Qualifiers for the GPF / Event Info | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Qualifiers for the GPF / Event Info

skatenewbie

Medalist
we have 4 spots left for GPF, with Satoko out its getting interesting. Also for battle Russian 3rd spot and Japan spot.

Alina vs Kaetlyn vs Mai vs Sotskova vs Tuktamysheva in IdF will make sure who and who getting in and out in JGPF. Alina clean will be #1, Mai clean could be #2/3 depends on Kaetlyn performance, if she's #2 she could make GPF unless Sotskova is 3rd. Sotskova is consistent but not getting PCS and her TES sometimes lag with lack GOE and UR calls. almost forgot Liza, if she went clean and land 3A also put 2nd Lutz in FS she can challenge for bronze.
Polina vs Ashley vs Satoko vs Kaori vs Anna P in SA. i don't think Anna could be on podium, Polina with skate like in NHK will win SA, Satoko form is not 100% but she can improve here and there and could be on podium given her score 191 is not bad at all. Ashley will def. be pushed with USFS but it also depends on her performance if she bombs badly or can't be saved by USFS then she's out. Kaori potential is big but she haven't showed all of it, 194 in CoR could improve to near 200 and getting that podium.

Samarin is not out of the picture yet.
ah yeah i forget about his bronze, last spot would be Samarin vs Max vs medalist in NHK. if Voronov win gold then its maybe him get that last spot. i think chances for Adam is small, he have not so easy 2nd GP in SA with Nathan, Boyang, Kovtun, and Voronov again though USFS could push him.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Current standings of the ladies after 4 events

Evgenia Medvedeva - 30; 455.60 (CoR+NHK)
Carolina Kostner - 26; 428.22 (CoR+NHK)
Wakaba Higuchi - 24; 419.69 (CoR+CoC)
Elena Radionova - 20; 402.34 (CoR+CoC)
Alina Zagitova - 15; 213.88 (CoC) - TdF to skate
Kaetlyn Osmond - 15; 212.91 (SC) - TdF to skate
--
Marin Honda - 14; 376.56 (SC+CoC)
Maria Sotskova - 13; 192.52 (SC) - TdF to skate
Polina Tsurskaya - 11; 210.19 (NHK) - SA to skate
Ashley Wagner - 11; 183.94 (SC) - SA to skate
Mai Mihara - 9; 206.07 (CoC) - TdF to skate
Mirai Nagasu - 9; 372.71 (CoR+NHK)
Rika Hongo - 9; 364.17 (SC+NHK)
Courtney Hicks - 9; 182.57 (SC) - NO OTHER ASSIGNMENT
Kaori Sakamoto - 7; 194.00 (CoR) - SA to skate
Satoko Miyahara - 7; 191.80 (NHK) - SA to skate
Gabrielle Daleman - 5; 196.83 (CoC) - SA to skate
Alena Leonova - 5; 190.95 (NHK) - SA to skate
Mariah Bell - 5; 188.56 (CoR+NHK)

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
So, just to put this in perspective, the last time Patrick, Javier, or Yuzuru wasn't at the senior Grand Prix Final was... 2009.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Men
Mikhail Kolyada - 26 - 550.44 (1st - COC/ 3rd RC)
Jason Brown- 22 - 507.09 (2nd SC /4th NHK)
Shoma Uno - 15 - 301.10 - (1st SC/ TdF)
Nathan Chen - 15- 293.79 - (1st RC/SA)
Sergei Voronov - 15 - 271.12 - (1st NHK/SA)
Boyang Jin - 13 - 264.48 (2nd COC/SA)
---
Adam Rippon - 13 - 261.99 - SA (2nd NHK/SA)
Max Aaron - 11 - 259.69 - TdF (3rd COC/SA)
Alexei Bychenko - 11 - 252.07 - (3rd NHK/TdF)
Alexander Samarin - 11 - 250.06 (3rd SC/TdF)
Vincent Zhou - 9 - 256.66 (4th COC/TdF)
Misha Ge - 9 - 245.70 (4th RC/TdF)

Javier Fernandez can play spoiler at TdF. Jason Brown looks out of the final, but mathematically he still has a shot depending on how others place given some field stacking. The men are so unpredictable that strange things could happen.

