CBC's comments on Alina Zagitova | Page 15 | Golden Skate

CBC's comments on Alina Zagitova

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I thought it was on third to last? But I don't speak Russian...
All I can say is privet, spasibo, da, nyet, and yabloko...

Shayuki

Record Breaker
According to my 2 courses of high school Russian, you can only have one "o" sound per word. So Pogorilaya would be either Pogarilaya or Pagorilaya, and I'd go with Pogarilaya. But I don't think Pogorilaya is a possible pronunciation because you need emphasis on the syllable to say "o".

Note: Could be inaccurate!

Manitou

Medalist
Where is the emphasis / stress? Is it on the second syllable? or second-to-last, like in most Spanish words?

Russian native speakers may correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure in native Russian it's Myed-vyed-ye-va and Za-gi-to-va. I am not sure where it's for Pogorilaya, but I think it's third to last: Po-go-ree-la-ya.
However, this is in native Russian. For foreigners it's OK to stress the second-to-last syllable.
The reason for the third-to-last syllable accent pronunciation is because the '-va' last syllable is just a feminization of the root name 'Medvedev' or 'Zagitov', where the accent is on the second-to-last.

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
Usually in Russian non-accented "O" pronounced as "A", exception is some small ethnic groups with their own traditions.

Pogorilaya = Pagarilaya
Zagitova = Zagitava
Medvedeva = Miedviedieva = Midviedieva (it can vary, and in these diphthongs "i" only makes previous constant soft but isn't pronounced itself)
Kostornaya = Kastarnaya (but in some Russian regions it's Kastornaya as it's derived from "kastyor" = bonfire)
Trusova = Trusava

Nota bene: this is bad idea to pronounce any of vowels there as really long sound, only accented ones can be slightly longer

Is it bo or ba? All the Russians I know say spasiba so that's what I picked up. :think:

spasiba

russianfan

Match Penalty
Offering Russian classes. Cheap. :biggrin:
(just kidding)

Manitou got all accents right. Regarding Pogo, It actually sounds more like Pagarilaya

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"K8-lin"

It is, to be fair, a very weird spelling. But I wonder if the same commentators had problems with Kaitlyn Weaver, whose name is pronounced the same way?

I like Kaetlyn’s spelling of her name. I’m sure it gets butchered a bit and I can sympathize. Yulia’s name has morphed not only in spelling but in pronuncation from the time I started following her way before the Sochi Olympics. The Eurosport guys even thought she was Radionova at an event once :laugh:

ETA: Lol...I just noticed that I commented on that video I linked and three years ago I spelled her name Julia :dbana:

andromache

Record Breaker
Someone send me a link to all of the Russian/French/German/Japanese announcers and commentators pronouncing every North American skater's name correctly and then I will decide how to feel about this issue.

(Say what you want about Johnny Weir, but he is always sure to pronounce the Russian names correctly.).

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
When on earth does that happen, Osmond4Gold?
Once, maybe twice? The amount of times that happens for the Russian ladies is insane. Not everything is about the Canadians!

Only at every non North American event. But who's counting. But I understand that you are not that invested so you wouldn't notice.

Helena b

Rinkside
Someone send me a link to all of the Russian/French/German/Japanese announcers and commentators pronouncing every North American skater's name correctly and then I will decide how to feel about this issue.

(Say what you want about Johnny Weir, but he is always sure to pronounce the Russian names correctly.).

As far as I remember he speaks pretty good Russian.
He also called Plushenko Zhenya while commenting on Serfamifa's program and that made me smile for some reason.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Most Canadian commentators for figure skating are among the worst I have ever heard. They always talk poorly or simply dismiss lower ranked skaters from smaller countries/federations. They did cut lower ranked skaters, in times when they showed all the program and there was no internet streaming. And i am talking about Worlds or Olympics.
Even Canadians get some "pearls". I was appalled when some old guy said "and down she goes" when Alaine Chartrand fell on a jump near the end of the LP. The tone of "down she goes" was sour. Had he said, "unfortunate fall" I would have not complained. Nobody falls because they want. They are also more than cold against all Russian skaters. Julia L. and younger Anna P had the the best Canadian comments. Alena Leonova is among the worst in their mind.
As for Alina, I think it is more like sour grapes.

mrrice

Record Breaker
As far as I remember he speaks pretty good Russian.
He also called Plushenko Zhenya while commenting on Serfamifa's program and that made me smile for some reason.

He does speak Russian fairly well. The fact that he can handle an interview in Russian speaks volumes. We always had interpreters when we were there. In most places in St Petersburg, the subways and major buildings had signs in English. Fortunately, the locals and the dancers we worked with were very patient and helped tremendously. For some reason, here in the US, we often see Russia in winter time but, it's stunningly beautiful when the suns out. Still one of my favorite places I've ever been.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Usually in Russian non-accented "O" pronounced as "A", exception is some small ethnic groups with their own traditions.

Pogorilaya = Pagarilaya
Zagitova = Zagitava
Medvedeva = Miedviedieva = Midviedieva (it can vary, and in these diphthongs "i" only makes previous constant soft but isn't pronounced itself)
Kostornaya = Kastarnaya (but in some Russian regions it's Kastornaya as it's derived from "kastyor" = fire)
Trusova = Trusava

Nota bene: this is bad idea to pronounce any of vowels there as really long sound, only accented ones can be slightly longer

spasiba

Very good explanation and I have nothing to add there. The o = a pronounciation is what causes so many faulty spellings, as I believe, non Russian speakers don´t even consider that a written o, could ever be a spelled a. I am far from fluent in Russian though, but it was the first thing I learned in school and it still carries over up until today. If you once understood their system with the endings or pronounciations, you can never miss a good conversation, anymore.;)

Something else are those "nicknames" that Russians have. A Daria becomes a Dasha, a Maria a Masha, and so on. As a tip for those non Russians here, if you ever approach a Russian athlete with it´s Nickname, you are much more likely to get a reply. No matter how crowded, no matter what time, no Russian ever ignored me :laugh: But be prepared to then have a conversation in Russian :thumbsup:

@ Osmond, I never considered that her name would cause so many problems. I just always say Kaety to her, but wow! Where I have problems with names is anything Asian and to some degree French, if it´s not the standard like Lenaux & Co. I always break my tongue, it´s terrifyning each time I go to France and didn´t do my research. :(

I think the costumes are perfect for Alina and a clever choice. She always stands out among the other skaters and looks like a stunning ballerina, everything you would want for your first senior season and especially an Olympic season. And despite having the same coach as Evgenia, she has a completely different look that way.

This is a very good reply and I agree with all of it. She is unique, nobody is like her, which is not bad at all.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Very good explanation and I have nothing to add there. The o = a pronounciation is what causes so many faulty spellings, as I believe, non Russian speakers don´t even consider that a written o, could ever be a spelled a.
Well you have a point in some ways, but even in English something like "how" has the o pronounced as a instead of o there, so it's not like the concept should be foreign...

The struggle is mostly trying to figure out which syllable has emphasis because to me at least it's pretty much impossible without actually hearing the word being spoken.

Status
Not open for further replies.