Sotnikova cleared of doping charge | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Sotnikova cleared of doping charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

moriel

Record Breaker
Ah yes, I forgot to mention Yulia Stepanova, same things apply to her.

To be completely honest, the biggest evidence against the Russian officials so far is their inaction. People expect Mr. Mutko and his team to bash those who accuse them with all possible means and to sue Mr. McLaren for defamation. I don't know if it's just their incompetence, or there are deeper reasons for this.

Actually, its pointless.
For example, they will sue. If they sue in Russia, you know what people will say, right?
if they sue in an international court, guess what will happen.

There is a russian saying "to prove one is not a camel", and i suppose this is one of those cases

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
I know, many Western jurisdictions are more than lenient to undisclosed sources, especially in politically charged cases; but the point is not to win the case, but to draw the world's attention to our arguments. Like oppositionists do.

All this case has been about politics from the very beginning, so we should act accordingly.

moriel

Record Breaker
I know, many Western jurisdictions are more than lenient to undisclosed sources, especially in politically charged cases; but the point is not to win the case, but to draw the world's attention to our arguments. Like oppositionists do.

All this case has been about politics from the very beginning, so we should act accordingly.

I think its pointless really, since they will just get mad and ban more russian athletes or whatever.
If anything, I would in their place, start a hunt for dopers regardless nationality, start a major outcry every time an athlete comes up with excuses such as "Frequent and passionate kissing" for doping, with a lot of fuss, complains to all possible instances and blablabla, request to test all the probes for scratchesat every competition, and if the request is denied, complain about organized doping at all possible media plataforms and so on. Complain nonstop about TUEs, bringing as proof of irregularities statistics of disease frequency in population (for example, i´m sure interesting things would happen if we compare the %, by country, of swimmers who have TUEs for asthma meds and the incidence of asthma in those countries, and overall endurance sports - and its debatable if the intensive training leads to asthma, or there is something shady going on), and whatever they can find really.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I have no doubt that doping is spread in most countries including Russia, but I'm yet to see any proof that the Russian government somehow supported it.

Governments do not allow proof of their actions, when they want something to be kept in the dark. They control the power. If we are lucky, then details slip out. Many details have here, I'm not sure what you are reading (or rather not reading) to think there is no proof.

The 2014 Olympics was used by Putin as a way to build the country's pride, while strengthening his own position. Why would he not he push for a doping program that would help to create better Russian results. What an easy way to keep public support on your side: you don't have to kill anyone (maybe just a couple people who cause trouble, but that's a usual occurrence for a tyrannical ruler) and more "star" athletes being created is a benefit to the Russian economy. Why should Putin care about the ethics behind forcing people to take performance enhancers, it's all a game and his culture does not care about these things, they care about showing dominance.

By any metric the issue of "steroids in sports" is trivial compared to everything else going on in the world. So yeah, when you are Putin then this is something you abuse. It's "free money" and governments who don't provide doping schemes for their top athletes are just "behind the curve", from this point of view.

Every shred of evidence could prove Adelina wasn't doping and you still wouldn't believe it.

Wrong. I specifically said it's not the fault of the athletes. They live under oppressive circumstances and have little choice but to do what they are told. It's not as if taking a performance enhancer harms the life of someone else in a heinous way, it isn't like the choice of joining the Nazi party or not. You can even look at it as part of "eating correctly" for an athlete. It's not your fault if other athletes haven't figured out the best diet to create peak performance.

As far as "evidence" goes, nobody will ever know the 100% truth. Some evidence will never exist, that's the whole point of the doping scheme. People were put in place to create clean test results for the doping athletes. There's no way of knowing if someone switched a sample at a lab or not, if they successfully did the job and switched in a sample that appears completely legit. If "every shred of evidence" proved Sotnikova was not doping then I would believe it, but what exactly is this "every shred of evidence" going to be?

Purv

Match Penalty
I NEVER said that celebrating the victory is arrogant. You misunderstood everything

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
The 2014 Olympics was used by Putin as a way to build the country's pride, while strengthening his own position.

And you really think that the best way to strengthen your own position is - ...to build your countrys pride...by finding the way to earn more gold medals for your country at Olympics...especially in figure skating :scratch3:

Everyone has had his or her chance to respond to the news item. Please remember that Golden Skate is a figure skating board, not an open mic for political disputes. The thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.