Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Thread: CBC's comments on Alina Zagitova

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    and yet Dick Button seems to get a pass for that?
    Dick Button did not get a pass. Although Button is well-remembered, he diminished himself by a few of his thoughtless comments.

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    ^^^ It was after watching Maria Butyrskaya's SP at Worlds in 2000 that I went searching for another way to view figure skating. To hear him "Compare" her spiral to Michelle and Sarah was disgusting. He ruined the mood of the entire program by doing so. I guess it was a blessing in disguise because I found CBC and BESP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVt3I4IL18s

Tripping on the Podium

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrice View Post
    ^^^ It was after watching Maria Butyrskaya's SP at Worlds in 2000 that I went searching for another way to view figure skating. To hear him "Compare" her spiral to Michelle and Sarah was disgusting. He ruined the mood of the entire program by doing so. I guess it was a blessing in disguise because I found CBC and BESP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVt3I4IL18s
    Was it really disgusting? And I ask that sincerely. I just watched that entire program and they basically praise her for 98% of the time. Call her a fighter, say how they're rooting for her to do well, etc. Dick made that one comment. Figure skating is a comparative sport, so it's not like it came out of the blue.

I can completely understand identifying with a skater and not wanting to hear negative things said about her, but is there really that low of a bar for something to be disgusting? Commentators are allowed to have strong opinions. He is not passing himself off as a journalist. He just said, quite reasonably if you compare, that they had better spirals. Pretty run of the mill.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirals for Miles View Post
    I don't either.
    First off, she is a fifteen year old girl. There is no excuse for criticizing a girl of her age that much for doing well. It's not like she murdered anybody or tried to commit treason or something. She skated well and in a way that would help her. It's what her coaches asked of her and it's what she delivered.
    Secondly, I don't care what your opinion is, but to call yourself a professional commentator and then to say "there's nothing happening in the first two minutes might as well go to the bathroom or get popcorn" is degrading and unprofessional. Not only is there intricate choreography and non-jump elements, a skater is performing right now. If you don't like her layout, go talk to the people who made the rules that made that rewarding. Don't sit and say that she's not doing anything. Would you say that as a skater does, say a solo triple, a spin, step sequence, and choreo sequence in the first half? The only difference is one jump. And if you would, you've got a far greater problem.
    Third of all, how on earth do these people want things to go? First they complain "there's too many jumps at the beginning of the program". So the ISU gives backloaded jumps a bonus. But now "everyone has similar layouts". Cue Alina Zagitova. And then "her program is too backloaded, it's too different". Make up your mind and stop criticizing a girl for doing something that will benefit her.

So, no, in my opinion, those comments were incredibly rude, unprofessional, and uncalled for. I am disgusted with the CBC commentators right now.
    There was barely any criticism and it barely came off as criticism to me. They were extremely complimentary of her abilities and said she did a great job handling the 1st half. There was one comment regarding the balance of the program but they didn't criticize HER at all. In fact they praised her a lot.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmond4gold View Post

But heck it's Uncle Dick, he gets a pass, but be damned anyone else criticize a system, or use humour as a vehicle in their broadcast.

Dick was allowed to be a bully for so long by the end of his career that's all he was a lot of the time. He belittled Peggy at every turn. I'd have clocked him if I was her. The only one I remember actually not backing down to Dick's demand that everyone agree with him all the time was Kurt Browning, who respectfully disagreed with him and even during one discussion told Dick that he wasn't going to change his opinion.

Bona Fide Member

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by GGFan View Post
    Was it really disgusting? And I ask that sincerely. I just watched that entire program and they basically praise her for 98% of the time. Call her a fighter, say how they're rooting for her to do well, etc. Dick made that one comment. Figure skating is a comparative sport, so it's not like it came out of the blue.

I can completely understand identifying with a skater and not wanting to hear negative things said about her, but is there really that low of a bar for something to be disgusting? Commentators are allowed to have strong opinions. He is not passing himself off as a journalist. He just said, quite reasonably if you compare, that they had better spirals. Pretty run of the mill.
    This is a good question and I'm going to answer it from a personal angle. If I'm competing in a solo dance competition, something I did quite often when I was younger. The LAST thing I want to hear is how someone had better turns, or higher kicks, leaps, or expression!! If that's how Mr. Button feels, he can tell them backstage. Things like that happen all the time. It's not something an "Impartial" observer says about the defending world champion especially since she won the SP by quite a bit that day.

It's the same reason I have a hard listening to Tara Lipinski. I don't care what her "Opinion" of a skater happens to be. Her job is to tell us what the skater is doing on the ice and how she thinks the program will score. Not to compare one skater to another.......While they're performing!!!! Once a skater leaves the ice and is waiting for their scores, that's the time to say "Her spirals weren't as good as the other skaters, so she may not score as high." Does that make sense?

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrice View Post
    This is a good question and I'm going to answer it from a personal angle. If I'm competing in a solo dance competition, something I did quite often when I was younger. The LAST thing I want to hear is how someone had better turns, or higher kicks, leaps, or expression!! If that's how Mr. Button feels, he can tell them backstage. Things like that happen all the time. It's not something an "Impartial" observer says about the defending world champion especially since won the SP by quite a bit that day.

It's the same reason I have a hard listening to Tara Lipinski. I don't care what her "Opinion" of a skater happens to be. Her job is to tell us what the skater is doing on the ice and how she thinks the program will score. Not to compare a skater to another.......While they're performing!!!! Once a skater leaves the ice and is waiting for their scores, that's the time to say "Her spirals weren't as good as the other skaters, so she may not score as high." Does that make sense?
    well.. they were praising every single details of her skating.. even her dress and packaging etc... and he didn't say her spirals weren't good.. he said they are not as good as some other skaters... which is 100% true. I think, since you were Maria B's bf at the time, you took it too harshly

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4everchan View Post
    didn't we have the exact same thread yesterday?
    this basically

its their opinion & obv they're free to express it

we can watch OR not
    Basically like TSL
    everyone is biased

I prefer watching with Yulia & Adian now

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarpova View Post
    this basically

its their opinion & obv they're free to express it

we can watch OR not
    Basically like TSL
    everyone is biased

I prefer watching with Yulia & Adian now
    Yep, they are very good.
    And one of the very few commentators who dont bla bla bla bla cha cha cha during performances

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16