Last edited:

GGFan

Record Breaker
Men
Mikhail Kolyada - 30 - 550.44 (1st - COC/ 3rd RC)
Jason Brown- 22 - 507.09 (2nd SC /4th NHK)
Shoma Uno - 15 - 301.10 - (1st SC/ TdF)
Nathan Chen - 15- 293.79 - (1st RC/SA)
Sergei Voronov - 15 - 271.12 - (1st NHK/SA)
Boyang Jin - 13 - 264.48 (2nd COC/SA)
---
Adam Rippon - 13 - 261.99 - SA (2nd NHK/SA)
Max Aaron - 11 - 259.69 - TdF (3rd COC/SA)
Alexei Bychenko - 11 - 252.07 - (3rd NHK/TdF)
Alexander Samarin - 11 - 250.06 (3rd SC/TdF)
Vincent Zhou - 9 - 256.66 (4th COC/TdF)
Misha Ge - 9 - 245.70 (4th RC/TdF)

Javier Fernandez can play spoiler at TdF.

Brown looks out of the final, but mathematically he still has a shot depending on how others place, but I'm thinking the final three spots will likely go to Voronov, Rippon and Jin (assuming Nathan and Shoma are locks for their spots)

Shouldn't Kolyada have 26?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Current standings of the ladies after 4 events

Evgenia Medvedeva - 30; 455.60 (CoR+NHK)
Carolina Kostner - 26; 428.22 (CoR+NHK)
Wakaba Higuchi - 24; 419.69 (CoR+CoC)
Elena Radionova - 20; 402.34 (CoR+CoC)
Alina Zagitova - 15; 213.88 (CoC) - TdF to skate
Kaetlyn Osmond - 15; 212.91 (SC) - TdF to skate
--
Marin Honda - 14; 376.56 (SC+CoC)
Polina Tsurskaya - 13; 210.19 (NHK) - SA to skate
Maria Sotskova - 13; 192.52 (SC) - TdF to skate
Ashley Wagner - 11; 183.94 (SC) - SA to skate
Mai Mihara - 9; 206.07 (CoC) - TdF to skate
Mirai Nagasu - 9; 372.71 (CoR+NHK)
Rika Hongo - 9; 364.17 (SC+NHK)
Courtney Hicks - 9; 182.57 (SC) - NO OTHER ASSIGNMENT
Kaori Sakamoto - 7; 194.00 (CoR) - SA to skate
Satoko Miyahara - 7; 191.80 (NHK) - SA to skate
Gabrielle Daleman - 5; 196.83 (CoC) - SA to skate
Alena Leonova - 5; 190.95 (NHK) - SA to skate
Mariah Bell - 5; 188.56 (CoR+NHK)

Polina Tsurskaya was 3rd, so she's got 11 points not 13.

kenboy123

On the Ice
The final line up for the Ladies seem pretty clear to me unless something super crazy happens...

Carolina Kostner (CONFIRMED)
Evegnia Medvedeva (I MEAN DUH)
Kaetlyn Osmond
Maria Sotskova
Polina Tsurskaya
Alina Zagitova

I don't know the math behind it, but these seem the most likely???...this would be a great line up in my opinion...

madison

Record Breaker
The final line up for the Ladies seem pretty clear to me unless something super crazy happens...

Kaetlyn Osmond
Maria Sotskova
Polina Tsurskaya
Alina Zagitova

I don't know the math behind it, but these seem the most likely???...this would be a great line up in my opinion...

I think, if nothing crazy happens, as you said, it will be Wakaba instead of Sostkova...

Miller

Final Flight

Kaetlyn Osmond
Maria Sotskova
Polina Tsurskaya
Alina Zagitova

Maria will need to finish 2nd at IDF, ahead of 2 of Kaetlyn, Alina and Mai Mihara for her to be ahead of Wakaba Higuchi. Mai also has a slim chance if 1st at IDF, but she would need Kaetlyn to suffer a meltdown free skate, and in that case I suspect Alina would win now that she's got her feet 'under the table'. Ashley Wagner also has a chance if Polina somehow struggles at SA, Ashley had 1 or 2 URs at SC, but compared to the rest of the field she didn't suffer any worse. If it's a low scoring competition she might just win.

kenboy123

On the Ice
Maria will need to finish 2nd at IDF, ahead of 2 of Kaetlyn, Alina and Mai Mihara for her to be ahead of Wakaba Higuchi. Mai also has a slim chance if 1st at IDF, but she would need Kaetlyn to suffer a meltdown free skate, and in that case I suspect Alina would win now that she's got her feet 'under the table'. Ashley Wagner also has a chance if Polina somehow struggles at SA, Ashley had 1 or 2 URs at SC, but compared to the rest of the field she didn't suffer any worse. If it's a low scoring competition she might just win.

