Alena Kanysheva | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Alena Kanysheva

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
In fact I was asking, only because of the ongoing polemics about the 40% Khrystalny would take of the athletes earnings.

It's all right :)

Costs were most likely shared between Sambo-70 and the Kanyshev family. Perhaps an adult family member was with Alyona and one could doubt Sambo-70 will cover their cost of living.

When released from the clinic, she is back in Moscow now, perhaps already chatting excitedly with her rink mates over what happened over the weekend?

Batsuchan

Medalist
I'm so happy to hear that Alyona is pain-free now! :hap57: I hope it stays that way! Can't wait to see our snow princess back on the ice! :yes:
Is there any chance she can qualify to Junior Nationals and possibly make the Jr World team?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I'm so happy to hear that Alyona is pain-free now! :hap57: I hope it stays that way! Can't wait to see our snow princess back on the ice! :yes:
Is there any chance she can qualify to Junior Nationals and possibly make the Jr World team?

I hope rusfed will show us all that they still have some of their last braincells functioning and give Aliona a free pass to JrNats. :dev2:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I hope rusfed will show us all that they still have some of their last braincells functioning and give Aliona a free pass to JrNats. :dev2:

Depending on Alyona's regained level and trainers' advice I think they will. Perhaps not with a high starting number?

Batsuchan

Medalist
So Alena's New Year post included a photo of her and Georgy Kunitsa, who's part of Team Tutberidze! :luv17:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6wIWyVJJ2u/

It's none of my business, BUT...does this mean that they're dating??! :unsure: :biggrin: :laugh:

Also, happy new year to Alena! I hope 2020 brings her health and success! :pray: :agree:

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Alena announced today that she is switching to ice dance due to injuries. I, including many others, are very confused about this as we knew that she was injured but thought that she was well enough to compete again? She posted on insta that "due to an injury in November 2018" which is like,

1. She competed at JGPF a months later and kept competing for months after that, and even did 4T
2. One of the Panova rink moms says that from the fall of 2018 up to her departure, Alena trained at full force with no news of injury

I think one of the answers could be that she mistyped 2019 as 2018. But this has Eteri's fingerprints all over it. Timeline:

Fall 2018: Alena wins two silvers and qualifies for JGPF
November 2018: Alena allegedly is seriously injured (it could be like a back injury that was aggravated?)
December 2018: Alena wins bronze at JGPF
Jan 2019: Alena competes at Jr nats not so successfully, and ends her season
Spring 2019: Alena joins Team Tutberidze and shows a 4T
August 2019: Alena shows amazing programs at test skates
Fall 2019: Alena is assigned to JGP Riga and is expected to be one of the main contenders but her assignments keep getting pushed back, until it is announced that she will skip the series due to injury
November 2019: Alena is entered in a Russian cup/jr nationals qualifying event, so she must have been well enough to compete
November 2019: Alena withdraws from competition
December 2019: Alena announces that she is healthy and training without pain! yay!
January 2019: Alena announced retirement from singles due to pain that doesn't allow her to jump and switches to ice dance

Regardless, Alena was always a pleasant dancer and skater, I think whoever her partner and coach is, she will be a great ice dancer! will miss her in singles tho <3

Batsuchan

Medalist
I think one of the answers could be that she mistyped 2019 as 2018. But this has Eteri's fingerprints all over it. Timeline:

I know people want to blame Eteri for this, but I think it's entirely possible that she had the injury from November 2018.

For comparison, the other Alena (Aliona Kostornaia) started having pain in her leg around JGPF in December 2018, but she skated through the pain at Russian Nationals...at Russian Junior Nationals in February 2019 she definitely had her ankle wrapped and seemed to be in great pain (judging by her reaction and Eteri's after her FS), and then it was only right before Junior Worlds in March 2019 that they realized she had a stress fracture.

So I think it's possible that Kanysheva had some injury in November 2018, and kind of recovered, but not fully, and then continued to aggravate it until she couldn't go on anymore.

Regardless of what really happened... I'm so sad that she won't be able to do singles anymore--I was soo looking forward to seeing her back on the ice! :sad21:

I hope she finds a partner soon and achieves great success in ice dance! :yes2:

Also - I love Alenka on the ice, but I also love that she's so supportive of the other skaters. :yes: I love that she sends birthday messages in her IG stories to all the skaters. :agree: And of course, I can't help but love the fact that she cheers for the other Aliona! :biggrin:

Deripashka

On the Ice
Ah this is so sad. I was so expected to see her skate a program from Eteri/Danil :no:
Anyway, I wish her all best in ice dance and definitely will watching her performance there.
btw. Hows it is with her old teammate Anna Kuzmenko from Snow leopards? They were like twins during their Bars times, but Anna too had some serious injury. Is she still skating, or?

