2018-2019 Figure Skating Events | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Figure Skating Events

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Drum roll …

Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy will be part of the Challenger Series for 2018-19.

The first competition on the 2018-19 Challenger calendar, in fact.

https://isu.org/news/80-inside-figu...-decision-of-the-isu-council?templateParam=15 (May 15)​

The full Challenger list for 2018-19:

01.08-05.08.2018
Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy
Bangkok, THA

12.09-16.09.2018
Lombardia Trophy
Bergamo, ITA

12.09-16.09.2018
2018 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic
Salt Lake City, USA

19.09-22.09.2018
26th Ondrej Nepela Trophy
Bratislava, SVK

20.09-22.09.2018
Autumn Classic International
Oakville, CAN

26.09-29.09.2018
Nebelhorn Trophy
Oberstdorf, GER

04.10-07.10.2018
Finlandia Trophy Espoo 2018
Espoo, FIN

11.11-18.11.2018
Inge Solar Memorial – Alpen Trophy
Innsbruck, AUT

26.11-02.12.2018
Tallinn Trophy 2018
Tallinn, EST

05.12-08.12.2018
Golden Spin of Zagreb
Zagreb, CRO​

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Yay for Asian Open Trophy for finally becoming a CS event! It's great that Asia-based (and Aussie) skaters have a important event close to the them.

at the same time....
I pray for my Korean bbs. It's basically after the JGP selections and some sort of trial competitions for the seniors.

Nirti

Medalist
With Minsk' Ice Star and Warsaw Cup removed and Alpen Trophy and Asian Open added, the Challengers are better geographically allocated!

Btw, why are some asian events so early in the season?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Well, gutted for Warsaw to be removed, I hope though the competition will still take place (?).

Nepela is then for me, wishing to go for more, but finances won't be there unfortunately...But I concentrate on September:)

Andrea82

Medalist
The Inge Solar Memorial – Alpen Trophy is effectively replacing the Cup of Tyrol which won't take place next season.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
The Inge Solar Memorial – Alpen Trophy is effectively replacing the Cup of Tyrol which won't take place next season.

Aww nooo! That was one of my favourite Sr B comps! It had a free hq livestream with commentary! I hope they keep the livestreaming.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I know we need geographic distribution, but I really wish one of the Autumn Classic or US Classic were removed, because the inflation is ridiculous and now they'll count for SB scores...

cohen-esque

Final Flight
:scratch2: U.S. Classic has usually had pretty low scores, though. (176.35, 183.64, 206.75, 198.42 for the women since the CS debuted.) And they lack bias: Japanese skaters usually win it and they gave Mirai six URs last season.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I know we need geographic distribution, but I really wish one of the Autumn Classic or US Classic were removed, because the inflation is ridiculous and now they'll count for SB scores...

I mean not that Lombardia was much better ahah so many SB there

Andrea82

Medalist
Aww nooo! That was one of my favourite Sr B comps! It had a free hq livestream with commentary! I hope they keep the livestreaming.

They published the whole calendar now. Cup of Tyrol resurfaces at the end of February 2019

https://www.isu.org/inside-single-p...ications-fs/17107-isu-communication-2161/file

Well, gutted for Warsaw to be removed, I hope though the competition will still take place (?).

yes, they will still do the competition. It's scheduled for the same week as French GP

Nirti

Medalist
Many events are disappearing next season...
No Merano Cup? It was held since 1997!
Both Denkova-Staviski Cup and Sofia Trophy removed... Any problems with bulgarian fed?
No Japan Open
and no FBMA Trophy

The NRW Trophy is back in august but only for junior and ice dancing
New attempt for a Mexican Open... a new Christmas Cup in Budapest (before the Santa Claus Cup?!?), new events in Tallinn and Beograd in 2019

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Neither of those was the worst for inflation at all. Lombardia was super high last season and Tallinn is always hilarious. And Golden Spin too.

And also, talking about SB, I went through who has a SB from a challenger in the top 75 in each discipline:

Men
- US Classic: Max Aaron, Liam Firus, Yaroslav Paniot, Tim Dolensky, Sean Rabbitt -- 5
- Autumn Classic: Nam Nguyen, Daisuke Murakami -- 2
- Lombardia: Shoma Uno -- 1
- Nebelhorn: Jorik Hendrickx, Alex Johnson, June Hyoung Lee, Julian Yee -- 4
- Finlandia: Ross Miner -- 1
- Minsk: Ivan Pavlov, Maurizio Zandron, Anton Shulepov -- 3
- Warsaw: Matteo Rizzo, Stephane Walker -- 2
- Tallinn: Peter Liebers -- 1
- Golden Spin: Artur Dmitriev, Denis Ten, Ivan Righini, Andrei Lazukin, Alexander Petrov, Daniel Grassl -- 6

Only three men in the top 24 SB had the score from a CS event (Shoma-3rd, Max-13th, Jorik-22nd). Golden Spin gives the most SB scores on this list.

