What is special about the ladies? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What is special about the ladies?

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Yes I was thinking about this after I mentioned the thread views and actually thinking number of unique members that enter/view a thread was actually a better idea of how many are interested in a discipline - with constant bickering there’s a lot of posts or views likely from the same handful of people.

Anyone have any stats on profitability? Sometimes I see the large number of empty seats at the smaller events and wonder if they are able to break even on event costs.

When the ISU talks about popularity of the sport I do assume they bring it back to money earned. For the events it’s ticket sales and merchandise sales at the venue, for broadcast it’s likely commercials. I don’t have cable so I’m stuck with NBC with Tara and Johnny, but the majority of ads are Viking Cruises and SPCA, although prime time broadcasts seem to be more varied on advertisements. The typical broadcast time for me ends up being noon to 3 PM on the west coast on a Saturday or Sunday, which I imagine is a lot tougher to take in viewers. Even as a skating fan I rarely catch the broadcast on TV because it’s a) pre-recorded and I’ve already watched it elsewhere and b) I’m rarely at home when they broadcast. Even Ice Network which is a paid streaming service has some minimal ads and I think it’s usuallt for Viking Cruises as well.

Japanese media sometimes publish viewership stats for competitions. I think last year they saw a dip in viewers (likely due to Yuzuru’s withdrawal) with the highest viewership recorded when Mao skated (I’d need to dig up the article to get exact %). For Worlds in Helsinki Men’s SP rating averaged 16.3% for Fuji TV with a peak of 25.1% during Yuzuru’s SP. I think the ratings were similar for Yuzuru’s FS at Rostelecom in October At 25.4%. The original article is no longer available so I’m not sure if they listed average for that event. Supposedly getting 15% during prime time is considered very good in Japan so clearly it’s popularity there is doing well in generating revenue. I notice that board ads also have Japanese ads (I have a fun time trying to guess what they are) and I know in Boston and Helsinki there were Japanese video ads playing in the arena. It makes me wonder if ad time during live figure skating broadcasts in Japan are extremely expensive.

I saw the same Prudential ad 5 times in an hour and a half. I counted.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This whole process of 'convincing' other people watching to someone's point of view, opinion, judgement - based on numbers, rules or just plain personal preference - is oddly fascinating and alluring to witness and engage in.

I think sometimes it's not a matter of 'convincing' or arguing, but simply giving different information or perspective in order to round out the picture. To me, that makes for much more interesting conversations and exchanges.

Even when an interchange starts with where agreement can be found, many interchanges move to quickly state one's own opinions, often in opposition. So it sounds like everyone is arguing. And it sounds like parties are trying to convert others to their own point of view. And that may sometimes be the intent. But sometimes it's just a desire to create a more complete picture and enlarge the parameters of the conversation by looking at things from a different angle.

So because people perceive others statements' as trying to change someone else's mind .... and it states right in the guidelines that no one is going to change anyone else's mind ... it sometimes discourages sharing what's on our minds. Bottom line is, I think sometimes posts sound like arguments, when the poster may or may not mean them that way.

Some do, of course, mean it that way; they see the forum as an opportunity to debate. And if you go back to the rules of debate, the objective is to win the argument, to make a case for one point of view and chip away at the other.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Mainly because ladies figure skating emphasizes traditional feminine qualities as well as strength. It rewards elegance, softness, stretch, grace, and sensitivity to music, as well as power, precision, and fortitude. It's also a sport that isn't about head-to-head competition, more about competing with one another than against one another. So ladies is an easier entry point for many viewers, particularly those who aren't thrilled by traditional sports.

While I enjoy the mens and ice dance disciplines more (currently), it's no surprise to me that it's more popular in Asian countries where androgyny is a more acceptable and desirable trait for men. Western masculinity is more about being strong, tough, and well-muscled - hence, American football, MMA, wrestling, etc.

ragdoll

On the Ice
I think there is more than one reason for the emphasis on ladies on the forum.

1. The forum language is English and the US has a large population so the majority of members is probably Americans who have always focused on ladies' skating.

2. The figure skating audience is mainly female and in many countries, figure skating is regarded as a feminine sport.

It might be different if there was an equal number of members of all nationalities who are actively posting on the forum.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
It doesn't help that Men are in a poor spot with all the falls caused by enormous quad inflation and the increasingly diminishing importance of artistry. It's really not been all that enjoyable to watch lately.
This sums it up perfectly for me. The focus on quads just makes the Men's competitions bad. And I just don't like watching guys fall again and again.
Also, I prefer shiny and colorful costumes over the bland outfits a lot of guys feel are "costumes". Sport it is, but I'm also here for the entertainment. :sarcasm:

Ylyzybyth

Final Flight
Oksana winning the gold medal in that pink dress was my earliest figure skating memory. Then I remember seeing Tara Lipinski winning the olympics. I think I was about 9 at the time and it was so exciting that she was only 6 yrs older than me and had done something so amazing! I had a scrapbook with the newspaper articles and pictures LOL! Just have always followed ladies, and recently have been watching more men.

Inessence

Rinkside
I always thought their general aesthetic many figure skaters were geared for was "ballet on ice". Ballerinas being women, either alone or in the accompaniment of a man. Men figure skating alone under that definition is off-gendered a bit. Resulting in the women's competition becoming more aesthetically pleasing to the standardized gender norm. Personally, I don't mind seeing more athletic skating or especially different musical (read: other than classical) elements added to the mix for both men and women, er "ladies".

prettykeys

Medalist
The reason? Sadly, I’d say it’s as simple as me being a female myself!
I find I prefer to watch female competition in all sports I watch.
As much as I try to think of some deep reason as to why, I absolutely can’t. Most I can come up with is that it’s easier to identify with them? But that doesn’t work for skating as there’s no way to identify with landing those jumps!!
Also doesn’t explain why I don’t like pairs or dance.
This is my main reason as well...some sort of vicarious princess/superwoman fantasy in me.

I watch blood sports as well (MMA), and I follow both the men and the women, but the women more intensely for the same reason. The men are still much more skilled as a group, but I guess I find it more personally inspiring when I see the women being fit and amazing. I imagine that it's more possible for me, while I sit on my butt...

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I agree with a lot of points said. But for me the most important one is that the ladies now are the most exciting group ever, both junior and senior. There are geniuses from 14 year old Kostornaya to 31 year old Kostner who had competed in senior Europeans before Alena was even born.

Yes, there are 2 things: 1) Medvedeva and Zagitova always win (when Zagitova does not face Medvedeva) 2) Russia has absolute dominance in junior ladies and very strong presence (in fact close to dominance) in the senior group. This is the reason, I guess, that many posters keep saying how dead figure skating is and how they don't follow ladies any longer. I don't believe them - I just think, they are envious.

Weathergal

Medalist
Ladies was a huge entry point for me when I was a young fan. I loved Kristi, Midori and Lulu. And of course Michelle Kwan. And I actually resumed watching skating again a few years ago because of Yuna Kim.

But since then, ice dance and men have become my favorite disciplines. Partially because I am a big fan of certain skaters in those disciplines and also what silverfoxes said, there seems to be more diversity.

I still have a passing interest in ladies, especially U.S. ladies, and sometimes I feel compelled to discuss them. But I just don't have a huge vested interest in Ladies' results. I think there are a lot of folks that feel as I do. But even if there are more people who are not watching ladies all, ladies is SO popular that I think it's still leading easily.

So these are hypotheical numbers--but I'm sure at one time Ladies was like 10 Men 4, Icedance 2 pairs 1. Maybe now you have something like 8 ladies, men 5, ice dance 4 or pairs 2 or something like that. There's probably more interest in the other disciplines, but not enough to overtake the ladies.

Wow Mrs P, couldn't have described it better myself! Represents my "figure skating journey" as well, except my entry was Dorothy Hamill. :slink:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, here in the US, the ladies skaters have much more marketability. Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, and Dorothy Hammil all had big commercial contracts. For the Men, I think Brain Boitano and Scott Hamilton are the Men who had national commercial contracts. I thought Evan would have appeared in more commercials after his win and his stint on DWTS...

Peggy Flemming headlined a TV Special...Here's Peggy....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnyVYYFfMmk

thegreendestiny

On the Ice
People have strong feelings about their faves. When things don't go their way, they like to express displeasure saying that "the sport is dead", "ISU is corrupt" and other blah blah. Yet they are the same people who almost always present in the comment and forum section.

Ladies of course are the most popular because this sport is all about elegance and grace which are the predominant qualities attributed to women.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
This is my main reason as well...some sort of vicarious princess/superwoman fantasy in me.

I watch blood sports as well (MMA), and I follow both the men and the women, but the women more intensely for the same reason. The men are still much more skilled as a group, but I guess I find it more personally inspiring when I see the women being fit and amazing. I imagine that it's more possible for me, while I sit on my butt...

So nice to see a Yuna Uber still here. I kinda wondered where all of them went. Even with OLY is Korea there are a lot of Yuna Uber’s we don’t see anymore. It is nice to see a Yuna avatar. I do not follow her and I don’t gomtonfanfests as they are so so long. Not even for Jason do I venture there as their personal lives and selfies do not interest me. But I was rewatching Sochi and really enjoyed Yuna and Carolina and even Adelina had a great event I must confess.

Your post makes me wonder what exactly the Korean superstar is doing besides all her endorsements. Yuna fans have you mostly left the site? What is the queen up to? She is such a beautiful girl. Love that avatar.

lappo

Final Flight
So nice to see a Yuna Uber still here. I kinda wondered where all of them went. Even with OLY is Korea there are a lot of Yuna Uber’s we don’t see anymore. It is nice to see a Yuna avatar. I do not follow her and I don’t gomtonfanfests as they are so so long. Not even for Jason do I venture there as their personal lives and selfies do not interest me. But I was rewatching Sochi and really enjoyed Yuna and Carolina and even Adelina had a great event I must confess.

Your post makes me wonder what exactly the Korean superstar is doing besides all her endorsements. Yuna fans have you mostly left the site? What is the queen up to? She is such a beautiful girl. Love that avatar.

Superbusy promoting the Olympic Games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruv6uxcUJ98
Mentors Korean youngsters both about skating and other things (i.e. she was the one who encouraged Young You to be the first torch carrier for her country).

prettykeys

Medalist
So nice to see a Yuna Uber still here. I kinda wondered where all of them went.
I notice some fellow ubers still around...looks like some moved on to being a general skating fan; others may have become preoccupied with other things. I was a casual "every 4 years" fan tuning into the Olympics since the days of Kristi, so I'm "checking in" for the Olympic season again. :biggrin:

I'm quite pleased that Carolina Kostner and Patrick Chan are still skating (gorgeous gliding makes me that happy). Ashley Wagner has blossomed into an expressive, vivacious woman who's comfortable being herself. We sometimes speak about figure skating longevity like it's a grind, but with her long career she's only gotten better, seemingly self-actualized. My interest is piqued by the balletic, radiant Alina Zagitova, and there are many others for me to get newly acquainted with...I know it's going to be a great Olympics, even without someone for me to uber over. ;)

Alex D

Record Breaker
My favorite is Ice Dance and Ladies.

Ice Dance, because I was a dancer myself and I did DJ for 3/4 of my life, so it is natural to like that. Plus, I love the combination of boy and girl, telling a story. Hip Hop was my absolute highlight, shame it only lasted for a season...

Ladies, because I coach young girls and I know how they like a nice word here and there. It makes their day and they have a lot of struggles while they grow up, so ya ... And as Maxim said a while ago, we have to be nice to the Ladies, that´s why we men exist :D

As for men,

my biggest issue with the men is the falls and the compositions at times. There are some super entertaining programs like the Elvis medley or Plushy at Sochi in the short... but ya, I am just not really digging things that much with the boys. Pairs skating has also taken a hit lately, the skates are often with many mistakes, as everyone is so determined to up the difficulty.

It´s just so hard to enjoy it.

I saw nice things during my 3 GP events, but I also only saw ladies and ice dance complete.