2018-2019 Figure Skating Events | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Figure Skating Events

Caustica

Final Flight
You can search for plane tickets that are not expensive to Lyon, perhaps ? And then you have 1h30 in car to Grenoble - if you use carpool, it can be way les sthan 10 euros from Lyon to Grenoble, otherwise the bus is inexpensive too.
Or train from London to Paris, then Paris to Grenoble. Quite easy to go.
The advantage is that hotels will be much cheaper than in Paris, and IIRC, the price for tickets will be reduced too to attract more people. It could be really intersting to go this year.

It's not the price that is the issue, but the fact that it will take a long time to get from London to Grenoble as there are very few direct flights and likely none that are at the right times. I don't drive so I would have to fly to Lyon and then take the train to Grenoble. Not to mention all the time it takes to get to the airport (out of city centre) early and wait around, whereas the Eurostar goes from city centre to city centre and you only have to be at the station 30 minutes before departure time.

If I were still a student I might still go, but since I'm now working it's not really a feasible weekend trip for me. France GP events start IIRC around 1:30pm on Saturday, and London to Grenoble probably wouldn't be possible Saturday morning, not to mention getting back after the exhibition (probably ending at around 5:30pm) on Sunday.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
No offence: but I thought in case when the Oly is taking place in one of the countries outside those of EC, the 4CC in the penultimate year to Oly season will be held at the Olympic FS venue and serves as the venue testing event...(i.e. 4CC was held in Vancouver in 2009; and also in Gangneung in 2017). So it has already been assumed that Beijing will take up 4cc in 2021?

It could be 4CC or it could even be Worlds. It needs to be a test event of some kind afaik. I think they prefer 4CC because it's around the same time as the Olympics, just one year in advance.

---

Tickets for 2018 Skate Canada International and 2018 Grand Prix Final are already on sale.

GF2445

Record Breaker
No offence: but I thought in case when the Oly is taking place in one of the countries outside those of EC, the 4CC in the penultimate year to Oly season will be held at the Olympic FS venue and serves as the venue testing event...(i.e. 4CC was held in Vancouver in 2009; and also in Gangneung in 2017). So it has already been assumed that Beijing will take up 4cc in 2021?

No idea why offense should be taken. No worries. Its your thoughts.
I assumed that Cup of China would be the test event, as it will be in that venue.
I mean, considering the amount of times, the venue in Beijing has been used for Cup of China, i am sure that the venue will be very familiar.

- - - Updated - - -

E,g. For the sochi games, the test event was the grand prix final. So the test event foes not necessarily have to be one where there will be lots of competitors.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2018 GPF in Vancouver and 2019 4CC in Anaheim (LA)! So good that the West Coast finally gets these tournaments! It's been a looooong time since the 2010 Olympics.

Anyone fancy a trip to Disneyland in February 2019??? :biggrin:

Seems to me everything in the world is on the West coast and way too bloody far for me to get to. But I'm including gymnastics in my mind, so.

When do the assignments come out?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmmm wonder why 4CC got moved from Colorado Springs to Anaheim? Well at least the competitors won't be gasping for breath like the last time they were held in Colorado Springs in 2012.

DaveT

On the Ice
Anyone have any information on when 4CC tickets might go on sale? I can find nothing.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
My lazy broke ass needs to go and get a GPF ticket for Vancouver before it all runs out. Less than 200+ tickets left on Ticketmaster!! :eek: I really wish they'd booked Rogers Arena lol, even if I doubt they could sell out 20k seats (plus hockey or w/e). Clearly there is a lot of demand though ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The 2018 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic will be held Sept. 14-16, 2018.

Caveat/disclaimer:

Not saying that it definitely will be a Challenger comp. The ISU has not yet published the list of 2018-19 Challenger comps.

ISU Communication No. 2051 (re Challenger Series in Figure Skating Season 2018/19) has the same preliminary boilerplate as in past seasons:

... there will be a core group of five (5) Challenger Series events, namely:
- Nebelhorn-Trophy in Oberstdorf (GER)
- Finlandia Trophy (FIN)
- Ondrej Nepela Trophy in Bratislava (SVK)
- Golden Spin of Zagreb (CRO)
- One event in Canada or the United States to be agreed upon among the ISU Figure Skating Members in Canada and the United States.​

.... Up to a maximum of five (5) additional International Figure Skating Competitions may be added by the ISU Council ...

https://www.isu.org/communications/16903-isu-communication-2151/file (Apr 3)​

Slightly off topic, but knowing that Australia has expressed interest in hosting 4CC in the future, I hope we get it for 2021. The Four Continents in the penultimate year of an Olympic Cycle is the most important, as it sets the table to the world championships that season, where all those vital multiple quota spots are awarded.

Today the ISU published its Summary of Championships applications 2020/21.