Scott512

Record Breaker
Alena must have thought she would become great with Eteri. but she never should have left her previous coaching situation when she was doing so well I'm showing such promise. Alena was a wonderful skater before she went to Eteri and then absolutely nothing with Eteri it is truly hard to believe. I think if you are tall and talented like Kanysheva you stay away from Eteri because the graceful long leg girls struggle with those brutal jumps in practice everyday. But if you are short and talented like 4A it's easier to pull off. It's entirely possible her long thin legs were not ready for quad jumps which led to this devastating injury a career-changing injury. I am in no way blaming Eteri because this is sports and figure skating as beautiful at is it is is brutal on the body. But eteri it's not for everybody. Looking back Alena did not need to change coaches she just needed to keep getting better with her previous coach and she was doing just that.

Is it any coincidence that Supergirl Sasha is struggling more with her quad jumps as she's grown a couple inches in the last year? I think not. it's a matter of physics and the taller you are the harder it is to pull off triple axles and quadruple jumps.

Good luck to Alena. I'm so sorry she is so badly injured and missed the entire season and now has to change disciplines. What is the injury a torn quad dislocated hip with torn ACL or MCL or a broken leg? Remember Anna Shcherbakova had a broken leg a couple years ago recovered from that just fine and Alina Zagitova had a broken leg when she was like 13 or 14 and recovered from that to become an all-time great.

this is so frustrating because at the Junior Grand Prix final in December of 2018 I thought Kanysheva was more impressive and more talented than Scherbakova. But things changed in the last year because Alena was mostly on the sidelines while Anna became great.

Could she and her parents just be saying she's changing discipline so they can get away from Eteri and start over with another coach in singles next season? what's behind the saying so many of these young ladies retire as teenagers or move to another discipline is heart wrenching. But there's an old saying this is sports and this is life.

DenissVFan

Medalist
I think if you are tall and talented like Kanysheva you stay away from Eteri because the graceful long leg girls struggle with those brutal jumps in practice everyday. But if you are short and talented like 4A it's easier to pull off. It's entirely possible her long thin legs were not ready for quad jumps which led to this devastating injury a career-changing injury

She is not extremely tall even for a skater. Her ISU bio says she's 156 cm compared to Alexandra Trusova's 155 and Anna Shcherbakova's 154. Not that much of a difference. After Polina T.'s and Anna P.'s retirements and Maria S.'s break, Stanislava and Anastasia Guliakova seem to be the tallest (168 and 166 cm respecticely) of the Russian ladies.

Scott512

Record Breaker
She is not extremely tall even for a skater. Her ISU bio says she's 156 cm compared to Alexandra Trusova's 155 and Anna Shcherbakova's 154. Not that much of a difference. After Polina T.'s and Anna P.'s retirements and Maria S.'s break, Stanislava and Anastasia Guliakova seem to be the tallest (168 and 166 cm respecticely) of the Russian ladies.

I wouldn't go by that. They still list Alina as the same height she was before the Olympics. We know Alina is a couple inches taller than when she competed at the Olympics. Alena is much taller than 3A and the fact that she's so graceful makes her seem even taller. Russia really needs to improve their dance discipline in the next couple years. So hopefully this young lady will help them do that. The team gold will be there for the taking for Russia unless disciplines other than ladies hold them back like in the last Olympics.

DenissVFan

Medalist
I wouldn't go by that. They still list Alina as the same height she was before the Olympics. We know Alina is a couple inches taller than when she competed at the Olympics. Alena is much taller than 3A and the fact that she's so graceful makes her seem even taller. Russia really needs to improve their dance discipline in the next couple years. So hopefully this young lady will help them do that. The team gold will be there for the taking for Russia unless disciplines other than ladies hold them back like in the last Olympics.

They seem of about the same height in that photo taken a couple months ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1xzgq8p5k6/?igshid=1274ubev5eylm and all a little shorter than Shoma, who is <160 cm.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Her skating is very smooth, and her interpretation has always been something I appreciated. Shame we couldn't see her fulfill her potential in singles but I think that while the transition to dance won't be easy, I think she will do well and though I think the possibility of her returning to singles is little to none, I look forward to seeing more from Alena in the future! IF she makes it, she will be a beautiful ice dancer!