Veteran Voronov takes first Grand Prix gold | Golden Skate

Veteran Voronov takes first Grand Prix gold

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The men’s event at 2017 NHK Trophy was marred by the sudden withdrawal of crowd-favorite Yuzuru Hanyu, who took a bad fall during practice before the short program. The event culminated with the three most experienced skaters in the competition on the podium: Russia’s Sergei Voronov, USA’s Adam Rippon, and Israel’s Alexei Bychenko, respectively.

More...

“I have done everything I can,” said Voronov, who won the silver medal at the NHK Trophy in 2014. “In today’s performance, I put everything out there. In my training, there’s been ups and downs. There are hardly any mistakes, so I am very satisfied. Russians don’t take pride in how we win, what matters is that we won. In Russian complex, a veteran is usually someone who is well-respected. In my career, this is a moment where I am flourishing. I believe that loving the sport is the secret.”
“There’s room for improvement,” Rippon said. “I am really happy, been training really well. The time away has showed me what I really love about skating. My main focus is to clean up what wasn’t great here. I am just taking it one day at a time, focused and on the right path.”
“It was not my best today, I made a few big mistakes, like popping a jump, and I almost fell on another jump,” acknowledge the skater who formerly competed for Ukraine. “But I started the season late and for my second competition, it was not so bad. It was a good experience and we know what we have to work on.”
“I will figure out the ways to grow from this experience,” Brown said. “I was a little jittery today. I am normally more comfortable on the ice, much more solid. I don’t know why I missed a few elements, but I tried to tack on a few. I tried my best and gave it my all.”

What are your thoughts on the men's performance? Here is wishing Hanyu a quick recovery after a horrible fall!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I concur with Sam! Such a magical competition! It was so great seeing the 'old guys' doing so well, in particular Sergei, who finally got a gold medal in a GP event with a brilliant Free Program! His Gala Exhibition was really different from what I've expected from him! :luv17:

Aside from the winners I really enjoyed Hiroaki's free skate (I didn't actually get a chance to see the short programs yet), his jumps weren't there, but man he sold that program, the costume was glorious and he has the "Figaro" spin.

Speaking of spins, Deniss's are always worth it! I hope he gets more stable jumps and really wows us!

moriel

Record Breaker
Its actually very refreshing to see some different folks winning for once
Dunno why people complain about GPF, I think it will be really fun without some of the top competitors. Some different faces for once.

Actually makes me want 2 GPFs. One for the regular folks, and one for the next 6 in the ranks.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Dunno why people complain about GPF, I think it will be really fun without some of the top competitors. Some different faces for once.

Actually makes me want 2 GPFs. One for the regular folks, and one for the next 6 in the ranks.

I agree, but Sergei has actually been to GPF and medaled before. Adam's been there too although he didn't do great. But last year's GPF was a pretty hot mess all around even for those so-called top men, wasn't it? I blocked it out of memory for the most part :laugh: I don't like this idea that there is just a small group of elites who "deserve" to be there and nobody else need apply. Everyone is competing on what is supposed to be equal ground and there is bound to be some shakeups in the standings if judging is done correctly, not based on reputation only.

sc8

On the Ice

I agree...no Hanyu, Chan, or Fernandez will make for an oddly interesting event and open the door in a huge way for some new GPF medalists. We’ve seen two Russian men do very well this season, but Shomo can set himself up as GPF favorite with win in France.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Veteran Voronov, that sounds pretty cool! And he looks so good! Hope to see him make the final! :agree:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Veteran Voronov, that sounds pretty cool! And he looks so good! Hope to see him make the final! :agree:

I agree and I love to see someone who's been through some tough times come back and be spectacular. I saw an interview of his and he was as cute as can be. I hope this marks a turn around and I hope he makes the Olympic Team. I have to wonder if the Russian Men feel the pressure to keep up with their history of Olympic Champions. Plushy, Yags, Kulik, and Alexei Urmanov. That has to put extra pressure on them. I imagine that Med feels the pressure of defending Adelina's Title.

Here's his interview followed by the victory ceremony at NHK.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg7ai_EspeE

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I've loved Sergei since I saw his Exogenesis long last year, it made me see another side of his skating. I am so happy for him.

The Russian men are really bringing it this year.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Congrats Sergei!! Always have a soft spot for him since I first sae him. I always like "veterans" coming back and teach young people a lesson.:cool:

Ikr? I followed and watched the WTA Tour final and the Elite trophy and was wondering the exact same! Why can't we have a similar competition for 7th rank to 12th rank skaters? Then I am starting to think about the scheduling of the events. GPF is in early/mid December, some Nationals are in late December. It is possible to squeeze in one more competition right between them, but are the skaters willing to go there one week before Nationals? As for the venue, we don't even need to think do we? Just put everything in Japan and we can ensure a full house.

Celine

On the Ice
Congratulations to Sergei! He has so often been on the receiving end of difficult decisions which did not go his way (Sochi 2014 Olympic team selection). It's wonderful to see him win on the Grand Prix. That NHK trophies (literally, that beautiful crystal trophy) is well earned!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was thrilled with Voronov's two performances. A quad in a short and two in a long! He did good at his two CS events as well. The question is, can he stay consistent and deliver at Skate America?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I had a good feeling about Sergei after his Minsk challenger. Glad to get affirmation of that! I've always appreciate his presence in his the sport -- his commitment to his programs and his style is awesome. Looking forward to seeing him at SkAm!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
His win is inspirational. I'm so happy for him, and I'm hoping he can replicate his performance at his next GP and at the GPF as well!

I agree...no Hanyu, Chan, or Fernandez will make for an oddly interesting event and open the door in a huge way for some new GPF medalists. We’ve seen two Russian men do very well this season, but Shomo can set himself up as GPF favorite with win in France.

Except that in Hanyu's case, it was because of injury that he was forced to withdraw. That's a totally different situation. :no:

Having said that, still a BIG congratulations to Sergei Voronov for his two clean performances and his first GP title. I truly enjoyed his programs, especially the free. To me, he's been overlooked for most of his career and it would make me really happy to see him make the GPF and most especially, the Russian Olympic team. :yahoo:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Congratulations Sergei, a little lucky that Hanyu WD but still he did his best and i like the programs this season.

Now will the Rusfed give him a spot at the Olympics if he qualifies for GPF?

Because yes he did great here but he has only two quads, and if i remember correctly this year at RN there will be a bonus for the guys who attempt multiple quads (or it was just at Russian Test Skates, or just a rumor, let me know)

Plus similar to Menshov, he was often overlooked in the past.

For me personally, i'll take Voronov anyday over Samarin and his terrible programs, or Aliev who isn't at his top shape and he doesn't have the stamina to skate a 3 quads FP.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Sergei for his 2 wonderful performances @ NHK Trophy. :hap10: I hope he skates great @ Skate America!

viennaskater

Medalist
For me personally, i'll take Voronov anyday over Samarin and his terrible programs, or Aliev who isn't at his top shape and he doesn't have the stamina to skate a 3 quads FP.

I would take any of them over Kovtun, whose programs and music choices are awful in my opinion, also he is too inconsistent.

I was absolutely spellbound by Sergei's LP and almost had tears in my eyes! Great for him!