Sotnikova cleared of doping charge | Golden Skate

Sotnikova cleared of doping charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

GF2445

Record Breaker
2014 Olympic Women's Figure Skating Champion Adelina Sotnikova has been cleared of doping allegations, which were made when she was implicated in the McLaren Report, after WADA found scratching on test tubes of her urine sample.
At the same time, a further four Russian athletes have had their medals stripped off them for doping at the Sochi Olympics. The IOC are likely to make a decision of Russia's participation at the upcoming 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics in December.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/inde...e-by-ioc-but-four-russian-skiers-disqualified

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Happy for her.

The backlash she received after Sochi is extremely unfair and disgusting, her only fault is that she had the skate of her life that night.

lyndichee

Medalist
Happy for her.

The backlash she received after Sochi is extremely unfair and disgusting, her only fault is that she had the skate of her life that night.

Any backlash regarding scoring should be directed at judges, never the skaters. It is so sad that a lot of people still can't seem to grasp this concept.

It's hard to imagine not seeing Russia at the 2018 Olympics; the competition would look really empty.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank god Adelina’s name is cleared. Finally!

I think this will help ensure Russian figure skating has a place in the upcoming Olympic Games. Like in Rio, I don’t think the IOC wants a blanket ban and will let the international federations determine if they suspect cheating within their sport. I hope to hear Travis Tygert apologize to Adelina and other NADA officials take a chill and return their focus onto their own athletes.

nimi

Medalist
Is it naive to hope that this will be the end of discussion re: Sotnikova and doping allegations? FINALLY?

Anyway... This is good news for figure skating & good for her.

Purv

Match Penalty
she hasnt been cleared of anything
Of course Adelina wasnt a doper, who thought that? In figure skating you dont have to dope to be able to win .Skiers are not figure skaters, they are not judged , they need strenght to win so they could take dope. Adelinas winning has nothing to do with taking a dope

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
she hasnt been cleared of anything
Of course Adelina wasnt a doper, who thought that?

The head of the United States Anti Doping Agency Travis Tygert just about a week or two ago publicly mentioned Adelina. He was suggesting she was potentially part of the cocktail scheme.

Purv

Match Penalty
The head of the United States Anti Doping Agency Travis Tygert just about a week or two ago publicly mentioned Adelina. He was suggesting she was potentially part of the cocktail scheme.

Yeah , one wek or two ago. not so long. I wouldnt be so surprised , she got lost all her stamina and skills after Olympics :biggrin:
but seriously all this time people said that she got medal because of the judges. And they will be still saying so.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
it's good she cleared. I don't see anything illegitimate about the suspicion, though, given the issues with other Russian athletes. It's unfortunate for her that she hails from a country that in so many aspects of life is corrupt.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's unfortunate for her that she hails from a country that in so many aspects of life is corrupt.

Well that’s a peculiar statement. Show me one that doesn’t fit this definition. We’re all human after all.

moriel

Record Breaker
it's good she cleared. I don't see anything illegitimate about the suspicion, though, given the issues with other Russian athletes. It's unfortunate for her that she hails from a country that in so many aspects of life is corrupt.

I would say this requires more explanation.
While there is corruption in russia, yes, it is not any close to USA level, for example, where they have legal lobbying. Or Brazil, where basically all the political elites, including last 3 presidents, are envolved in a major corruption scandal.

Purv

Match Penalty
I would say this requires more explanation.
While there is corruption in russia, yes, it is not any close to USA level, for example, where they have legal lobbying.

Are you American?How long did you live in Russia ? Maybe you re Russian , so how long you stayed in United States?

moriel

Record Breaker
Are you American?How long did you live in Russia ? Maybe you re Russian , so how long you stayed in United States?

Well, I´m Russian, and I have family both in USA (my aunt married an american) and in Russia.
I keep very close contact with all them.

Also, i´m pretty sure a person doesnt need to live in USA to have knowledge of things like lobbying, which is basically what in many countries is called corruption, but legalized. One doesnt need to live in USA to know that there is something weird when a father is elected president, then his son is elected president. Or when a man is elected president, and then his wife almost is.

Is crazydreamer Russian to judge?

Purv

Match Penalty
Well, I´m Russian, and I have family both in USA (my aunt married an american) and in Russia.
I keep very close contact with all them.

Also, i´m pretty sure a person doesnt need to live in USA to have knowledge of things like lobbying, which is basically what in many countries is called corruption, but legalized. One doesnt need to live in USA to know that there is something weird when a father is elected president, then his son is elected president. Or when a man is elected president, and then his wife almost is.

Is crazydreamer Russian to judge?

Well I hoped I would to talk with somebody more objective. Russian says that always the worst corruption is in US , America is the worst country, pure evil, Russia is not so bad. after all Americans will say more or less the same

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We should stay on topic here. It’s a good thing Adelina wasn’t involved as most of us suspected all along.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

That's very irresponsible to name names like that with so little direct evidence.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's very irresponsible to name names like that with so little direct evidence.

He has been credited by many as the man who launched WADA’s ridiculously mishandled meldonium banning. It all stated in a conference in Phoenix and in about one year was banned. As an American I’m not impressed and think we should do better!!

He’s been very distracting to the process of getting to the truth with his constant rhetoric.

moriel

Record Breaker
Well I hoped I would to talk with somebody more objective. Russian says that always the worst corruption is in US , America is the worst country, pure evil, Russia is not so bad. after all Americans will say more or less the same

Ummm yeah, i hoped to talk with somebody more objective who at least reads the thread. Unfortunately, that is not the case =(

Back to topic, happy for Adelina. I´m really curious to see if Travis Tygert will actually apologize.

Purv

Match Penalty
Ummm yeah, i hoped to talk with somebody more objective who at least reads the thread. Unfortunately, that is not the case =(

Back to topic, happy for Adelina. I´m really curious to see if Travis Tygert will actually apologize.

I DO read. Why you think i am less objective then for instance you?because i have no family in USA?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Any backlash regarding scoring should be directed at judges, never the skaters. It is so sad that a lot of people still can't seem to grasp this concept.

It's hard to imagine not seeing Russia at the 2018 Olympics; the competition would look really empty.

Exactly, all these skaters do is take the ice and let the chips fall where they fall. They have absolutely no power when it comes to the numbers they receive. As for the PED's.......We obviously don't know because we weren't there. I can say from experience that when you're an athlete, or performer, you go to the doctor when and where they tell you. Most of these athlete's are either driven to the doctor, or the doctor may come to the rink. My point is, I never questioned what was in a shot that was given to me by a doctor. The companies that I worked for, especially Coca Cola, had doctors, dentist, and optometrists set up before the tour began. If we had an injury while touring it was detrimental to the production and we received Cortisone shots several times.

I'm happy for Adelina and if this happens again, I hope they don't release the name of the athlete until the investigation is over. There was a cloud over her victory and this will put an end to this saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.