CBC's comments on Alina Zagitova | Page 8 | Golden Skate

CBC's comments on Alina Zagitova

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatif

Medalist
I see Pelletier is still bitter for getting his silver medal in Salt Lake City. So he now taking it out on 15y.o girls. Just get over it already, man....

Viiktoruu

On the Ice
Evgenia is usually 1/4 turn short on all of her jump combos (which is just "normal" these days) and last season she was more than 1/4 short on all the 3S+3T combos but never got called. Her 3S+3T is looking better this season but the overall technique issue should play more into the GOE scores and instead she just gets a minimum of +2 GOE on all of her jumps, with many +3's. The other issue is how the calls are being made: many skaters who display better jump technique and are not more than 1/4 short get called for their jumps, while the pre-rotated technique jumps that aren't better rotated, or are actually less rotated, rarely get called.

I gave this a second thought and went to watch her again and no freaking way is her 3S+3T over 1/4 short. I don't know where you're getting this from.. I hope it's not those lunatic super slow-motion videos on youtube.. Those are my favourite though - some person literally spends time every day to make a video of how they think Yuna is better than Evgenia. Every freaking day :whack: But they are pretty sassy, I'll give them that :laugh:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I gave this a second thought and went to watch her again and no freaking way is her 3S+3T over 1/4 short.

It was, all season long. Watch where her skate leaves the ice and then where she lands. An example:

https://i.imgur.com/8qDj7bA.png (takeoff)

https://i.imgur.com/xzaXle8.png (landing)

It can be seen in real time too, not difficult if you're looking at her feet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gMDOeJ525s&t=3m40s - you can see how she barely jumps, reaching around with her toepick and spinning off the ice almost in stationary position, and then coming down short of being backwards after already doing that extra 1/4 turn of pre-rotation on the entrance.

flimflam

Rinkside
I think the Canadian broadcast team was simply spooked when they seen how good she was. This same team praised this same program to the stars when they seen it at World Juniors last year. But last year she was a junior and thus no threat to Osmond. This year it is a different story. Now they are seeing all sort of problems that they were blind to last year. There comments were simply motivated by a nationalistic urge to decrease Alina score in order to help out their own skaters.http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/images/smilies/noshake.gif

I find that skating is a lot more enjoyable to watch if your not concerned with which country a skater comes from, and instead just appreciate them as individuals engaged in a wonderful sport.

kresslia

Medalist
I see Pelletier is still bitter for getting his silver medal in Salt Lake City. So he now taking it out on 15y.o girls. Just get over it already, man....
He won a gold medal in SLC. I think he is fine, thanks for your concern. :noshake:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
she was talking about the rabbit some skaters hide in their tutus or skirts and that eat the carrots that should have been given to them or not by the tech panel..
:scard7:

- - - Updated - - -

ermmm okay :) Ic3(princess)Rabbit,please met Baron Vladimir

:laugh2:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Kurt Browning jealous of Alina because of Osmond? :laugh2: We've seen Osmond miss podiums in spectacular fashion, come 11th at a GP, and have some of her best skating - and that's all in the past 3 seasons. There has been little reason to be jealous of anyone because she's had her own battles and her own struggles...regardless of what's been going on with anyone else. In her latest ISU interview she even mentions she got sick of sucking and missing out on a trip to 2016 Worlds so she tried to clean up her act. That motivation didn't come from a backloading Eteri student - that came from Alaine & Gabby. At the end of the day nothing Kurt can say or do will help Osmond skate clean. And nothing he says will change what Alina does and earns.

If David had a bone to pick with Russian skating he would not be skating with Ekaterina Gordeeva these days. But maybe the less people know about David the better.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Kurt Browning jealous of Alina because of Osmond? :laugh2: We've seen Osmond miss podiums in spectacular fashion, come 11th at a GP, and have some of her best skating - and that's all in the past 3 seasons. There has been little reason to be jealous of anyone because she's had her own battles and her own struggles...regardless of what's been going on with anyone else. In her latest ISU interview she even mentions she got sick of sucking and missing out on a trip to 2016 Worlds so she tried to clean up her act. That motivation didn't come from a backloading Eteri student - that came from Alaine & Gabby. At the end of the day nothing Kurt can say or do will help Osmond skate clean. And nothing he says will change what Alina does and earns.

If David had a bone to pick with Russian skating he would not be skating with Ekaterina Gordeeva these days. But maybe the less people know about David the better.

