Sotnikova cleared of doping charge | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Sotnikova cleared of doping charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
So if Adelina was caught doping....would that mean Yu Na gets the Gold, Carolina gets the Silver and Gracie gets the Bronze? I wonder if that would cheer Gracie up having a Individual Bronze Medal and hopefully lift her spirits and get out of all the issues she is currently having. But these issues are probably much deeper problem then what we actually know. But I guess it doesn't matter since Adelina is cleared.

This is probably what would have happened. In Olympic Gymnastics, when a medal was revoked because of a doping or age violation, the medal was passed down to the next finisher.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
This is probably what would have happened. In Olympic Gymnastics, when a medal was revoked because of a doping or age violation, the medal was passed down to the next finisher.

But it isn't always the case. I remember some medals from London 2012 track and field weren't reallocated

Purv

Match Penalty
This is not nasty rumors just my observations, her behaviour FOR ME was inpropriate and I find that rather something like
"being full of herself"I could never imagine behave like that sitting next to her rivals who were 2nd and 3rd on press conference

This.

A skater celebrating a victory does not make the skater arrogant.

This is not about celebrating a victory, but what you say. showing little respect to the rivals would be good and yes, she wouldnt look arrogant. But lets end it, it doesnt matter know.

moriel

Record Breaker
This is not nasty rumors just my observations, her behaviour FOR ME was inpropriate and I find that rather something like
"being full of herself"I could never imagine behave like that sitting next to her rivals who were 2nd and 3rd on press conference

This is not about celebrating a victory, but what you say. showing little respect to the rivals would be good and yes, she wouldnt look arrogant. But lets end it, it doesnt matter know.

Again, proofs please. Examples. Links. Anything.

Going back to doping discussion, I still wonder if she got / will get an apology from Travis Tygert. I mean, USADA has those "frequent and passionate kissing" things in USA (worth a read, its hilarious: https://www.usada.org/wp-content/uploads/07_12_17-Gil-Roberts-AAA-FinalAward.pdf), so they surely were a bit harsh on Adelina.

Eclair

Medalist

Ender

Match Penalty
I was not a fan of her but there is no doubt she’s still the most all-rounded talent among Russian ladies even now. Her jumps were huge, her skating was fast, her transitions were great, the spin and flexibility no doubt, and she’s a good performer.
All the best for her life.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wish people would quit getting so fired up over a skater who celebrates their victory with cheers and excitement and fist pumps and shrieks.

Plus let's not forget that Adelina, along with Sarah and Tara, were 15-17 years old when they won the Olympics. Did you actually expect their reactions to their winning scores would be a replica of how the Queen of England reacts when she has another school or street or monument named after her? Hmm hmm, jolly good show, two finger quiet clapping, small forced smile... yeesh.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wish people would quit getting so fired up over a skater who celebrates their victory with cheers and excitement and fist pumps and shrieks.

Plus let's not forget that Adelina, along with Sarah and Tara, were 15-17 years old when they won the Olympics. Did you actually expect their reactions to their winning scores would be a replica of how the Queen of England reacts when she has another school or street or monument named after her? Hmm hmm, jolly good show, two finger quiet clapping, small forced smile... yeesh.

According to a certain subset of people, Adelina was supposed to go down on her knees, kiss Yuna's boots, and then tearfully renounce all claim to the title and place the medal around Yuna's neck...

Tulipstar

Medalist

Agreed. Strangely enough, I never see these kind of comments when a male athlete celebrates a victory.

moriel

Record Breaker
Agreed. Strangely enough, I never see these kind of comments when a male athlete celebrates a victory.

People are weirdly biased towards ladies. I swear i've seen someone around here calling Evgenia an arrogant show-off for simply skating her program.
And honestly, at NHK we have seen plenty on 25+ year old guys (So you cannot even excuse it by saying they ware teenagers) celebrating their victory, and still nobody called them arrogant or complained that Voronov forgot to acknowledge he only won because Yuzuru was injured in his interview after the FS, and didnt claim that crying and sending his medal to Yuzuru was the only classy way for Voronov to do.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Here's an accurate representation of Adelina celebrating her gold medal.