Then i think i'll switch Maria with Higuchi...however, i do think Tsurskaya will probably win Skate America and that will be enough for her to qualify...Mai, i think is realistically out...even with a meltdown from Osmond (or someone else), it won't nearly bad enough...Osmond does not tend to do well in her Free Skate, even then...her total score will still be around 210, probably higher, it won't be enough to be completely castastrophic.... i don't know what i'm saying anymore...

randomfan

Record Breaker
I’m going to write down my predictions for the last two events (1st-4th), and based on those, put down who I think will be the final qualifers and alternates.

IDF:
I think Zagitova will win gold, with Osmond close behind. I just can’t see anyone beating them as long as they don’t have major meltdowns. 3rd and 4th will likely be between Sotskova and Mihara.

SA:
Tsurskaya is looking strong and consistent, so I think she’ll win here. 2nd-4th will likely be between Wagner, Chen, Sakamoto, Daleman, and Miyahara.

Let’s assume that this is exactly what happens. Medvedeva, Zagitova, Osmond, and Kostner are all in for sure.

First off - IDF. Sotskova in 3rd would put her in a scoring tiebreaker with Higuchi. Sotskova needs a huge 220+ score to win this tiebreaker, which is highly unlikely, so she’ll probably go behind Higuchi. If Mihara places anywhere lower than 3rd then she’s out for sure. If she places 2nd or 3rd, she’ll likely be an alternate.

Assuming all of the above has happened in France, let’s move on to USA. A win for Tsurskaya will put her into the final for sure. A silver for Ashley will put her into a scoring tiebreaker with both Higuchi and Sotskova, but since Ashley needs an enormous 230+ score to win it, it’s safe to say that the chances of it happening are extremely slim. Chen, Daleman, Sakamoto, and Miyahara can no longer qualify no matter how high they place. If either Sakamoto or Miyahara place 2nd, then they may be in the list of alternates.

So if this all happened, then the qualifers would be:

1. Medvedeva (15+15=30)
2. Zagitova (15+15=30)
3. Osmond (15+13=28)
4. Tsurskaya (11+15=26)
5. Kostner (13+13=26)
6. Higuchi (11+13=24)

Sotskova would be an alternate for sure. The remaining 2 alternates would be any of the other skaters I mentioned above who have not qualified.

This is a complicated process, but kinda fun to think about. :laugh:

skatenewbie

Medalist
what would make it even more interesting is if some skaters that are not favourite/have 0 chance to GPFskate so good and make it podium. Like Daleman, what happened if she skate like in Worlds and win SA? SA is quite unpredictable, also Miyahara could sneak in podium, she's not perfect yet but who knows 2 weeks from now, or Karen Chen put out 2 clean program like in 2017 US Nats and get in podium lol. or Even Kaori could be on podium, she messed up her FS in CoR and get 194 total score. She could break 200 if clean.

kenboy123

On the Ice
what would make it even more interesting is if some skaters that are not favourite/have 0 chance to GPFskate so good and make it podium. Like Daleman, what happened if she skate like in Worlds and win SA? SA is quite unpredictable, also Miyahara could sneak in podium, she's not perfect yet but who knows 2 weeks from now, or Karen Chen put out 2 clean program like in 2017 US Nats and get in podium lol. or Even Kaori could be on podium, she messed up her FS in CoR and get 194 total score. She could break 200 if clean.

How would that be interesting if the result is just of "no use"...if someone comes out of nowhere and wins Skate America which is actually potentially a lower scoring event for the ladies...NO Medvedeva, Osmond, Zagitova, Kostner...etc etc... how would a "non result" be interesting when the person who wins does not even have a chance at the Grand Prix Final???...it might make a good headline for 10 minutes, maybe a day, but it does nothing for the Race to the Grand Prix Final...

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States

Kaetlyn Osmond
Maria Sotskova
Polina Tsurskaya
Alina Zagitova

This does seem really likely except Wagner at skate America? The judges might give her a little "boost" over Tsurskaya, although Tsurskaya in my opinion could still beat her so idk if we could confirm her in the final but everyone else is a sure bet at this point.

slider11

Medalist

Kaetlyn Osmond
Maria Sotskova
Polina Tsurskaya
Alina Zagitova

I think Higuchi could be a spoiler but I agree that the 6 you mention are worthy. The possibility of 4 Russians in the finals! Wow!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I think Higuchi could be a spoiler but I agree that the 6 you mention are worthy. The possibility of 4 Russians in the finals! Wow!

It happened last year! Zhenya, Elena, Maria, and Anna were all in the final, along with Kaetlyn and Satoko.
This year at the JGPF, 5 of the 6 girls are Russian. Daria, Anastasia Tarakanova, Alena, and Sasha are all Eteri's girls while Sofia is Mishin's student. The only other girl there is Rika Kihira.