2018 Olympic Season: Ice Dance | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Ice Dance

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
The Road to PyeongChang 2018

Which teams are you rooting for this season and why?

Enjoy our Ice Dancing Olympic season preview trailer!

Last edited by a moderator:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If we are dreaming : Canadian Swap ;) MUHAHA

But yes... I love Virtue and Moir, they skate as one, their programs are intricate and powerful.

I love Weapo as well : they show something else on the ice with their stature and their elegance. I think their Spartacus FD needs work but could develop into an epic program.

I am more than disappointed this year with P/C's programs. Sorry... My admiration seems to drop year after year since their fabulous Mozart. Moonlight Sonata for me is a huge missed opportunity.... It never picks up in the second half... so I am waiting to see how it will evolve this year.

I haven't seen the Shibs yet but I am always amazed with their precision.

Hubbell Donohue were a very pleasant surprise for me last year at worlds... will they redeem themselves?

I always love Anna and Luca... so I will also be rooting for them... ( I think I have forgiven them now for their 0.01 WC title over my beloved Weapo.)

Roast Toast

Medalist
Gaby and Guillaume carried this quad on their shoulders until Tessa and Scott returned, so I'm rooting for them to bring the OGM home :hap10:. It's their first senior year where I looove their SD so I'm sure they'll do very well. I'm going to feel really bad for the American team that doesn't get their medal through the team event, so whichever one doesn't get to skate there is my pick for the bronze.

Barb

Record Breaker
The Road to PyeongChang 2018

Which teams are you rooting for this season and why?

Enjoy our Ice Dancing Olympic season preview trailer!

Wow, that video is amazing :2thumbs: :popcorn:, good job!!

I am rooting for Maia/Alex and Kana/Chris :hap93: :hap10:

Shibs: they brought me to ice dance fandom when they were just juniors, I was so invested in Mao and she was at her peak, so that was an huge achievement of them to catch my attention at that time. I have followed all their trajectory, their growth is undeniable, they give everything of them in their skating and their programs.

Kana and Chris: I fell in love with them this season, their SD, FD and exh are amazing!! and Kana especially is so expressive.

But I am truly excited about all the teams because this is my favorite discipline :hap85:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Here's the Olympic spots for convenience

2017 World Championships Ice Dance results
2017 Nebelhorn Trophy Ice Dance Results

3 Spots

Canada (1 + 4 = 5)
USA (3 + 7 = 10)

2 Spots

France (2 + 18 = 20)
Russia (5 + 10 = 15)
Italy (6 + 11 = 17)

2018 Winter Olympics: Ice Dance
(1) Canada
(2) Canada
(3) Canada
(4) USA
(5) USA
(6) USA
(7) France
(8) France
(9) Russia
(10) Russia
(11) Italy
(12) Italy
(13) Israel
-----Denmark (returned spot)*
(14) Poland
(15) Ukraine
(16) China
(17) Turkey
(18) Spain
(22) South Korea
(23) Czech Republic
(24) Slovakia
(R4) Belarus
(R5) Hungary
(R6) Latvia
(R7) Azerbaijan
(R8) Estonia
(R9) Australia
(R10) Sweden

*Denmark earned a spot at Worlds but has returned it to be reallocated at Nebelhorn

pearly

Record Breaker
I realized the other day France would have had three spots had they calculated and only sent P/C to Worlds.

Notice how four years ago Canton was the top school for ice dance and now there is only one team from there that might medal. In only four years Marie France and Patrice have taken that top spot.

alain06fr

On the Ice
I am more than disappointed this year with P/C's programs. Sorry... My admiration seems to drop year after year since their fabulous Mozart. Moonlight Sonata for me is a huge missed opportunity.... It never picks up in the second half... so I am waiting to see how it will evolve this year.

Completely opposite feelings on my side.

After the Mozart program, I thought "it's just so brilliant, can they show us something greater?".

Then they had to withdraw from the Grand-Prix season due to Gabriella's injury and come back for their very first int'l competition at Europeans.

Bratislava, January 28th, 2016, end of the afternoon, I think I will never forget that moment when Gabriella and Guillaume performed "Rain In Your Black Eyes” almost for the very first time (French Nat'l being some kind of internal test). The arena was full, completely full.. Then the magic started almost after the very first notes. But what about these deep and tremendous silences between applauses... That was the first time I was so impressed by silences during a competition... Really... In the end, a standing ovation, not the first one - they already got standing ovations in Stockholm and Shanghai - but, again, one more standing ovation. Worlds in Boston were like the consecration of a very short season for P/C but what a short season! Once again, so many strong feelings and art on ice, followed by another standing ovation, the only one granted to a non US couple, and a new FD world record...

