2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating

chairmanmao

Final Flight
People complain about the backloading, I think it's awesome.. it builds incredible tension... Especially Alina's SP... and the music... it starts to grow... she is changing the elements in her dress and turning into a Black Swan and then Bang (the hardest combo in the field)... Bang (huge 3 flip with gorgeous arms over the head)... Bang 2 Axel with immensely difficult entry... and the final two spins...and final change to her dress... Her choreographer is a genius (Thanks to his mum former ballerina).
That's how you set a world record 15 minutes after a WR..

I love her SP especially the music change right before she does her jumps. I love the tension before the 3Lz-3Lo.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Youtube Alina at JGP Slovenia, that'll answer your question. Complete disaster. Backloading isn't easy like people make it seem because you don't skate the first half. It is a huge risk that is awarded but you have to have tremendous skill to pull it off, otherwise it'll end badly

OMG. Yikes. Thank you for that, I didn't follow her really until she showed up at Russian nationals where she was right behind Med. This is the one nagging thing in the back of my mind that says "don't bet the farm on her winning gold quite yet". Personally I prefer Zhenya but if Alina skates a blinder, I can understand mathematically why she would take gold.

Well I suppose not many remember when 15-year-old Sonja Henie won in 1928. :)

There have only been two 15-yr-old ladies champions in history:
15 yrs, 257 days = Tara Lipinski in 1998
15 yrs, 316 days = Sonja Henie in 1928

Too bad Sonja Henie didn't win the gold medal at her first Olympics. She was 11. (She was Norwegian national champion at 10.) :)

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Going to bed soon, so putting this up as a placeholder, and will add the links tomorrow.

Here is the link for the World Feed coverage on the British Eurosport Player (starts in 4 hours from now):
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/event/womens-free-skate/6626db2c-42e3-4ad8-9dca-8696adb1ff23

Eurosport are due to join it 1h 30m into the competition at 02:30 GMT. So, just in time for #11 Nicole Rajičová in the middle of Group 2. But, that all depends on whether the weather affects the Freestyle Skiing.

Here is the link for the British Eurosport 1 coverage on the Player (starts at 7m 47s with highlights of #10 Nicole Schott. End of Women's Ski Cross at start):
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/event/live-winter-olympics/716fa29c-dad4-427a-a1a6-c88b50a0b3d9

Here is the Time Schedule:
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/owg2018/OWG2018_LadiesSingleSkating_FS_TimeSchedule.pdf

And here is the Live Scoring:
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/owg2018/SEG004.HTM

Hope this helps.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

LadyB

Record Breaker
This has the potential of one of the best Olympic moments! Still think Zhenya should win to underpin a wonderful career. On the other hand, Alina is on fire at the mo and as things go, she won’t be around in four years time. May the best girl win! And good luck to Osmond for bronze!

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
After learning about their history... I wonder if sticking it to Eteri is actually one of Alina's motivations...

Blondie12

On the Ice
Mikahara wants that bronze. I think she gets it - she's going to put pressure on that final group. Someone will probably fall. It will be close. She did phenonmental performances here - she deserves it - that's the most emotion I ever saw from her.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Don't be so sure people...its not over till its over. :roll9:

colormyworld240

Medalist
Highlights:

Alina adding -Lo to second lutz after missing first one, landing right on the music still
Kaetlyn Osmond skating the best in her career by a long shot, after splatting all season and no one believed in her (I definitely didn't)
Evgenia and her emotional performance, handling placing second so well; best sportsmanship
Carolina landing a 3Lz...
Satoko not getting URs on her jumps

This was a very --dramatic-- ladies FS. Basically everything we didn't expect to happen happened, all of the above

whatif

Medalist
Highlights:
Basically everything we didn't expect to happen happened, all of the above

How come, this was the exact podium most people here were predicting/discussing the entire season. The only suspense was whether Med can beat Zagi and we all knew it was a tough task.

colormyworld240

Medalist
How come, this was the exact podium most people here were predicting/discussing the entire season. The only suspense was whether Med can beat Zagi and we all knew it was a tough task.

Yes but the things that haven't happened all season happened hear. Alina winning by the SHORT program of all things, even though it was trouble for her all season and it was always the free where she made it up (except Euros). Alina then messing up her free (kind of - missing 3Lo in first combo because she never did), Kaetlyn skating a clean free (biggest surprise - have she ever done that not in this quad but in her entire career?), Carolina landing a 3Lz..,, The podium was predicted correctly, but the events that led up to it were a part of some kind Freaky Friday alternate universe...

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I noticed in this Olympics there were just a few UR and edge calls. Were the judges or the technical controller short sighted, or just too kind with the skaters. There were competitions where most skater got different calls from URs to unclear edge (GP). It looked like that for the Olympics skaters just got much better all of a sudden.