(For Euros, Four Continents, Junior Worlds, Worlds, Synchro Junior Worlds, Synchro Worlds.)

Quoting my post from the Australia fan thread:

Australia has applied to host 2021 Four Continents in Melbourne, per the ISU list published today. (Feb 8 - 14.)

(Sorry, I do not remember whether or not the thread already had official confirmation of this application -- via other sourcing?)

The only other bidder for 2021 Four Continents is Taipei, which also is the sole bidder for 2021 Junior Worlds.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Need to make sure that I book tickets if 2021 Four Continents is awarded to Melbourne. Maybe I can work as an announcer.
:)

If Australia does get it, there are a couple of things that need to be considered.
1) Having live coverage (television rights issues was the reason 2000 worlds was taken away from Brisbane) expected of a host nation. Other than Olympics, there is no live coverage on TV.
2) Venue- according to an ISU interview with the president of Ice Skating Australia, it was hinted that they are thinking of holding the event at Obrien Arena. Even though Obrien has two ice surfaces, perfect for practicing, the main rink at Obrien has a very small audience capacity- like 1,000 seats on the front side only (there is NO seating along the short barriers or the back side).
The ISU probably want a large arena- in Melbourne there is Rold Laver (16,200), Hisense (11,000) , and Margaret Court (7,500).

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Well China did not apply and the only other contender for 2021 4CC is Taipei which has hosted a zillion times already so I hope AUS does get its ISU championship.

As for Euros.. Zagreb again as CRO is the only country that applied.

Tulipstar

Medalist
Oh, not again... This is so disappointing. Grenoble takes so much longer to get to than Paris (I am in London and Paris is 2.5 hours away city centre to city centre... lol), which means I probably won't go :(

Grenoble is much harder to get to for many people than Paris. Really don't see why it has to be there *grumble.
I will probably go to a Challenger or two again, instead.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Need to make sure that I book tickets if 2021 Four Continents is awarded to Melbourne. Maybe I can work as an announcer.
:)

If Australia does get it, there are a couple of things that need to be considered.
1) Having live coverage (television rights issues was the reason 2000 worlds was taken away from Brisbane) expected of a host nation. Other than Olympics, there is no live coverage on TV.
2) Venue- according to an ISU interview with the president of Ice Skating Australia, it was hinted that they are thinking of holding the event at Obrien Arena. Even though Obrien has two ice surfaces, perfect for practicing, the main rink at Obrien has a very small audience capacity- like 1,000 seats on the front side only (there is NO seating along the short barriers or the back side).
The ISU probably want a large arena- in Melbourne there is Rold Laver (16,200), Hisense (11,000) , and Margaret Court (7,500).

I think we're in with a shot! I can't imagine them giving Taipei City two championship events in one season, especially not when there's an opportunity to expand the sport. And Taipei City is the only bidder for JW.

I'm guessing Hisense Arena is the most likely venue. A 10,000 minimum capacity is required for an ISU Championship event, and Hisense Arena hosts Disney on Ice and has also had ice hockey played there in the past. Presumably official practices could also be held at the O'Brien Group Arena, since the tram that stops outside Hisense goes right down to that rink (takes about 20-30 minutes). Hisense is also in with the Rod Laver Arena and across from the MCG so it's right in there with excellent public transport facilities and not too far from the CBD and a lot of accommodation. I think it would work out very well.

In terms of coverage, for a championship event at home, SBS may well choose to come to the party - February is their empty slot for sport anyway, isn't it?

gftn

On the Ice
Melbourne for 4CC please!

Yes SBS normally covers figure skating events but considering this will be at home maybe chanel 7 will take it on?

markovai

Rinkside
It's not the price that is the issue, but the fact that it will take a long time to get from London to Grenoble as there are very few direct flights and likely none that are at the right times. I don't drive so I would have to fly to Lyon and then take the train to Grenoble. Not to mention all the time it takes to get to the airport (out of city centre) early and wait around, whereas the Eurostar goes from city centre to city centre and you only have to be at the station 30 minutes before departure time.

If I were still a student I might still go, but since I'm now working it's not really a feasible weekend trip for me. France GP events start IIRC around 1:30pm on Saturday, and London to Grenoble probably wouldn't be possible Saturday morning, not to mention getting back after the exhibition (probably ending at around 5:30pm) on Sunday.

Another option is to take the TGV from Paris to Grenoble. Quick and easy.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Today the ISU published its Summary of Championships applications 2020/21.
*sigh*. I knew I shouldn't have got my hopes up. I really thought the Netherlands would at least give hosting Worlds 2021 a shot, after missing out on 2020. But no, instead they focus on, what else, hosting Worlds short track and speed skating.

Interesting to see Milan give Worlds another shot. I'm so not interested in returning there, however, even though it was pretty well organized (better than I'd expected, actually).
Fingers crossed for Stockholm! :pray: