Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Results 91 to 100 of 100

Thread: What is special about the ladies?

  1. #91
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    98

    9 Not allowed!
    All these old timers who started watching skating in the 90s! That must make me really ancient (which I am of course) since I got interested in figure skating when my parents took me to Sonia Henie movies in the 40s. My wife and I got to watch the Protopopovs practicing on the old rink in Lake Placid when we attended a Junior Grand Prix (featuring Mirai) in 2007. It was a once in a lifetime and wonderful experience that I still treasure.

  2. #92
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,586

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chopinskate View Post
    They are boring with a pre-ordained winner this quad.

    So naturally the ISU has manufactured a showdown between Med and Zag. Bet this pulled in around a 1000 more audience members than it would have.

    Whatever works. Just let's not pretend that they are far better the rest of the field. They land jumps, but that's about it.
    Of course, Medvedeva and Zagitova are much better than the rest of the field, actually by 10 pts. in the short and 20 pts. in the free as was shown during the team event. It's not only about jumps - it's about everything. Who is at their level? May be theoretical clean Caro could challenge them but even if she manages somehow to show in a week what she was not able to show during the last 2 seasons it will not be the proof - it will be a miracle like the holy fire which falls on Jerusalem just once in a year and never in between.

    But I was perplexed by the opening sentence. Who is the pre-ordained winner? I am not sure it is clear, if Zagitova or Medvedeva is going to win.

  3. #93
    ~
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    3,217

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by samkrut@mail.ru View Post
    Of course, Medvedeva and Zagitova are much better than the rest of the field, actually by 10 pts. in the short and 20 pts. in the free as was shown during the team event. It's not only about jumps - it's about everything. Who is at their level? May be theoretical clean Caro could challenge them but even if she manages somehow to show in a week what she was not able to show during the last 2 seasons it will not be the proof - it will be a miracle like the holy fire which falls on Jerusalem just once in a year and never in between.

    But I was perplexed by the opening sentence. Who is the pre-ordained winner? I am not sure it is clear, if Zagitova or Medvedeva is going to win.
    Pre-ordained because there really was no one getting better than Medvedeva in this quad. So we all knew who was going to win, until Zagitova came in. The PCS rise for Zagitova has been insane and I think it's been done to create the showdown we're going to have soon.

    I think Medvedeva should've won the WCs she did, and Zagitova should be leading on FS scores. I just don't think their scores should be as huge as they are.

  4. #94
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,144
    Country: United States of America

    3 Not allowed!
    To answer the thread's question, maybe it's because skating attracts more female fans than other sports?

  5. #95
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    140
    Country: Mozambique

    1 Not allowed!
    ^ That is empirically true. Figure skating is perhaps the only sporting event I see a larger female audience in an arena.

    But I am not sure that explains why female skaters are the ones who generate more attention than male skaters. Wouldn't female audience be more interested in male skaters?

  6. #96
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    113

    2 Not allowed!
    Because it is one of the few sports that appeals to interests typically associated with females. Skating has elements of theatre, dance, music, and fashion. These aspects are more prominent in the ladies discipline than the men. Furthermore, the US has a history of ladies champions, so much of our association with the sport is with the ladies field. Pairs skating also used to be quite popular because it had the added element of romance. I recall G & G being quite popular in the US and there were quite a few skating movies that featured pairs skating.

  7. #97
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,144
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Putina View Post
    ^ That is empirically true. Figure skating is perhaps the only sporting event I see a larger female audience in an arena.

    But I am not sure that explains why female skaters are the ones who generate more attention than male skaters. Wouldn't female audience be more interested in male skaters?
    No, just like male audiences are more interested in male sports, female audiences like female sports--or at least a female sport like ladies figure skating that includes artistic expression, both in movement and in packaging.

  8. #98
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    507

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chopinskate View Post
    They are boring with a pre-ordained winner this quad.

    So naturally the ISU has manufactured a showdown between Med and Zag. Bet this pulled in around a 1000 more audience members than it would have.

    Whatever works. Just let's not pretend that they are far better the rest of the field. They land jumps, but that's about it.
    That's because they are. I mean who is the ISU going to pit splat queens Osmond and Kostner? I suppose instead of pretending the Russians are a class above we could always pretend not seeing the splats, the lack of transitions and the incessant crossovers, the less than ideal spin positions etc.

  9. #99
    ~
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    3,217

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmanmao View Post
    That's because they are. I mean who is the ISU going to pit splat queens Osmond and Kostner? I suppose instead of pretending the Russians are a class above we could always pretend not seeing the splats, the lack of transitions and the incessant crossovers, the less than ideal spin positions etc.
    Did I disagree with Alina and Evgenia dominating this field?

    I don't see where.

    I am allowed to say that they aren't far better than the rest of the field. Their PCS is hyper-inflated to give them the win. But their wins themselves are usually deserved. Not always, as I disagree with a few of the GP results we had this season, but usually.

  10. #100
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5,150

    0 Not allowed!
    Well, since I'm a lady and I figure skated for a number of years, of course I watch the ladies skate! Karen Magnussen is still my hero and who inspired me to skate when I was young. You ask what is special about the ladies? I would answer everything! The ladies bring the feminine, artistic side to skating. Of course, there are a lot of athletic women skaters, but they still have that feminine side that makes you feel as though you're at the ballet. The male skaters have always made it exciting to watch because they can do the big jumps, but I still enjoy watching the artistry of the ladies.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •