CBC's comments on Alina Zagitova | Golden Skate

CBC's comments on Alina Zagitova

Status
Not open for further replies.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think the criticism is fair. Kurt had some nice things to say about her being able to carry the program for the first two minutes. The second half does feel a bit too dense with jumps and jump preparations.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I don't either.
First off, she is a fifteen year old girl. There is no excuse for criticizing a girl of her age that much for doing well. It's not like she murdered anybody or tried to commit treason or something. She skated well and in a way that would help her. It's what her coaches asked of her and it's what she delivered.
Secondly, I don't care what your opinion is, but to call yourself a professional commentator and then to say "there's nothing happening in the first two minutes might as well go to the bathroom or get popcorn" is degrading and unprofessional. Not only is there intricate choreography and non-jump elements, a skater is performing right now. If you don't like her layout, go talk to the people who made the rules that made that rewarding. Don't sit and say that she's not doing anything. Would you say that as a skater does, say a solo triple, a spin, step sequence, and choreo sequence in the first half? The only difference is one jump. And if you would, you've got a far greater problem.
Third of all, how on earth do these people want things to go? First they complain "there's too many jumps at the beginning of the program". So the ISU gives backloaded jumps a bonus. But now "everyone has similar layouts". Cue Alina Zagitova. And then "her program is too backloaded, it's too different". Make up your mind and stop criticizing a girl for doing something that will benefit her.

So, no, in my opinion, those comments were incredibly rude, unprofessional, and uncalled for. I am disgusted with the CBC commentators right now.

chloepoco

Medalist
I don't think they were saying anything really harsh--it is true that the program is unbalanced as far as all the jumping passes in the second half--that's all they were really criticizing. Everything else--her jumps, presentations, etc, they were praising her.

JustMe

On the Ice
I don't think they were saying anything really harsh--it is true that the program is unbalanced as far as all the jumping passes in the second half--that's all they were really criticizing. Everything else--her jumps, presentations, etc, they were praising her.

Agreed. The criticism was about the way the program is constructed, and their frustration at judges for rewarding such programs (and certain iffy landings) instead of deducting a point here and there.

Listen to how they called Daleman's free in case anybody wants to suggest nationalistic biased.

AKTKN

Rinkside
I was thinking about this type of arguments since WJC and i still dont really understand it.
Consider: Shakespearean Romeo and Juliet have 7 death in it. And you know, they all backloaded. First, Mercutio, have died around the middle of the play. Does that mean that the play is unbalanced, first part is empty and should be skipped and second one is stuffed with deaths and too tiring.
Should we apply the same standarts there?

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
I also don't think it was harsh. It was jokingly criticizing the system but the joke wasn't even funny and the man continued to talk like we have to find it amusing or something. He should maybe pick another career if he really cannot stand Alina's skating for two minutes.

tars

Record Breaker
You know what's rude and unprofessional in the first place?

TALKING ITSELF through the 80% of a skate.
I can barely hear the music, feel the rhythm, notice hitting musical accents, etc... :palmf:

Same with Zhurankov - Russian Eurosport guy. SHUT UP and let viewers enjoy the sport. :pray::confused2:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I also don't think it was harsh. It was jokingly criticizing the system but the joke wasn't even funny and the man continued to talk like we have to find it amusing or something. He should maybe pick another career if he really cannot stand Alina's skating for two minutes.

Oh snap :laugh2:

shine

Record Breaker
I’m sorry, if you are being marked like a world/Oly medal contender and are getting almost 9’s for PCS, then all criticisms are fair game. It doesn’t matter if you are 15 or 25.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I’m sorry, if you are being marked like a world/Oly medal contender and are getting almost 9’s for PCS, then all criticisms aren’t fair game. It doesn’t matter of you are 15 or 25.

Yeah, those PCS are utter trash. Basically, they are saying she needs nothing to work on regarding her artistry and presentation, which is a joke of a statement. The inflated PCS are not helping her grow as a skater at all.

kenboy123

On the Ice
I think the criticism was actually warranted and I don't even think they were criticizing her, but her program...after all, she did not make the program...but she is taking advantage of the system by having all her jumps at the end, i mean it's legal, but it's not exactly the definition of a balanced program and she should take a hit on it in my opinion...i don't know if the judges don't care or don't see it, but we all see right through the strategy...what they did do is worded it badly and made themselves sound harsher than it needed to be ..."Zagitova is on the ice, time to go poop" ...i mean i paraphrased, but that's pretty much what they said, i mean WHAT???...i don't think that was necessary...

AnalyticalMind

Rinkside
1) Criticism about a young skater's programs (central to figure skating and therefore acceptable) is not the same as criticism about a young skater's looks (irrelevant to skating, mean-spirited, and therefore not acceptable). What, is nobody allowed to have an opinion about a skater's skating until s/he's 18?

2) If this (starting a thread about the most minute criticism about your favorite) isn't bickering, I don't know what is. Mods should really be enforcing the newly instated Bickering = Ban rule.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her age is irrelevant. Once she's entered the competitive arena, she is no more immune from criticism than any other skater.

As to whether the criticism is accurate - that's another question.

I tend to skip most ladies events nowadays, including this one, so I don't have an opinion on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.