Last season was more complicated. The SD was reworked so many times, and was probably never finalised. At the same time, they decided to challenge themselves with the free dance which was a nightmare to be choreographed by the coaches (MF told me in Paris at the French Grand-Prix that they had no reference whatsoever with such style of music) but step by step, with patience, hard work, they managed to create the magic out of a dissonant music no one believed in, except them. They wanted to show how they could touch the audience with ice dance as an art even with such a music. And they succeeded so brilliantly to reach that goal ... in Helsinki. "Stillness - Oddudua" in Helsinki ... What a gorgeous moment! And once again, the whole arena stood up for another standing ovation, the only standing ovation of the 2017 Worlds free dance competition... And, another FD world record...

I think their FD performance in Helsinki is probably one of the key moments of their career. "Something happened". After a season with ups and downs, and this FD challenging (and somehow crazy) music choice, they broke the ice... They learned so much by pushing the limits. Soon or late, they would make the best of it.

Now, we're in the olympic season and I understand both programs were meticulously prepared on so many levels: technical, artistic and mental. They knew exactly what they wanted to do. Gabby told us in Ostrava they were in contact with a great dancer for the Olympic FD. Now we know she was talking about Jeffrey Cirio and we were in... January 2017. As for the person who convinced Chris Dean to choreograph the short, well, congratulations!!! AFAIK, working with Chris Dean was so fun and, of course, so professional. I would even say that Guillaume is somehow the spiritual son of Chris Dean, just my personal opinion...

Their SD is definitely brilliant... To me, it's their best short dance ever. Gabby and Guillaume have a lot of fun to perform it. One just needs to watch the Finlandia Trophy videos and look to their faces. Gabriella is tremendous in this rumba/samba dance. She perfectly brings this typical energy and joy we expect from women dancing latin music. And what can I say about Guillaume's talent as dancer? We know he practices dance outside the rink, different kinds of dances BTW. To me, he's the best male dancer of all this season. It's so obvious in the short...

Last but not least, Moonlight Sonata... What a divine artistic moment full of softness... Many couples got inspired by Gabriella and Guillaume in the recent years but I think G&G are definitely the best to perform and interpret such a deep music. Though this program is - I think - not yet finalised, one can see how brilliant it is so far. Like for the SD, transitions are gorgeous, really gorgeous: transition to initiate the twizzle sequence, transition at the end of the twizzle sequence, transition after the last spin, etc, etc. This program is like a constant flow of emotions. Gabriella seems completely inhabited by the music and the drama inspired by the first movement of the sonata. As for Guillaume, he perfectly embodies the extreme sensibility of this piano composition. I am also amazed by their ability to use their whole bodies to express feelings with arm and head movements. I think they are stronger than ever. Congrats to Jeffrey Cirio! Congrats to Catherine Pinard! Well, congrats to all the coaches who helped them find in themselves the capacity to create such a chemistry and emotional appeal.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I so sincerely hope that the Shibs will make it to the podium, somewhere within this Olympic cycle they made me follow ice dance and I couldn't be happier for that :hap10:

I think Papadakis and Cizeron have the edge in the free dance, so it will all come down to whether Virtue and Moir can build up a lead in the short dance.

I can't wait for the Grand Prix season and U.S. nationals to see which American team is able to separate itself from the other two. Hubbel and Donohue have been getting a lot of notice over the last year, but I wouldn't count out Chock and Bates as the biggest competition for the Shibs.

Weathergal

Medalist
Who am I NOT excited for? LOL I have really grown to enjoy ice dance, and there so many couples I enjoy watching.

The ones I'm most excited for this season:
Gabriella Papadakis / Guillaume Cizeron - I understand their "Moonlight Sonata" is a work in progress (aren't we all? ha-ha), but they've already pleasantly surprised me with where they are with their Latin SD, and I think they have much more to show us. There is something about them that is just exquisite, and it feels sincere to me.

Kaitlin Weaver / Andrew Poje - I've been a fan of this couple for a while, and they've certainly risen and fallen, and it is WONDERFUL to see them rising again. I would be THRILLED if they could sneak in for an Olympic medal (although very sad if all the amazing US teams are shut out of the medals). If they're not on the Olympics podium, I certainly hope to see them on the Worlds podium. They seem like such lovely people. I love their elegance, passion, speed, lines, and chemistry on the ice.

Madison Hubbell / Zachary Donohue - I've enjoyed watching this couple for a while and really admire their commitment to improve and to each other. I think their growth has been amazing, and I'd love to see them sneak in for a medal, too.

In fact, Papadakis / Cizeron, Weaver / Poje, Hubbell / Donohue would probably be my dream podium. And it's not that I hate Virtue / Moir (or any other skaters)...I just don't have room for everyone! :laugh:

Penny Coomes / Nicholas Buckland - I was so thrilled they earned an Olympic spot for the UK at Nebelhorn, and it is wonderful to see them back on the ice and doing so well after Penny suffered through a horrific knee injury. I can't even imagine the pain and work she has gone through to get to this point. I am certainly rooting for them!

Kana Muramoto / Chris Reed - Chris has suffered with knee troubles, kept skating through his sister Cathy's retirement, and has found a wonderful partner in the process. He has always been a sentimental favorite of mine, and I'm a fan of her as well. I'm very happy they've earned a spot at Nebelhorn for Japan.

Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier - I really like this team, too, and it is always fun to see what they'll do next - and what they'll wear doing it!

Maia Shibutani / Alex Shibutani - I'm a fan of this team for many reasons, especially their perseverance and loyalty to each other, and the way they've reinvented themselves and found their artistic voice these past few seasons.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I love watching ice dance. I wish there was a way for me to understand it that didn’t involve reading the incomprehensible rule book, lol. 😐

I’m afraid that there won’t be any surprises at the Games. I’m worried that the competition will be very predictable.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I am rooting for Maia & Alex Shibutani.

They are the ones I connect with the most on the ice. They have kick____ difficulty. They sell every style of program--the sharp, fast movement and the soft beautiful kind as well. Their positions are exquisite. Their unison is to die for. They are the most synchronized, together team on the ice. Every element looks like it extends from her fingertips to his. Every element on the music.

When I watch them skate, I care.

I like many, many dance teams in the hunt this season: Cappellini & Lanotte, Weaver & Poje, Bobrova & Soloviev, Hubbell & Donohue.

But Maia & Alex first.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Just not Canadian enough? :sarcasm:

i am sorry but i named many non-canadian teams in my post that i appreciate.... it's not because i made a joke about a canadian sweep which is 100% unlikely to happen, that i am blinded by national bias...

saying that i liked P/C better in Mozart than in Beethoven is something shared by many, including P/C hardcore fans... no need to make a national discussion about this.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think Papadakis and Cizeron have the edge in the free dance, so it will all come down to whether Virtue and Moir can build up a lead in the short dance.

I can't wait for the Grand Prix season and U.S. nationals to see which American team is able to separate itself from the other two. Hubbel and Donohue have been getting a lot of notice over the last year, but I wouldn't count out Chock and Bates as the biggest competition for the Shibs.

that's your opinion of course.. and i respect that....i think though that this description is more related to last year.... the SD this year are closer and I feel that V/M have a stronger FD than P/C this year though.... but YMMV.. and I see already that my opinion is not necessarily of the majority.... and that's fine with me

peepsquick

Final Flight
i am sorry but i named many non-canadian teams in my post that i appreciate.... it's not because i made a joke about a canadian swap which is 100% unlikely to happen, that i am blinded by national bias...

saying that i liked P/C better in Mozart than in Beethoven is something shared by many, including P/C hardcore fans... no need to make a national discussion about this.

Re-read many of your post ... you do.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Re-read many of your post ... you do.

I guess I have sinned from cheering for skaters from my own country. Mea culpa... You can also read posts of mine that cheer for many other skaters.... i am a pretty international fan... Loving Viritue and Moir and Weapo doesn't even mean one is Canadian as they are two very appreciated teams from all around the world.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Their SD is definitely brilliant. Gabby and Guillaume have a lot of fun to perform it. One just needs to watch the Finlandia Trophy videos and look to their faces. Gabriella is tremendous in this rumba/samba dance. She perfectly brings this typical energy and joy we expect from women dancing latin music. And what can I say about Guillaume's talent as dancer? We know he practices dance outside the rink, different kinds of dances BTW. To me, he's the best male dancer of all this season. It's so obvious in the short...

Gabby does sell that program really well. I'm not sold on the program as a whole yet (of course it's so early and last year their programs grew on me a lot), but her performance does make me really enjoy it because you can tell she does. You mentioning of Guillaume's dancing off ice reminds me of that awesome video of him and Tessa dancing hip hop together ("When Tessa put her swag on", as he said). Probably the two best dancers in ice dance (not that their partners aren't great too). When it gets all tense with the fans of the two teams, I like to go back and watch some of the cute moments between them, like that video. There's Scott and Gabby goofing off before the GPF SD warm-up, Tessa cuddling with Guillaume at one of the Gala practices, and Tessa and Scott checking on Guillaume when he showed up to the Worlds SD after cutting his hand.

Anyways, my dream podium would be Tessa and Scott for gold, then Gabby and Guillaume, then Madi and Zach (or Kaitlyn and Andrew). H/D and W/P are my favourites of the teams in the mix for bronze. I'm really liking what I've seen from Madi and Zach so far this year in terms of programs. I felt like Weapo's were more unfinished at their CS event, so I don't have a full impression yet.

I'm also really liking that the top teams (excluding the Shibs, C/L, and C/B since we haven't seen them yet) seem to have pretty different FD's so far.

Also my biggest request for this ice dance season is for Charlie White to interview people again. His Worlds interview with Tessa and Scott was so great: https://youtu.be/BIuZopENeDE

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Between V/M and P/C, I'm still rooting for the Canadians. Having seen both free dances, I think they are fairly neck-and-neck, but V/M have the advantage just due to the dynamics of Moulin Rouge. Moonight Sonata just doesn't scream Olympic just yet because of how subdued it is. But P/C have the capability to add magic to their free dances near the end of the season so they might win be over eventually.

As for the American teams, Hubbell/Donahue are my favorites. I like the point of contrast in their free dance. If they can add some sultry-goodness, it will be very delicious.