:rofl::rolleye::rolleye:

If the eye rolling emojis didn't make it clear enough: I say this in jest.

Somehow I wound up on a collaboration video of "greatest hockey goal scoring celebrations" a few hours ago, and I was immediately reminded of this thread.

Edited to add: I also need to say that was an extremely lame goal, not exactly worthy of that level of celebration. The goalie was up at the blue line! Chill out, Teemu. :laugh:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Some people who dope are not caught. If everyone was always caught doing it, then nobody would. Only Sotnikova and the people who handled her will ever know the truth. Russia's institution of sports doping is well known at this point and you need to understand that the athletes themselves might even be afraid for their lives if they refuse to participate. Nearly every Russian athlete at the 2014 Olympics was likely taking something, it was mandated by the government itself. To me it's pointless to blame any individual athlete, they simply lived under the corruption and didn't have power to stop it. Those who are "cleared" or not only comes down to how well the samples for each individual athlete were swapped out by the people who were put in charge of handling the operation.

moriel

Record Breaker
Some people who dope are not caught. If everyone was always caught doing it, then nobody would. Only Sotnikova and the people who handled her will ever know the truth. Russia's institution of sports doping is well known at this point and you need to understand that the athletes themselves might even be afraid for their lives if they refuse to participate. Nearly every Russian athlete at the 2014 Olympics was likely taking something, it was mandated by the government itself. To me it's pointless to blame any individual athlete, they simply lived under the corruption and didn't have power to stop it. Those who are "cleared" or not only comes down to how well the samples for each individual athlete were swapped out by the people who were put in charge of handling the operation.

Many of this sounds like stuff that lacks proof.
Even the government thing kinda lacks evidence, honestly.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Every shred of evidence could prove Adelina wasn't doping and you still wouldn't believe it.

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
Russia's institution of sports doping is well known at this point and you need to understand that the athletes themselves might even be afraid for their lives if they refuse to participate.

All we have is the evidence of Rodchenkov who accused Russia as a part of the bargain in the investigation against him. Considering the whole anti-Russian hysteria, God knows what were the actual conditions of this bargain and what parts of his evidence are true.

We also know that after 2 years in Switzerland, the Russian test tubes appeared to have scratches. Nobody knows if these scratches were there in 2014.

I have no doubt that doping is spread in most countries including Russia, but I'm yet to see any proof that the Russian government somehow supported it.

moriel

Record Breaker
All we have is the evidence of Rodchenkov who accused Russia as a part of the bargain in the investigation against him. Considering the whole anti-Russian hysteria, God knows what were the actual conditions of this bargain and what parts of his evidence are true.

We also know that after 2 years in Switzerland, the Russian test tubes appeared to have scratches. Nobody knows if these scratches were there in 2014.

I have no doubt that doping is spread in most countries including Russia, but I'm yet to see any proof that the Russian government somehow supported it.

Pretty much all people who provided evidence have some clear personal interest in doing so, also.
See Stepanova, for instance, and how she expected to compete in Rio and how she was angry when, suddenly, she was not allowed to compete (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/25/yuliya-stepanova-whistleblower-rio-olympics-ban-ioc). Based on those letters and stuff, I would actually dismiss most of her accusations agains russian gov. because it is quite clear that she expected to go to the Olympic games (and she had no chance of going there otherwise) as an exchange for her whistleblowing. So like, very strong personal interest there and not sure how reliable is that.

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
Ah yes, I forgot to mention Yulia Stepanova, same things apply to her.

To be completely honest, the biggest evidence against the Russian officials so far is their inaction. People expect Mr. Mutko and his team to bash those who accuse them with all possible means and to sue Mr. McLaren for defamation. I don't know if it's just their incompetence, or there are deeper reasons for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.