Who is going to Skate America? | Golden Skate

Who is going to Skate America?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Logistics between navigating Thanksgiving and the inconvenient location of Lake Placid makes it tough, but it is a great line up, especially in dance and pairs.

I am thinking about it...

bevybean

On the Ice
My daughter was given the chance to apply to be a sweeper! She and I are very excited!! My husband not so much because of thanksgiving and we usually get out Christmas tree on black Friday. (I suppose we could buy one in Lake Placid, but it's a long drive back to NJ). Excited for the line up too

If my daughter wasn't given the chance to be a sweeper, we wouldn't be going though.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll be there! Looking forward to it! First time at SA, although this is my 3rd major live skating competition.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll be there too. I've been going to SA every year since Detroit 2013! :yahoo:

Not looking forward to the 8hr drive though, more since it is over Thanksgiving weekend :eek:hwell: And I'll have to skip the gala since I didn't get that following Monday off from work :scowl:

VegMom

On the Ice
Thought about it but we have just done too much traveling already this year.

And I'm not sure I would have the patience honestly; I can barely handle my own son's competitions. Sad but true.

AidenAiena

Rinkside
I will be there :hap10: And, since it is over Thanksgiving, I could take an extra day off and will be at the Thursday practices. I've never gone to practices before and have heard it's a fun experience.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll be there! Looking forward to it! First time at SA, although this is my 3rd major live skating competition.

Oh you will! It'll be nice to see you again!

I'm going to be there too, and this time I'm bringing my mom and our foreign exchange student too. I'm super excited; worlds '16 was so good I can't wait to do it all over again--well, on a smaller scale anyway. Will there be any GS meetups? Hopefully so!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh you will! It'll be nice to see you again!

I'm going to be there too, and this time I'm bringing my mom and our foreign exchange student too. I'm super excited; worlds '16 was so good I can't wait to do it all over again--well, on a smaller scale anyway. Will there be any GS meetups? Hopefully so!

I know it's early but I might organize something if nobody else wants to. I'm thinking a brunch on Saturday or Sunday noonish before the competitions start at 2PM. There's a brunch place about five walking minutes from the arena called the Farmhouse Cafe I've never been there but the location is convenient and it's gotten good reviews.

If I can get a headcount earlier that week, I can make a reservation. Looking forward to seeing you and meeting your mom and exchange student!

bevybean

On the Ice
There's a brunch place about five walking minutes from the arena called the Farmhouse Cafe I've never been there but the location is convenient and it's gotten good reviews.

We went for lunch in July while we were there. I loved it! I had breakfast because that is my favorite meal. It seemed like they did traditional stuff with a bit of a twist to it. Nice casual atmosphere. However, it was a bit on the small side.

And as a follow up to my other post: my daughter will be a sweeper for the Short Dance!!

nancela

Rinkside
Nancela

Logistics between navigating Thanksgiving and the inconvenient location of Lake Placid makes it tough, but it is a great line up, especially in dance and pairs.

I am thinking about it...

I am going and will arrive on Thanksgiving afternoon. Hope, you will decide to come, Doris. I had hoped to meet you at one of the GS meetups when I was at WC in 2016, but I heard you were there only for a short time.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We went for lunch in July while we were there. I loved it! I had breakfast because that is my favorite meal. It seemed like they did traditional stuff with a bit of a twist to it. Nice casual atmosphere. However, it was a bit on the small side.

And as a follow up to my other post: my daughter will be a sweeper for the Short Dance!!

Thanks for the info, bevybean, glad you liked the food and atmosphere. I have no idea yet how many people would come to brunch, but would it be good for a group of up to 8-10 people?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have been there before for SA and saw Yuna win there. :love:
Its a great town and place for the event if you can drive there, but that time of year, flying in from Spokane somewhere and driving in is a PITA.
Sorry I am going to miss it and seeing y'all. Maybe I see some of you at Nats....
(Lots of good food in Lake P.)

violaboy

Rinkside
(First post!)

I'll be there on Friday early afternoon, just in time for the competition. Excited for my first ever live competition!

Alifyre

On the Ice
I want to go, but am having a hard time figuring out transportation/shelter, especially since I'll likely be traveling by myself. Does anyone know of any affordable hotels that are walking distance (honestly I'm willing to walk like half an hour to get to the rink I just don't have a car) from the arena?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Hotel Northwoods was not too expensive last time I went, and was in walking distance.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I want to go, but am having a hard time figuring out transportation/shelter, especially since I'll likely be traveling by myself. Does anyone know of any affordable hotels that are walking distance (honestly I'm willing to walk like half an hour to get to the rink I just don't have a car) from the arena?

When I went to Adult Nationals, I stayed at the Pines Inn which I really liked. As I recall, the rink was within a half hour walk.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If we do a GS brunch, I'm thinking Saturday since the FOFS brunch is on Sunday (which I'm planning to attend). Any other FOFS (Friends of Figure Skating) attending the skater's meet and greet/brunch?

Also, I have a question about practices - there is no practice pass in my ticket pack for Thanksgiving day. I will be in Lake Placid on Thursday and wonder if I can use any of my tickets for that (since all of them say All Event + Practice)? I suppose I can ask the organizers but for those who've done SA before, can you confirm if Thursday practice is open to ticket holders?

AidenAiena

Rinkside
If we do a GS brunch, I'm thinking Saturday since the FOFS brunch is on Sunday (which I'm planning to attend). Any other FOFS (Friends of Figure Skating) attending the skater's meet and greet/brunch?

Also, I have a question about practices - there is no practice pass in my ticket pack for Thanksgiving day. I will be in Lake Placid on Thursday and wonder if I can use any of my tickets for that (since all of them say All Event + Practice)? I suppose I can ask the organizers but for those who've done SA before, can you confirm if Thursday practice is open to ticket holders?

I'm going to the FOFS brunch Sunday! It will be my first time attending one :yahoo: