Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Thread: 2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating

0 Not allowed!
    Give me a well choreographed and a balanced program with exertion and pauses, speed and athleticism any day, over one that includes 2 minutes of blandness.

Sorry, but just not my taste.

All Hail Empress Eteri Spirals for Miles's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    Them: there's more to figure skating than just jumps!
    Also them: there's nothing to her first two minutes!

To clarify: this is NOT in response to O4G but to anyone who presents this dichotomy

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirals for Miles View Post
    Them: there's more to figure skating than just jumps!Also them: there's nothing to her first two minutes!

To clarify: this is NOT in response to O4G but to anyone who presents this dichotomy
    While Kaetlyn's jumps are huge and exquisite, Spirals, there is so much more to her skating than just jumps. A complete skater she is, which is rare in women's figure skating these days.

On the Ice

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmond4gold View Post
    So you are of the belief that a skater who skates with that much speed, strength, power, height and trajectory, must skate clean in order to succeed? Sure, let's be extra cautious and hardly get off the ground, as some do in playing the ''safe game''. As Kaetlyn has said these past 2 seasons, I am skating not for perfection, but towards excellence! Yes, excellence has its inherited risks when one skates that fast and that big, but to me her style versus others is worth the risk, and has more than paid off in achieving her goals and World/Olympic results.

No reward without taking risks, I say.
    I didn't say they have to skate clean to succeed, actually. If you look at the original comment, I wrote I didn't think Kaetlyn could skate clean. I never said she wasn't successful. Both her and Alina have won many medals this season with skates that weren't clean, over clean skaters (albeit the judging could have gone either way for SC and CoC, but that is only my opinion). They've been on podiums all season. Yes I agree with no reward without risks, and I agree with their medals even with their mistakes. As another poster said, it's not the podium that is surprising; it's the individual skates that were. They could be successful without clean skates, but it's a highlight that they were.

As for more speed with less transitions vs. slower with more transitions, that's a preference. For ballet, I prefer more transitions. For other programs, I prefer less. But that doesn't mean one is better than the other. You do seem to criticize Alina a lot though. I don't understand why you throw in balance so much, when what you actually mean is symmetrical. Her FS isn't unbalanced at all; it is composed as the ballet is. It would be less balanced to the music, had she done a 3/4 jump layout to the pas de deux, and from a dancer's perspective, it would have been a disgrace to the piece of music. How is it bland? Maybe you don't like pas de deux's, but this is how they are structured and it's an art. Obviously, they chose this piece so she could backload but there's nothing wrong with that; it fits the theme and music. And she is quite a complete skater as well. Beautiful spins, flexible positions, and good interpretation, even though people disagree by saying she should be pulling agonizing dramatic faces like Evgenia, but she is in fact Kitri.

And if you're talking about jumps themselves, Kaetlyn has higher jumps with a lot of flow. Alina has better air positions and arm variations. There are GOE bullets for both. You may prefer one to the other, as I'm sure everyone does. But they're each a bullet point in GOE scoring. And same for CH/PE/INT. You may prefer a style to another, but that doesn't mean one is universally better. I don't understand the constant comparison though, Alina is OC and Kaetlyn is WC. Do you disagree with either? Because I do not.

On the Ice

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BillNeal View Post
    Kaetlyn and Ravi have focused on development and longevity rather than getting quick results. Over two quads, she has upgraded her SP combo from 3T3T to 3F3T and her 3F2T FS combo to 3F3T in addition to adding a 3Lo. These are in addition to her overall improvements in speed, skating skills and presentation. Her team has emphasized producing a balanced LP with well-excuted skills that blends into the theme of the program rather than conserving energy for two minutes and then doing a jumpathon.
    Can't agree with the second part. Alina definitely doesn't conserve energy in the first half, her step sequence is very difficult and energy consuming, and that FC spin is the highlight of the entire program. She doesn't do it with much speed, but that's more of that being the fastest she can do it than it is about conserving energy. As for development, I think Alina's team did that for her as well. If you watch her 2 seasons ago, she couldn't complete all her jumping passes at all, and the season before she could only jump 2A-2Lo. And she had absolutely no presentation skills to speak of, probably because she could not even jump. Her speed across the ice, though, was much better And some seasons ago both were injured, breaking arms an legs and whatnot and when they came back, one was kicked out by her trainer and the other falling on every single jumping pass. They've both developed a LOT in the past two quads, and peaked at the right time for olympics.

~

1 Not allowed!
    Guys, guys!

Neither Kaetlyn nor Alina cares anymore.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31