2017 GP Internationaux de France Mens SP | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Internationaux de France Mens SP

da96103

Record Breaker
And frankly I quite liked Shoma as well, even with the fall. I liked the pace of the program among the cuts (even if there's this one cut I don't like because it cuts a cadence off #musician)

Because it is a interrupted cadence?

sheetz

Record Breaker
I don't think Shoma will have a problem qualifying for GPF. He probably only needs to finish top 4. Maybe even top 5.

Of greater concern is whether or not his body can hold up until the Olympics. He's been pushing him almost nonstop for the past year and at some point it's just going to start breaking down.

All I'm hearing here is more men should go the Adam Rippon route and wear makeup at competition (I think he looked quite lovely at NHK and he was definitely wearing makeup. He looked quite youthful for 28!).

OT, but on the subject of lookin' good ... Jeremy Abbott (age 32) was just on local TV in Detroit. He is skating in the season's opening of the big outdoor skating rink downtown.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All I'm hearing here is more men should go the Adam Rippon route and wear makeup at competition (I think he looked quite lovely at NHK and he was definitely wearing makeup. He looked quite youthful for 28!).

And yes! Flu shots for everyone!

All the US men get lessons on “packaging”, which I believe includes makeup and hair at Champs Camp, so I would be astounded if Adam were the only one, ripe old age of 28 or no.

Now will they look as fan-flipping-tastic as Rohene Ward did in the KnC today, no, but they need to skate in competition and Ro does not.:cool:

Anyway, Javi had something to prove, and prove it he did. I generally truly dislike Chaplin programs, but this really held it together for me. Maravilloso!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Vincent Zhou

Ouch, a technical disaster for Zhou here. Fall on the 4Lz and another fall on the 4F so he couldn't tack on any combo so it's not worth anything. And then a shaky 3A. Zhou is definitely capable of doing a technical program as difficult as Chen's but he hasn't been successful with these two new jumps, either falling on under-rotating. He may need to change up his strategy of having strong triple and choosing the quads he can perform well (though I know he can land that 4Lz). Unfortunately, his interpretation and choreography is limited given how open it needs to be to have the speed into the quads. Hope he does better in the free.

hi hi draqq... i meant to point this out earlier.. it's not true that a skater loses a jumping pass if there is no combo... they simply lose the value of the combo jump (whether it is a triple or a double) in the LP the rules are different... when a jump is repeated it NEEDS to be in a combo.. If a skater fails to do that, then they lose a percentage of the base value (i think they lose 30%)

you can see it in Vincent's protocols... sure, he didn't score big as both jump had falls and were UR but they both are counted.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Denis Ten. Let me just say that, regardless of his first jump, these are the kind of performances that I live for in figure skating. I've already rewatched it several times (and I just finished watching the men's competition a short time ago this evening, lol). Also, wonderful to see Javi back on his game!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Denis Ten. Let me just say that, regardless of his first jump, these are the kind of performances that I live for in figure skating. I've already rewatched it several times (and I just finished watching the men's competition a short time ago this evening, lol). Also, wonderful to see Javi back on his game!

I agree. Denis' performance was beautiful! I'm looking forward to his FS, which I liked even more than his SP.

I enjoyed Misha too. I have to see that he's improved so much over the years in his basics and his consistency is pretty noteworthy. I might have argued for Denis and Misha to switch places.

It was nice to see Javi be so spot on today. Brian was right to let Javi not obsess too much about adding quads and just do the things he do well.

Last edited:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Mika Saarelainen, also a judge, was yesterday the Finnish Commentator on Eurosport. It is quite interesting (and a little bit irritating at the same time) to hear about those very little things which affect to scores. Like little pauses before the jumps are not allowed at all in the SP, I even did not notice those pauses. And he said that the edge is the most important thing in the whole skating and Javier has the best edges or at least one of the best of men.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'll have to look at Samarin's 4Lutz again but it didn't at all look underrated, that seems to be a strange call. He was undermarked on GOE either way and his overall skating has already seemed to improve since his last Grand Prix. This guy could become really great.

