Sotnikova cleared of doping charge | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sotnikova cleared of doping charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Isn't it a difference between "dopping charges" and "doping investigation" and "doping suspicion"? I was not aware that Adelina was under a charge. :scratch2:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Back to topic, happy for Adelina. I´m really curious to see if Travis Tygert will actually apologize.

Yeah, right. That'll happen when hell freezes over.

Disgusting that it's taken so long. Disgusting that her name was dragged everywhere when they never had anything, merely a single, tiny, microscopic scratch that could have happened from the lid being closed too tightly.

Honestly, I hope she lawyers up and then destroys WADA/USADA dude/everyone she can in the courts for slander/defamation/libel (choose the most appropriate).

Grin

Medalist
I DO read. Why you think i am less objective then for instance you?because i have no family in USA?
Perhaps, because nearly 100% of your comments about Russia or Russian athletes are negaive?

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
Exactly, all these skaters do is take the ice and let the chips fall where they fall. They have absolutely no power when it comes to the numbers they receive. As for the PED's.......We obviously don't know because we weren't there. I can say from experience that when you're an athlete, or performer, you go to the doctor when and where they tell you. Most of these athlete's are either driven to the doctor, or the doctor may come to the rink. My point is, I never questioned what was in a shot that was given to me by a doctor. The companies that I worked for, especially Coca Cola, had doctors, dentist, and optometrists set up before the tour began. If we had an injury while touring it was detrimental to the production and we received Cortisone shots several times.

I'm happy for Adelina and if this happens again, I hope they don't release the name of the athlete until the investigation is over. There was a cloud over her victory and this will put an end to this saga.

True indeed. Even “normal” people who see their doctors won’t typically question their diagnosis & treatment.
If WADA et all want to keep the onus of responsibility on the athlete, they need to change treatment protocols, provide more information to athletes, offer them medical advocacy services or something similar...especially for the underaged athletes.

added

neither was i aware of it.

i knew about the Russian Track team, but i didn't know of any doping charge in figure skating .

the only one i knew of was carolina kostner's a while back that i think had something to do with her boyfriend. I am not sure.

i question my doctors and ask right away. I also like to know what medicines i am taking their side effects.

mrrice

Record Breaker
neither was i aware of it.

i knew about the Russian Track team, but i didn't know of any doping charge in figure skating .

the only one i knew of was carolina kostner's a while back that i think had something to do with her boyfriend. I am not sure.

i question my doctors and ask right away. I also like to know what medicines i am taking their side effects.

This is a very interesting quote.......Now that I'm older, the first question I would ask would be "What are the side effects?" I think I was maybe 20..... I remember VERY clearly saying nothing after I was given a shot in Russia. It was the producer who said "How long will it be before he can get back on stage?" That was only question that was asked by anyone. The good old days....:disapp:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Isn't it a difference between "dopping charges" and "doping investigation" and "doping suspicion"? I was not aware that Adelina was under a charge. :scratch2:

It's complicated. WADA Made several errors in the McLaren report and even released documents that showed athletes they identified by number only. Adelina was falsly linked to an ID and labeled as someone who had a bottle which the report alleges had scratch marks on it. As it turns out there was an error on WADA's end and the ID numbers and athletes were incorrectly identified in their own reports. Ugh......

Also just a few weeks back Tygert very publicly called out Adelina.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/20/sports/olympics/olympics-figure-skating-doping.html

“The problem is, it’s not being followed up on,” Tygart said. “There’s no evidence she’s [Adelina] been interviewed. There’s no evidence her coach has been talked to.”

Evgenia Medvedeva, already a two-time world skating champion at 17, would be Russia’s prohibitive favorite to win gold in South Korea. Has she faced regular drug screening? Tygart asked. How often?

He even questions Zhenia without a shred of evidence sighting absolutely nothing to indicate why. He doesn't even know if she's been tested. Come on guy!

The thing is it speaks to this mans influence. He raises a stink and almost two weeks later the IOC and WADA spring into action. It's frightening the way he influenced the Meldonium fiasco which still has zero medical evidnece of enhancing performance.

Purv

Match Penalty
Perhaps, because nearly 100% of your comments about Russia or Russian athletes are negaive?
If nearly 100% of russian athletes is Evgenia MEdviedeva so you re right :confused:
Yeah, nearly 100% of my comments about Russia or Russian athletes are negaive, nearly 100% of my comments about Canada and canadian athletes are negative, and almost 100% of my comments about France and french athletes are postive, I will end up in hell :)

Purv

Match Penalty
It's complicated. WADA Made several errors in the McLaren report and even released documents that showed athletes they identified by number only. Adelina was falsly linked to an ID and labeled as someone who had a bottle which the report alleges had scratch marks on it. As it turns out there was an error on WADA's end and the ID numbers and athletes were incorrectly identified in their own reports. Ugh......

