CBC's comments on Alina Zagitova | Page 16 | Golden Skate

CBC's comments on Alina Zagitova

Status
Not open for further replies.

tars

Record Breaker
Are we really debating American sport commentators/journalists respect for foreign skaters' names, when they removed "ch" from Plushchenko's surname to make it easier to pronunciate? :confused2:

Mike Krzyzewski - legendary basketball coach of US National Team, five-times(!) Olympic Champion, absolute dominator of college basketball with Duke Blue Devils - they call him "Coach K". :sarcasm:

Rudy Tomjanovich - NBA legendary all star player and two times NBA Champion as a coach with Houston Rockets, named "Rudy T". :sarcasm:

They just don't give a damn.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Are we really debating American sport commentators/journalists respect for foreign skaters' names, when they removed "ch" from Plushchenko's surname to make it easier to pronunciate? :confused2: ...

:laugh: Seems then that Plushenko himself has no respect for his own surname and that Plushenko himself just does not give a damn:

Евгений Плющенко — официальный сайт
Evgeni Plushenko — the official website

https://www.instagram.com/plushenkoofficial/ -- verified account

https://twitter.com/EvgeniPlushenko -- verified account​

moriel

Record Breaker
Are we really debating American sport commentators/journalists respect for foreign skaters' names, when they removed "ch" from Plushchenko's surname to make it easier to pronunciate? :confused2:

Mike Krzyzewski - legendary basketball coach of US National Team, five-times(!) Olympic Champion, absolute dominator of college basketball with Duke Blue Devils - they call him "Coach K". :sarcasm:

Rudy Tomjanovich - NBA legendary all star player and two times NBA Champion as a coach with Houston Rockets, named "Rudy T". :sarcasm:

Well, the transliteration rules can be vague. When russians get international docs, the names can be spelled anyway really, depending on location and officials.
If i was Plushenko, for example, I would myself make sure my name was spelled like that, simply because its a simpler spelling and produces less mistakes when dealing with foreigners. My mom has a rather weirdly - for a non russian - spelled name, for example, and whenever she need to give her name, she is just "ok, nevermind, lemme just show you my ID and you copy from there".
When I myself got citizenship in a foreign country, I managed to omit my russian patronimic, basically for the same reason - having to spell it to non russian people and the amount of mistakes they make with it is just too much to deal with. And it didnt even have a shch combo =)

I dont know who spelled his name like that, but its totally a favor to Plushy.

This thread has run its course and is now closed. Thank you, everyone for contributing. If anyone wishes to discuss Alina Zagitova's programs and performances further, please step over to the thread, "Zagitova pockets gold at GPF debut." :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.