, making the same mistakes as last year, and was simply out-skated in the Free. Still I'm happy to see them skate, and hope they make it to the championship. I just love that girl's ponytail action. :laugh:

SkateSkates

Medalist
Is there any chance that they would do the GP? They are age eligible and now that Zabiyako and Enbert are out a couple of spots opened up.

Not even sure if they are ready for it/if they want to do senior internationals yet, but they are at the top of the replacement list since they skipped the JGP entirely. I would selfishly love to see them on the GP if they are ready, but completely understand wanting to train at home to get through a hard time.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is there any chance that they would do the GP? They are age eligible and now that Zabiyako and Enbert are out a couple of spots opened up.

Not even sure if they are ready for it/if they want to do senior internationals yet, but they are at the top of the replacement list since they skipped the JGP entirely. I would selfishly love to see them on the GP if they are ready, but completely understand wanting to train at home to get through a hard time.

Their coaches seem to like to take it slow in terms of moving up to seniors, so I'd be very surprised if they would want them doing it now when that wasn't the plan for the season and they've obviously had issues with their training. But we'll see.

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
My favorite Russian junior pair! She is a star, a real firecracker on ice

Ditto...Love her ponytail action and pure sass! :laugh:
And I love the fact that they don't see themselves as classical Russian skaters and prefer more modern musical choices.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
Ditto...Love her ponytail action and pure sass! :laugh:
And I love the fact that they don't see themselves as classical Russian skaters and prefer more modern musical choices.

Yesss loved their survivor program last season. Hoping they make it to junior worlds this year!

icetug

Medalist
After placing 2nd at the 1st stage of Cup of Russia they won the 2nd stage today :). Still not in their usual good shape though... so they got 176.57 (vs. previuos 182.24) and were visibly in quite bad mood. Hope their results are good enough to take part in Nationals... as I want them at Worlds so much.

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks for the video links! :thank:

They look good, and ready to make their senior debut. I wish them the best and can't wait to see them on the GP. I love them so much and can't quite explain it....I think it's their modernness I like so much. :love:

Lana05

Final Flight
Ah, Polina made a fall at Russian Cup. I hoped they'll fight for gold but they are only 7th after SP. With the gap of nearly 15 points with Mishina/Galliamov they don't have much chances.

hanca

Record Breaker
It wasn’t just the fall. Now they compete in seniors, most pairs did triple in the SP, they did only double axel, so that’s another few points they left on the table. And the lift, there was some struggle, he slipped or something, that could have impacted on their mark too... I so hope she will be back in full strength for their FS! It could have been just a bad day!

happycamper2554

On the Ice
The official recap from the federation said one of them is sick and has a fever. I think ita polina but couldnt tell from translation. Hoping tomorrow goes better

icetug

Medalist
Their FS was almost flowless so they finished 5th with quite good scores (better than M/M if it counts for the possible JWC substitution).

I bet they want to forget this season as soon as possible as they were struggling so much.
Here is an interview Dima gave in October, after they won the 2nd stage of the Cup of Russia: https://www.oblgazeta.ru/sport/figure-skating/100297/. It was not only puberty issues they were suffering from (I wrote "they" as poor Polina was in very bad mood while on a diet and Dima had to forbear it). Dima had his back injured before test skates and a finger broken before the 1st stage of the Cup. If one of them was in fact sick during the finals, it's only a confirmation how many health problems they had.

Just pray they won't give up and show their best next season. It would be so much easier for them move up to seniors after a successful season but they have still a chance to shine in the future.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Happy 17th birthday to Polina :)