Also just a few weeks back Tygert very publicly called out Adelina.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/20/sports/olympics/olympics-figure-skating-doping.html

He even questions Zhenia without a shred of evidence sighting absolutely nothing to indicate why. He doesn't even know if she's been tested. Come on guy!

The thing is it speaks to this mans influence. He raises a stink and almost two weeks later the IOC and WADA spring into action. It's frightening the way he influenced the Meldonium fiasco which still has zero medical evidnece of enhancing performance.

I think that guy refers to the one thing, Idont remember good but I read one article some time ago that some rusians athletes(including some figure skaters, 3 or 4 ) were protected by federation and not being tested internationally often enough. They rejected being testing, often agressively or something like that. THere were NO names so I dont want to recall anyone

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think that guy refers to the one thing, Idont remember good but I read one article some time ago that some rusians athletes(including some figure skaters, 3 or 4 ) were protected by federation and not being tested internationally often enough. They rejected being testing, often agressively or something like that. THere were NO names so I dont want to recall anyone

Please link the report. I'd be interested to read that.

thegreendestiny

On the Ice
And rightly so. Sotnikova will go down in history as that skater who skated her life and prevented someone their undeserved double gold. :clap:

Viiktoruu

On the Ice
My states of mind explained through GS smileys while reading this thread: :hap57: :roll9: :eek:topic: :dance2:

:scard8:

mrrice

Record Breaker

I think we're getting off track. I don't pretend to "Know" Russian athlete's but I did spend a summer dancing in St Petersburg. Other than the accents, cool buildings, and Borsct. It was just like any dance studio in Burbank, Ca. http://honestcooking.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/img_4345.jpg

We talked about our dreams and life experiences and the subject of PED's never came up!!! Now that Adelina has been cleared, I hope this fades away and we all move on. I know that skaters who medal have to take POST event urine tests. That's why I can't believe this wasn't detected within a week of the games.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I am happy for her that the investigation is over. That said, investigating athletes when there is suspicion of doping (not saying it was or wasn't for Adelina) is important for the integrity of sport. However I don't think they should be able to release someone's name unless that person is being formally reprimanded when it is beyond doubt they used an illegal substance. Otherwise you just unfairly damage their reputation.

We all have opinions about Sochi. It's basically the Michelle vs. Tara of IJS. I know I have strong opinions. But directing anger and virulence against Adelina, who by the way was 17. Nothing but mean spirited. Adults armchair condemning a teenager is not impressive. I'm not sure how many of you spend time around 17 year olds but I'm going to assume most people wouldn't say what they do about Adelina to a teenager they know. Be angry at the system, be angry at the judging, but don't be angry at the skater. All they did was skate.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I am happy for her that the investigation is over. That said, investigating athletes when there is suspicion of doping (not saying it was or wasn't for Adelina) is important for the integrity of sport. However I don't think they should be able to release someone's name unless that person is being formally reprimanded when it is beyond doubt they used an illegal substance. Otherwise you just unfairly damage their reputation.

That's how the rules are written, the problem is that people's names almost always leak out in advance.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice

We all have opinions about Sochi. It's basically the Michelle vs. Tara of IJS. I know I have strong opinions. But directing anger and virulence against Adelina, who by the way was 17. Nothing but mean spirited. Adults armchair condemning a teenager is not impressive. I'm not sure how many of you spend time around 17 year olds but I'm going to assume most people wouldn't say what they do about Adelina to a teenager they know. Be angry at the system, be angry at the judging, but don't be angry at the skater. All they did was skate.

Applause for this comment.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I am imagining that some fans of a particular skater may have been secretly disappointed to hear this. Although I disagree with the judging decisions that crowned Adelina Olympic champion, it would have been a ridiculous way for another skater to become champion. Can anyone say, hand on heart that even if the outcome had ultimately resulted in a different Olympic champ, that they would have been happy to see it happen in such a manner?

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
This is redemption for Adelina. I swear if I were her I think I'd sue someone for tarnishing my name like that - maybe start with Tygert!

moriel

Record Breaker
That's how the rules are written, the problem is that people's names almost always leak out in advance.

Then the leaks should be investigated and punished.
I wonder if the skaters whose names leaked have any possibility to sue?

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I'm happy for her. She still receives a disgusting amount of insults and similar on her social media when she definitely didn't produce her own score. Glad her name was cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.