:clap:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I feel like I've just walked into the wild, wild west of figure skating...

The CBC comments were not mean spirited. They were legitimate critiques. There are things it's not appropriate to do- it's not appropriate to make negative comments about a skater as a person, or criticize their appearance, weight, etc. But if a skater is going to skate in Senior ladies they have to be prepared for criticism on their performance. Most of what the commentators said about her was positive, but they pointed out some valid concerns.

Personally, I don't particularly care about one backloaded program. What I care about is what it means for skating. Is this all we are going to see 10 years down the line? Is this good or bad for the sport (I would argue it's a bad thing for the sport for a number of reasons but it doesn't really matter what I think). Are we going to ignore certain things and prop up others. I think that is the heart of what the commentators were getting at. They aren't really critiquing Alina- they are criticizing the system that rewards backloaded, uneven programs (love it or hate it).

Viiktoruu

On the Ice
It was, all season long. Watch where her skate leaves the ice and then where she lands. An example:

https://i.imgur.com/8qDj7bA.png (takeoff)

https://i.imgur.com/xzaXle8.png (landing)

It can be seen in real time too, not difficult if you're looking at her feet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gMDOeJ525s&t=3m40s - you can see how she barely jumps, reaching around with her toepick and spinning off the ice almost in stationary position, and then coming down short of being backwards after already doing that extra 1/4 turn of pre-rotation on the entrance.

Umm.. Her takeoff foot on the toe loop is the RIGHT one, and you've posted a photo of her LEFT foot leaving the ice :palmf:

Eclair

Medalist
Umm.. Her takeoff foot on the toe loop is the RIGHT one, and you've posted a photo of her LEFT foot leaving the ice :palmf:

no, a toe loop has the left foot pick into the ice. look at the video in slo-mo. It take-off image indeed shows the take-off of the toe-loop.

when I first saw the take-off picture I thought it was a salchow though, because it has so much pre-rotation

Viiktoruu

On the Ice
no, a toe loop has the left foot pick into the ice. look at the video in slo-mo. It take-off image indeed shows the take-off of the toe-loop.

It does have the left foot in the ice - it's a toe pick assisted jump, but the foot which has the toe pick in the ice to ensure takeoff is NOT the takeoff foot. It is not the direction of the blade of the LEFT foot that is considered when counting rotations, but the right one. Apply the opposite logic and freeze frame other skaters (and I mean really famous ones - Yuna, Yuzu - technical masters) and tell me their takeoff is not the same? Or are they all underrotated all the time??

The toe loop is a jump with the takeoff and landing on the backward outside edge of the SAME foot. That's literally the definition.

when I first saw the take-off picture I thought it was a salchow though, because it has so much pre-rotation

Rotation or pre-rotation are determined from the beginning of take-off. This is the moment the toe pick hits the ice and the takeoff leg (here - the RIGHT one) goes into the air. The picture shows the incorrect moment of takeoff because it shows the takeoff from the view of the foot that's not even the takeoff foot - so you cannot determine a so-called "pre-rotation" (as you falsely call it here) from that picture :dumb:

slider11

Medalist
I’m sorry, if you are being marked like a world/Oly medal contender and are getting almost 9’s for PCS, then all criticisms are fair game. It doesn’t matter if you are 15 or 25.

Agree! If you want to skate with the elite you must be prepared for elite criticism, whatever your age. Granted, the criticism was also targeted at the system BUT it also points out that the component scores should reflect the artistry of the entire program and just not that which is expressed at the beginning. Ultimately, the constructive criticsm is to the judges who should not be setting their PCSs until they weight the entire performance.

icetigger

On the Ice
The only things I have to say on this matter is that there have been two not on Canadian soil Grand Prix events where the style of Canadian commentary has gained more attention (negative) than anything any Canadian did on the ice..... I think a, the ISU should be looking at CBC's license for broadcasting and commentating on their events (which I'm sure they will be doing), and b, the Canadian commentators should stop exhibiting this bad sportsmanship, where obvious attacks are being made on individual skaters, countries, ISU officials, and ISU events, because they really can't be doing themselves and/or their skaters any favours in the long run.

I think a, the ISU should be looking at CBC's license for broadcasting and commentating on their events (which I'm sure they will be doing),...

I am pretty sure the ISU is tickled to death to have anyone broadcasting skating and paying the ISU for the privilege.

Status
Not open for further replies.