2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
The Road to PyeongChang 2018

Enjoy our Ladies' Olympic season preview trailer!

This is going to prove to be an exciting season! Share with us your thoughts on the ladies this season!

Last edited by a moderator:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
What a wonderfully edited excitement building trailer! Were the skaters featured in any order, world ranking sort? If so, there were some...questionable...orders.
My ladies thoughts:
Zhenya will continue to dominate. But her task will be made harder by her teammate Alina. They are in the real fight.
Carolina will be ridiculously overscored again. I have a lot to say on that, but here is not the place.
Kaetlyn will ride on her success from last year, while Daleman has a bit more work to do to make that sort of reputation happen.
The Russian third spot will be interesting. My hopes are on Polina, but if she can't get it, I'd love to see Masha or Lena get it. Pogorilaya will probably struggle but have an upward trajectory. Same with Tuktamysheva. I just can't see them getting the 3rd spot though.
The US ladies.... sheesh. Mirai will be the next big thing if she can get her triples rotated. This is Karen's problem too. If Mariah and Courtney can turn in two clean performances back to back at competitions, they are also contenders. Bradie Tennell is amazing and definitely a contender for one of the spots. Ashley... is probably going to get a lot of reputation passes like Osmond and will probably end up on the team even if she doesn't really earn it at nationals.
The Japanese ladies have the opposite problem: they have too many good contenders for too few spots. There's Wakaba, Mai, Satoko, Marin, Rika, and several others. Nationals will be a key event this season for that reason.
Other skaters I'm excited for this season: Kailani Craine, Loena Hendrickx, Laurine Lecavlier.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I know I’m only watching on internet but why did Kailani Crane of Australia not get higher scores in the Sp in Canada today.

And Osmond is amazing and has such flow speed and charisma. I think she is a more worth Oly Gold posssible or WC than Evgenia. I like her programs so much better. She looks blazing fast on internet anyway. She isn’t as consistent but wow she was incredible in her Sp today. She would have been at the top had she not broken her ankle. Incredible work to come back last year and do skate like this. If the gold is already belonging to a Evgenia I hope Katelyn has great luck. She is so much better than Anna. Really Masha is special. I think she will get a spot on the team. I hope so. Lovely tall skater.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I actually have to agree about Crane getting such low scores. The technical side I can agree with being low, sort of ( the spins were great but I know the jumps were under) but there’s no reason her pcs was so low! This needs to be looked into a la 2017 Europeans short dance.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Copying this into here for convenience

2018 Winter Olympics Spots: Ladies
(1) Russia
(2) Russia
(3) Russia
(4) Canada
(5) Canada
(6) Canada
(7) USA
(8) USA
(9) USA
(10) Japan
(11) Japan
(12) Italy
(13) Italy
(14) Kazakhstan
(15) Kazakhstan
(16) South Korea
(17) South Korea
(18) China
(19) Belgium
(20) Slovakia
(21) France
(22) Germany
(23) Hungary
(24) Latvia
(28) Brazil
(29) Finland
(30) Ukraine
(R4) Philippines
(R5) Estonia
(R6) Austria
(R7) Slovenia
(R8) Hong Kong
(R9) Norway
(R10) Czech Republic
(R11) Great Britain
(R12) Lithuania
(R13) Azerbaijan
(R14) Turkey
(R15) Denmark
(R16) Serbia
(R17) Poland
(R18) Liechtenstein
(R19) Netherlands
(R20) Bulgaria
(R21) Thailand
(R22) Mexico
(R23) South Africa
(R24) Greece
(R25) Malaysia
(R26) United Arab Emirates

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know I’m only watching on internet but why did Kailani Crane of Australia not get higher scores in the Sp in Canada today.

Jumps were under. She also spent the majority of the time in one end of the rink. There could be other things. I was there and kept waiting for her to come to my end of the rink. I think she has a lot of potential tho and a very natural charm.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Ahhhhh I'm so excited now! So many amazing ladies in the field! I'm so curious to see what will happen!

yuna

On the Ice
Very exciting! Still so sad about Japan only having 2 spots..they have too many good skaters for only 2 spots :(

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
I agree... they really need 3 spots. Does the US or Canada? Not really (I am not trying to open this discussion again, there are threads for that) Russia and Japan are really the ones that NEED three spots in ladies.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Who do you guys think are the 'locks' for the Olympic teams?

Personally I'd say: Medvedeva and Zagitova for Russia, Wagner for USA, Osmond and Daleman for Canada, Kostner for Italy

yuna

On the Ice
Who do you guys think are the 'locks' for the Olympic teams?

Personally I'd say: Medvedeva and Zagitova for Russia, Wagner for USA, Osmond and Daleman for Canada, Kostner for Italy

Russia, like you said Medvedeva and Zagitova. I wouldnt say Wagner is a complete lock but shes very close to being one. For Japan, it really depends on how Mai and Satoko do in their GP events and how Wakaba does in her next one. I dont think Marin is completely out of the Olympics like some people say. I do think she has to do really well in her next competitions though. Li Zijun is a lock for China obviously.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
I don't think Japan has any locks. Russia's locks are Medvedeva and Zagitova, with four or five that could challenge for the third spot. The US doesn't really have any locks so far, but I am sure that Ashley will be heavily hyped. Canada's locks are Osmond and Daleman. Zijun sadly is not a lock in my opinion as China only has one ladies spot and two very good ladies.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
This is going to prove to be an exciting season!

Never have I felt less excitement for an Olympic Ladies event than this season. Idk, it's probably because there was a change of the guard since the last Olympic Games, but I just can't muster much emotion. I rooted for so many Ladies in Sochi and now I don't care at all. The good thing about it is that I can watch it without getting angry or tense.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Never have I felt less excitement for an Olympic Ladies event than this season. Idk, it's probably because there was a change of the guard since the last Olympic Games, but I just can't muster much emotion. I rooted for so many Ladies in Sochi and now I don't care at all. The good thing about it is that I can watch it without getting angry or tense.

I think we focused so much on Yuna's comeback, and Mao and Caro, with Yulia coming up, and then Adelina emerging at the last minute to win it all that made it truly exciting. Right now it's Zhenya and then everyone else fighting for silver.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Russia, like you said Medvedeva and Zagitova. I wouldnt say Wagner is a complete lock but shes very close to being one. For Japan, it really depends on how Mai and Satoko do in their GP events and how Wakaba does in her next one. I dont think Marin is completely out of the Olympics like some people say. I do think she has to do really well in her next competitions though. Li Zijun is a lock for China obviously.
I don't think Li Zijun is a lock. Li Xiangning placed higher at Worlds last year.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Tursynbaeva is a lock for Kazakhstan for sure

Maybe she will be the only one representing Kazakhstan, and some other country (i see Armenia) will take Kaz second spot... Or min tech score skaters must achivied for Oly is not so high as the min tech for Worlds :scratch3:

LRK

Record Breaker
Maybe she will be the only one representing Kazakhstan, and some other country (i see Armenia) will take Kaz second spot... Or min tech score skaters must achivied for Oly is not so high as the min tech for Worlds :scratch3:

I think the min tech scores for the Olympics are the same as for Euros/4CC?

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
I think Aiza Mambekova either has the tech mins or is getting close to getting them.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I think the min tech scores for the Olympics are the same as for Euros/4CC?

Yes. This.

Aiza Mambekova also has the minimum TES scores: 26.95 SP from 2017 Asian Winter Games (needed 20.00) and 42.89 FS from 2017 Winter Universiade (needed 36.00).

This document lists ladies' skaters' highest SP/FS TES and where they achieved it, including this season and the 2016-2017 season.

However, the last news I'd seen was that she may be injured. It may depend on how quickly she could recover.