Ladies
- US Classic: Marin Honda -- 1
- Autumn Classic: Rin Nitaya -- 1
- Lombardia: Wakaba Higuchi, Yura Matsuda -- 2
- Ondrej Nepela: Rika Hongo -- 1
- Nebelhorn: Matilda Algotsson -- 1
- Finlandia: Angela Wang, Brooklee Han -- 2
- Minsk: So Hyun An, Anastasia Gracheva -- 2
- Tallinn: Alisa Fedichkina, Caroline Zhang -- 2
- Golden Spin: Stanislava Konstantinova -- 1

Four ladies in the top 24 (Wakaba/Lombardia, Stasya/Golden Spin, Marin/US Classic, Yura/Lombardia)

Pairs
- US Classic: Liu/Johnson, Kolodziej/Deschamps -- 2
- Autumn Classic: Kim/Kam -- 1
- Ondrej Nepela: Efimova/Korovin, Pfund/Santillan, Purish/Portz, Smith/Reiss -- 4
- Nebelhorn: Alexandrovskaya/Windsor, Conners/Krasnopolski, Ruest/Wolfe, Danilova/Kamianchuk, Jones/Boyadji, Kim/Kim -- 7
- Finlandia: Calalang/Sidhu -- 1
- Minsk: Boikova/Lozlovskii, Ustimkina/Volodin -- 2
- Warsaw: Hase/Seegert, Ghilardi/Ambrosini -- 2
- Tallinn: Mendoza/Kovalev -- 1
- Golden Spin: Chtchetinina/Akulov, Karagodina/Stepanov -- 2

Only two pairs in the top 24 (B/K, A/W).

Dance
- Ondrej Nepela: Parsons/Parsons -- 1
- Nebelhorn: Coomes/Buckland, Mansourova/Ceska, Mysliveckova/Csolley, Garabedian/Prouxl-Senecal, Kavaliova/Bieliaiev, Jakushina/Nevskiy -- 6
- Minsk: Min/Gamelin -- 1
- Warsaw: Popova/Mozgov, McNamara/Carpenter, Fear/Gibson, Muller/Dieck, Plutowska/Flemin -- 5
- Tallinn: Kaliszek/Spodyriev, Agafanova/Ucar, Evdokimova/Bazin, Urban/Steffan, Sosnitskaia/Golovishnokov, Popova/Byelikov -- 6
- Golden Spin: Tweedale/Buckland, Koch/Nuchtern, Robledo/Fenero -- 3

Here we had several in the top 24 with SB from CS events (none from ACI or US Classic): Coomes/Buckand-Nebelhorn, Kaliszek/Spodyriev-Tallinn, Popova/Mozgov-Warsaw, Parsons/Parsons-ONT, Agafanova/Ucar-Tallinn.
I remember that the tech callers at the US Classic were quite strict.

---------

TL,DR: it certainly doesn't look like Autumn Classic or US Classic have more of an impact on the SB lists compared to the other CS events.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
They published the whole calendar now. Cup of Tyrol resurfaces at the end of February 2019

https://www.isu.org/inside-single-p...ications-fs/17107-isu-communication-2161/file ...

Thx. :thank:

Glad that Philadelphia Summer International will return (Jul 30 - Aug 5).

Now if we could just get the entry list published earlier than last year. :pray:

Hoping for a lot of returnee skaters: Alex Johnson, Sean Rabbitt, Camden, Jordan Moeller, Torgashev, Donovan Carrillo, Angela Wang, and many more.

I wonder whether Vincent will be back. If so, healthy this time, I hope.

Bittersweet note: It will be the first [ETA: international] competition for which Max's retirement will leave a major void compared to last year. :sad4: :sad4: :sad4: :sad4: :sad4: :sad4: :sad4: :sad4:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

oh please... all challengers have some sort of inflation... mordovian ornament WAKAKA.... seriously, what I call inflation is a huge difference from when a skater skates about the same program... if we take Yuzu's SP at ACI, he was flawless... he got almost the same score at the Olympics for a similar skate...

what is unfair, as you pointed out, is that skaters in Europe can just drive , take a short train or hop for a very brief flight to get to at least one or two series B... while asian and north american skaters often cannot do so.... which means for Canadians that they mostly get the chance to compete ONCE and only ONCE in the series rather than 2 , 3 or even 4 times like some of the european skaters...

If anything, they should remove some of the European competitions and spread to Asia.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… what is unfair, as you pointed out, is that skaters in Europe can just drive , take a short train or hop for a very brief flight to get to at least one or two series B... while asian and north american skaters often cannot do so.... which means for Canadians that they mostly get the chance to compete ONCE and only ONCE in the series rather than 2 , 3 or even 4 times like some of the european skaters...

Overall point taken.

But if you are referring to the Challenger series, the ISU rule has been that skaters are allowed to compete in no more than three Challenger comps per season.