2018-2019 Figure Skating Events | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Figure Skating Events

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I know we need geographic distribution, but I really wish one of the Autumn Classic or US Classic were removed, because the inflation is ridiculous and now they'll count for SB scores...

???I don't know about all the disciplines, but the caller for the U.S. Classic in dance has hardly given a level 3 footwork sequence in 2 years. It is often teams' lowest scoring dance event of the year. (For example, Hawayek & Baker skated an essentially clean version of the same FD they skated the previous season. Their score dropped into the 90's at the U.S. Classic, when they had been over 100 essentially the entire previous season and went on to score over 100 all the rest of this season as well).

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I know we need geographic distribution, but I really wish one of the Autumn Classic or US Classic were removed, because the inflation is ridiculous and now they'll count for SB scores...

If you remember well scoring at Lombardia was way worse than at US classics or Autumn Classics :scratch2: I was all for removing Lombardia from CS and give it to another senior b

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
If you remember well scoring at Lombardia was way worse than at US classics or Autumn Classics :scratch2: I was all for removing Lombardia from CS and give it to another senior b

oh yeah I forgot about them
they were the worst :slink:

frida80

Record Breaker
Philly International is at the same as Asian Open! Will USFS send anyone to Asian Open? It’s really early.

tzazu

Medalist
oh please... all challengers have some sort of inflation... mordovian ornament WAKAKA.... seriously, what I call inflation is a huge difference from when a skater skates about the same program... if we take Yuzu's SP at ACI, he was flawless... he got almost the same score at the Olympics for a similar skate...

what is unfair, as you pointed out, is that skaters in Europe can just drive , take a short train or hop for a very brief flight to get to at least one or two series B... while asian and north american skaters often cannot do so.... which means for Canadians that they mostly get the chance to compete ONCE and only ONCE in the series rather than 2 , 3 or even 4 times like some of the european skaters...

If anything, they should remove some of the European competitions and spread to Asia.

It's a matter of size, Europe is sooo small compared to North America or Asia and it's so easy to go from one point to other :) In addition to this, there are many countries wishing to hold competitions, which not always happen in North America or Asia. When the countries submite their candidature for holding an event (e.g. for Euros or 4CC or Junior Worlds), sadly the list of countries from Asia or North America is not very long (4CC or Juniors Worlds)

mrsaybia

Rinkside
*sigh*. I knew I shouldn't have got my hopes up. I really thought the Netherlands would at least give hosting Worlds 2021 a shot, after missing out on 2020. But no, instead they focus on, what else, hosting Worlds short track and speed skating.

Interesting to see Milan give Worlds another shot. I'm so not interested in returning there, however, even though it was pretty well organized (better than I'd expected, actually).
Fingers crossed for Stockholm! :pray:

Yes, I was hoping too for the Netherlands! Too bad that all the money is going to the speed skating! Milano for the second time. It was a great experience there, although IF it's in Milano again, then we are booking an appartment so closer to the venue, but I doubt it will be Milano again. After two years outside Europe in 2019 and 2020 I really hope it's at least in Europe! Then I'm crossing my fingers too for Stockholm!!!! When is the announcement coming? In September from this year?

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
When is the announcement coming? In September from this year?
This document https://isu.org/docman-documents-li...munications/16094-isu-communication-2144/file
reads:
The ISU Council, at its annual session held not later than July 31st,
I'm not entirely sure, but I guess the annual session is the one in Sevilla https://isu.org/news/145-news/12087-isu-congress-2018-seville-esp-preview?templateParam=15
So possibly it'll be sometime during that week, from June 4 to 8.
It'd be nice to know that far in advance. Stockholm isn't exactly cheap! :laugh:

mrsaybia

Rinkside
This document https://isu.org/docman-documents-li...munications/16094-isu-communication-2144/file
reads:

I'm not entirely sure, but I guess the annual session is the one in Sevilla https://isu.org/news/145-news/12087-isu-congress-2018-seville-esp-preview?templateParam=15
So possibly it'll be sometime during that week, from June 4 to 8.
It'd be nice to know that far in advance. Stockholm isn't exactly cheap! :laugh:

