Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 29 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79
Results 1,171 to 1,176 of 1176

Thread: 2017 GP NHK Ladies FS

Rinkside

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Ice View Post
    +3 GOE for her layback is ridiculous. If you want to see a layback/Biellman that deserves a +3, look at Mirai or Karen (and perhaps Yulia).

Karen's layback: https://youtu.be/NixhPhyYW4w?t=3m15s

Medvedeva's catch foot: https://youtu.be/p34SMcbhaVk?t=43s

Notice how Med's spinning leg is bent during her catch foot spin. She doesn't hold the layback position at all, whereas Karen has a much greater arch on her layback and holds it for a long time. It is a lot like Sasha Cohen's.

Yes, Med's spin does increase in speed when she pulls it up but her spinning leg position is questionable and the only arguably "difficult" position is the catchfoot. Meanwhile Karen's spin has 2 exquisite position (both layback + Biellmann).
    Well, look, I was being a bit ironic with the comment you quoted as I was imitating a comment in which a user stated their own opinion as if that was somehow a scientific fact

As for your arguments, I agree and Karen's spin from that video is outstanding and a clear +3. However, comparison between skaters is not how the scores are done. If Evgenia completes the criteria for 6 bullets and did no mistakes to have her GOE lowered, then she deserves a +3 GOE, that's it. Judging doesn't work by comparing a skater to another skater's element on a different competition. That's also why I think the term world record makes no sense (and obviously why ISU never uses it) and am sorry Zhenya gained so many haters at the moment she "broke" Yuna's records, as they were set at a time when the programs had different elements and GOE scores were different (even though they were higher).

As for Evgenia's spin that you posted, I think bullets 1, 2, 3, 7 and 8 could apply, so a GOE between +2 and +3 would be appropriate. As for the difficult positions you argue - they don't count into the GOE of the spin, but its level of difficulty, right? Those are a different set of rules. Do you think it wasn't level 4?

Rinkside

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moriel View Post
    Could you please post a full set of rules for the spins, including negative and positive GOE, and what bullet points are more important and so on?
    I failed to find it, and it would be a very useful reference.
    Here they are: http://www.isu.org/docman-documents-...tion-2089/file

Note that the negative GOE from the tables on pages 14 and 15 is not automatically the overall GOE for the element (unless it's underlined there), but that is the number of GOE points to be deducted when the positive GOE bullets are counted. So for example if a skater performs a jump that would gain GOE +2 but had a wrong edge takeoff - its GOE should be -1 or 0, and not -3 or -2.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Viiktoruu View Post
    Here they are: http://www.isu.org/docman-documents-...tion-2089/file

Note that the negative GOE from the tables on pages 14 and 15 is not automatically the overall GOE for the element (unless it's underlined there), but that is the number of GOE points to be deducted when the positive GOE bullets are counted. So for example if a skater performs a jump that would gain GOE +2 but had a wrong edge takeoff - its GOE should be -1 or 0, and not -3 or -2.
    Do you think that judges really look for that edge when assessing GOE or just go with whatever tech call was at the end?

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    So yes, Mao is often underscored in PCS. In TES, she can do all the triples, but her URs and GOE will hold her back.

I've never seen Mao do a clean lutz and she often had problems with the salchow as well. Her underrotation was often atrocious.
    As for her PCS, I mostly thought she was scored correctly or sometimes even too highly scored except for the 2014 Olympics where she got unlucky with the skate order.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by yume View Post
    True. But my point was that with that technical content, Kostner would score much much higher at NHK. She got 62 TES with easier elements and just 4 triples landed. With her big GOEs, a 8 triples program would give her cosmic TES. Not sure that she would get calls, she doesn't have the reputation to UR her jumps after all.
    At the Sochi Olympics, Kostner skated a clean 7 triples LP and still got much lower TES than Mao who got 2 URs call and an edge call on the lutz. Kostner's maximum TES is going to be around 71 or 72. Her PCS when clean with 7 triples should be as close to 80 as possible.
    She doesn't have the reputation to UR her jumps because she doesn't UR her jumps.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes she never has UR her jumps.

Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 29 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79