Very happy to see Fernandez deliver. Not a huge fan of the program, his 2013 Chaplin was way better, but nice enough anyway.

I'm sad Moris fell, he was doing so well, landing that 4S+3T.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Well, this is the way Javi skates his sp without having a food-poisoning and with Brian on the rink-side now!!! Great job!!!

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I am so confused by this kind of judging really, Samarin got 40 PCS for a program that has nothing in between jumps and spins, but I also thought calling his lz ur was unfair, if samarin's lz was ur they should have given downgrade to Uno's flip. Uno's pcs are very questionable to me, how he got one point less than clean Javi with a fall and 2 shaky jumping passes I have no idea,also I am not talking here about complexity and transitions Javier has compared to Uno.So now judges are telling us that flawed Shoma is almost on same level on pcs as pristine clean Fernandez? Sorry, I have to disagree strongly.

rabbit1234

On the Ice
I think Javier FERNANDEZ 's Chaplin Medley is a distraction as a program.
He uses a lot of different music.
Therefore, the theme is distracting.
I think Malaguena's program was high-quality and judge has also been highly evaluated, and compared to it, I think Chaplin Medley is not a high valuation.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think Javier´s SP is ok. But, he is old and talent enough to use some classical music now. It would not have worked maybe five years ago, but I now it would. He does not need to be comical every time any more. I would love to see him skate something "serious".

moriel

Record Breaker
I am so confused by this kind of judging really, Samarin got 40 PCS for a program that has nothing in between jumps and spins, but I also thought calling his lz ur was unfair, if samarin's lz was ur they should have given downgrade to Uno's flip. Uno's pcs are very questionable to me, how he got one point less than clean Javi with a fall and 2 shaky jumping passes I have no idea,also I am not talking here about complexity and transitions Javier has compared to Uno.So now judges are telling us that flawed Shoma is almost on same level on pcs as pristine clean Fernandez? Sorry, I have to disagree strongly.

Regarding uno (i like him, but what judges do is not a favor imho), I wonder if someone knowledgeable could / would break down his step sequences in both SP and FS carefully

- - - Updated - - -

I think Javier´s SP is ok. But, he is old and talent enough to use some classical music now. It would not have worked maybe five years ago, but I now it would. He does not need to be comical every time any more. I would love to see him skate something "serious".

Nah, we got too much serious already. I mean, ofc he could do another Carmen.
If anything, we need more fun and weird programs.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

the program was better than Skate Canada: strong commitment, good speed, and great attack. (not a fan of the choreography or the choice of the music)

Personally i think his components should have been behind Kvitelashvili, probably around 38-39 but at the same time judges were harsh with his TES (the 4ltz wasn't UR, the 4T had little steps), so the overall score is fair all things considered.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Nah, we got too much serious already. I mean, ofc he could do another Carmen.
If anything, we need more fun and weird programs.

I hardly would consider Chaplin weird when it's almost as much of a warhorse as Carmen. Especially if you watch junior boys where it's very, very popular (torture for me as a Chaplin hater). And he did this theme already. It's tiresome and especially annoying because he can do so much better. Black Betty was so great and fun...that was his best SP for me.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'll have to look at Samarin's 4Lutz again but it didn't at all look underrated, that seems to be a strange call. He was undermarked on GOE either way and his overall skating has already seemed to improve since his last Grand Prix. This guy could become really great.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason whatsoever to your opinions. You trash everyone who doesn't fit your extremely narrow definition of artistry but yet you like Samarin, one of the emptiest and least artistic skaters in the men's discipline? What?

rabbit1234

On the Ice
I think Chaplin itself is ok.
The problem is the arrangement of music.
Why are figure skating competitors easily joining different completely different music?
Started dancing the strange tango in the middle of Mozart's piano concerto.
Many programs with artistically ugly arrangements.

Apart from the program, Javier is doing great. It is also good in FP practice, so there is a possibility of exceeding 320 points.

I think there is a possibility that Javier and shoma exceeding 300 points this season can not participate in the GPF.