True! Would be really nice to know it that far in advance and saving money! ;) Although...... maybe the full package tickets are cheaper than in Milano. ;) ;) And...... then I hope to know earlier in which Stadion the Worlds will be held, so that we can book a hotel/appartment closer to the venue, so that we have to travel much shorter than in March. The last 3 days we took overprized taxi's, as we were so extremely tired by travelling by tram and metro. Especially at night. Stockholm is on my wishlist though to visit some day.......

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Stockholm is on my wishlist though to visit some day.......
Mine, too. I doubt tickets would be cheaper than Milano, though. But if you already start saving money now... ;-)
Anyway, I’m not getting my hopes up for Stockholm just yet. But it sure would be nice, and fair.

Edit to add: 2015 Euros were held in the Ericsson globe @ Stockholm, I’d say it’s a fair bet they’d pick the same venue for Worlds. There is a lot of info in the Archives threads.

mrsaybia

Rinkside
Mine, too. I doubt tickets would be cheaper than Milano, though. But if you already start saving money now... ;-)
Anyway, I’m not getting my hopes up for Stockholm just yet. But it sure would be nice, and fair.

Edit to add: 2015 Euros were held in the Ericsson globe @ Stockholm, I’d say it’s a fair bet they’d pick the same venue for Worlds. There is a lot of info in the Archives threads.

Me neither about Stockholm. Would be nice though, but this year the Worlds Synchronized Skating and as you said, the European in 2015. Well at least I hope it's in Europe then. We'll wait and see......

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The ISU has released Communication No. 2124, outlining some major events for the following season.

The GP Series:

October 19-21, 2018 USA
October 26-28, 2018 Canada
November 2-4, 2018 China
November 9-11, 2018 Japan
November 16-18, 2018 Russia
November 23-25, 2018 France
Junior and Senior Grand Prix Final: December 6-9, 2018 Vancouver, BC, Canada

JGP Series:

August 22-25, 2018 Bratislava, Slovak Republic (including Pair Skating)
August 29-September 1, 2018 Linz, Austria (including Pair Skating)
September 5-8, 2018 Kaunas, Lithuania
September 19-22, 2018 Harbin, China (including Pair Skating)
September 26-29, 2018 Ostrava, Czech Republic (including Pair Skating)
October 3-6, 2018 Ljubljana, Slovenia
October 10-13, 2018 Yerevan, Armenia

4CC got moved. The ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships will be held in Anaheim,
CA, USA on February 4-10, 2019.

Looking even further ahead the ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships will be held in Colorado Springs, USA on April 3-5, 2020.

Edit: The full calendar is released. Communication No. 2161 (PDF)

Update to the above

September 19-22, 2018 Harbin, China (including Pair Skating) has now been relocated to Vancouver, Canada.

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...grand-prix-of-figure-skating?templateParam=11

I'm sure Ted is thrilled. :)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Further update to the above

According to news shared on Twitter from ISU emails sent to the media the Chinese Skating Association is unable to host events in the 2018-2019 season.

JGP Harbin has been moved to Vancouver as shared previously.

2018 GP Cup of China is pending relocation to South Korea. They are expecting a reply about the decision by June 25. If SK can't host it other countries will be asked.

2018 Shanghai Trophy has been cancelled.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
What? So no cup of China. Why CSA can't host figure skating events next season?

Andrea82

Medalist
I've just noticed that Cup of Nice (19-21 October) is labeled as "cancelled" on the calendar on ISU website
https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/f...nts/-?start=15

Halloween Cup (Budapest) has been moved from 27-28 October to 18-21 October

Olympic Hopes (Romania, 6-12 February) is also cancelled

Reykjavik International Games 2019 is moved from 26-28 January to Jan 31-Feb 3
Bavarian Open is moved from 12-17 Feb to 5-10 Feb