2018 Skate Canada Challenge | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate Canada Challenge

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I did film several of the guys, in case anyone would like to see their performances from a different angle, but because my fancams are roughly 1 GB each, I can only upload two videos a day on Dailymotion (and hopefully I won't get hit with a music violation).

Joseph Phan SP (Fancam 1080p): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6aw8xw

Nicolas Nadeau SP (Fancam 1080p): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6aw9we

Thanks for the info. I did notice that the man Nam was talking to by the boards wasn't Gregor Filipowski, so I was wondering if he had a new coach. Does that mean no more RoNam? :drama:

I plan to be in Pierrefonds later today (although I can't make it tomorrow because of a family obligation :disapp: ), so I sincerely hope all the guys have good long programs that they can be proud of.

I'll try not to scream my head off like a maniac this time. :p
thanks for the films.. always nice to see fancams as it gives the impression of speed better

re nam... well i think he in richmond... YRSA doesn't that stand for York and Richmond? if so, perhaps distance won't be too much for survival.. however, i think Roman is into his computer more than into nam. LOL

I wish we could have heard what Robert Burk was saying to Nam... he was VERY talkative. This is my advice to Nam at this point : try to stick with one coach for a little while and get good technical advice.. changing every two minutes will just mess you up.

have fun later in Pierrefonds and we don't mind the screaming ;)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
re nam... well i think he in richmond... YRSA doesn't that stand for York and Richmond? if so, perhaps distance won't be too much for survival..

I assume you mean he's in Richmond Hill, part of the GTA? (Richmond is in Ottawa.) YRSA stands for York Region Skating Academy. You're right that they're still fairly close distance-wise, but Roman did say in his vlog, "Now that I have a lot of time, and no friends to spend it with..." (Conrad and the other YRSA boys don't count?), it sounds like RoNam can't be as chummy as they used to be.

however, i think Roman is into his computer more than into nam. LOL

:rofl: That reminded me of a Futurama episode about robosexuality.

I wish we could have heard what Robert Burk was saying to Nam... he was VERY talkative. This is my advice to Nam at this point : try to stick with one coach for a little while and get good technical advice.. changing every two minutes will just mess you up.

I 100% agree with you. :thumbsup:

nadster

Final Flight
thanks for the films.. always nice to see fancams as it gives the impression of speed better

re nam... well i think he in richmond... YRSA doesn't that stand for York and Richmond? if so, perhaps distance won't be too much for survival.. however, i think Roman is into his computer more than into nam. LOL

I

YRSA stands for York Region Skating Academy. Richmond Hill is a town in York Region; immediately north of Thornhill.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
4T from Stephen! :clapper: He's popping jumps...seems injured or recovering. This is the first time he'll be off the podium in 3.5 seasons. :eeking: But good for him for fighting through this.

It's too bad Ruest/Wolfe WD. Are they ok?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Little rough on the spin for Trennt. Throws seemed a little low, but I don't really remember how theirs usually look. I couldn't help but think while watching their lifts, if only Michael could lift like that. There's not much of a height difference between Trennt and Evelyn, but the lifts look so solid.

They beat K/D easily here, and R/W WD. I really wish they had their senior minimums so they could do 4CC if they place top 6 at Nats.

nadster

Final Flight
Damn it. Does that mean they are out? They were on the national team.

Up to 12 pairs teams can compete at nationals. Since there are not 12 senior teams all teams qualify provided they have met minimum free skate TES scores in any competition over the last 3 years.

So Ruest/Wolfe can go to nationals.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Up to 12 pairs teams can compete at nationals. Since there are not 12 senior teams all teams qualify provided they have met minimum free skate TES scores in any competition over the last 3 years.

So Ruest/Wolfe can go to nationals.

You have my back again! Thanks. Very relieved

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
YRSA stands for York Region Skating Academy. Richmond Hill is a town in York Region; immediately north of Thornhill.

Richmond Hill is/was also the home of Elvis Stojko. So don't be dissing it.

Richmond Hill has two figure skating training facilities: the Richmond Training Center and York Region Skating Academy. Tracy Wilson and Rob McCall trained in Richmond Hill at the Elgin Barrow Arena throughout their competitive skating career (1981-1988).

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
FYI Meagan D. said this about Ruest/Wolfe on twitter:
They were injured in training last week and aren't feeling well enough to do a long program. Nothing serious though.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The juniors this season aren't getting anything to help them get minimum TES scores to go to 4CC. Not Lajoie/Lagha, not Walsh/Michaud, nor Jospeh. This indicates to me that Skate Canada is thinking of sending them to a B event in late January or February to get them ready for Junior Worlds (like they did with Bavarian Open this year). This way they can send some senior teams/skaters who've been around longer to 4CC without having to justify keeping the juniors at home. The problem is that the juniors are better than some of these seniors...so we'll have them move up next season and have no international senior level experience but they'll be better than lower ranked teams/skaters who've gotten more experience.

What a headache. I wouldn't want to be the one making this decision but I know this isn't what I would have chosen to do.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The juniors this season aren't getting anything to help them get minimum TES scores to go to 4CC. Not Lajoie/Lagha, not Walsh/Michaud, nor Jospeh. This indicates to me that Skate Canada is thinking of sending them to a B event in late January or February to get them ready for Junior Worlds (like they did with Bavarian Open this year). This way they can send some senior teams/skaters who've been around longer to 4CC without having to justify keeping the juniors at home. The problem is that the juniors are better than some of these seniors...so we'll have them move up next season and have no international senior level experience but they'll be better than lower ranked teams/skaters who've gotten more experience.

What a headache. I wouldn't want to be the one making this decision but I know this isn't what I would have chosen to do.

thank you... this is exactly what I am thinking and i tried to write this on the Canadian thread....

they will give a swan song competition (4cc) to guys who are retiring etc... which is nice... but won't do much to develop the kids who seem to be ready now.

For Lajoie/Lagha... at least Soucisse-Firus deserve to get competitions but I would put LL as number 5 in Canada right now...that's definitely 4CC material.

I am not really worried about pairs... we have a few pairs who are senior and can get some more mileage. W/M impressed me today though... I get tessa and scott vibes looking at them.... gorgeous couple on the ice.

BUT THE BOYS : get them out.

I think Skate Canada just thought : meh... we have 5 on the national team... only two spots at nationals... no need to help the juniors....

it's okay.. i am all for keeping Joseph at home if he keeps skating almost flawless programs.

Another very skate canada thing : since when to top ten seniors at challenge get scores like 50-60 PCS... I mean really? These guys have competed internationally and got in the 70s... and then you have a clear great performer like Joseph getting below 8 in every category?

I wonder, if Patrick had skated at Challenge if he would have broken the 9s.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
on a side note..

one announcer (rink 4 men) she is pretty good... but i was watching the pairs and OMG... that lady couldn't speak French to save her life... so when people from GS ask... do you need to speak French to live in Montreal... well... there you go... ;) you can even work at a rink...