Understanding Virtue and Moir | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Understanding Virtue and Moir

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I have a really unpopular opinion, I'm told.
But I don't understand why V/M came back. They already had an OGM and another OM, they had world titles, etc. It's not like they had some other goal to reach in competition. I would understand staying around continuously but stopping and then coming back doesn't make sense. Are they ever going to give others their time to shine? It seems like as soon as you see Virtue/Moir in the entry lists, it ceases to become a competition.
I feel the same way about Carolina Kostner.

Maybe I'm too forward thinking.

Barb

Record Breaker
But I don't understand why V/M came back. They already had an OGM and another OM, they had world titles, etc. It's not like they had some other goal to reach in competition. I would understand staying around continuously but stopping and then coming back doesn't make sense. Are they ever going to give others their time to shine? It seems like as soon as you see Virtue/Moir in the entry lists, it ceases to become a competition.

Do you really think that? Have you seen the P/C scores? judges throw them 10´s and +3 like candies. It is clear that P/C are the favorites for judges.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Do you really think that? Have you seen the P/C scores? judges throw them 10´s and +3 like candies. It is clear that P/C are the favorites for judges.

Possibly. Didn't V/M win worlds by quite a margin?
And they obviously didn't pick GP assignments that contained the other, so it definitely seems like that right now.

Barb

Record Breaker
And they obviously didn't pick GP assignments that contained the other, so it definitely seems like that right now.

yes, but look at the last scores. Even if you consider other variables, it is clear that V/M are far from untouchable.

mrrice

Record Breaker

I'll take a crack at this one. I used to get asked all the time...."Why are you still touring?" I had already made a decent amount of money and most of the people I started with were coming to see our shows with their kids. My answer was very easy......I love it!! It was that simple. Why would I stop if I still have the ability and the love for what I'm doing. Maybe they have a goal to be 2 time Olympic Champions. Clearly, there's something inside them that drives them to keep going when they already have Hall Of Fame careers.

I'd actually love to hear them answer that question themselves. When Katarina Witt came back, she said she came back for the love of the sport. I think it was the same way with Brian Boitano. He won the battle of the Brian's and was already rich from touring. I think some people are born competitors and figure skating has a brief shelf life so they continue until they're satisfied. It's quite possible they're shooting for the history books.....

kiches

Final Flight

They came back because they want more gold medals, I don't think that's hard to understand. I would think that's why many who have already won gold medals continue to compete. Obviously the silver medal at the last Olympics was not the medal that they wanted, so they returned to try to get gold in Pyeongchang because they felt they have a good chance at it.

Also, I don't think it's any athlete's duty to allow their competitors shine, it's their competitors responsibility to try and outshine the rest of the competition. I find comments about how fans would like another athlete to win over others who have already won a title before to be extremely dismissive of an athlete's efforts. It's akin to telling someone who is the best at doing high level job to step aside and let someone else have the job because they've never held that position before. If anything this is very backwards thinking for a competitive athlete. If other athletes are intimidated by seeing Virtue/Moir or any other former gold medalists on the entry list then I would think they have other personal competitive issues they need to deal with other than returning gold medalists.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker

Really :scratch2: ? Because at worlds it showed the clear opposite, and I'm not talking about calls on levels. They could have hammered V/M on Scott's mistake and they got a 116 (only 1.7 below their PB), while some very clean teams minus P/C (C/L, B/S, Shibs, WeaPo) had trouble getting to 110.

And I still think the scores are meaningless until they go head to head, because last year the gap was even bigger for P/C and they choked under pressure. They didn't went clean once since TDF until actually Cup of China. I have to say I looked where both teams gain or lose GOEs... it's quite revealing because this time it's consistent.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
But I don't understand why V/M came back.

I do. First it's not always about winning, even though they don't hide the fact that they want OGM so badly (especially Scott who is on full competition mode :laugh:), but they actually ended up on a very bitter note last time. They thought their coach wasn't there enough for them, they didn't like their programs as much (the FD at least), they wanted to have a say in their creative process, they missed the fire of the competition too. They weren't happy with 2 excellent skates in Sochi and they must have thought that D/W beat them because they didn't make a mistake in 2 years, while they did a lot more.
They are young, only 28 and 30. Why wouldn't they want to continue, especially since they are still the favourites ? (I believe they still are honestly, they compete well under pressure, when the competition is directly here).
All the reasons listed above are parts of why D/W didn't return I think. Better finish on an Olympic Gold.

I think there is another reason why past champions decide to soldier on. Namely, here you are, the best in the world at what you do. Now you are faced with the prospect of becoming an architect or a stock broker for your second career. Fair enough, but you will never be as good an architect or as good a stock broker as you were an ice skater. I think sometimes this can be a daunting or even a depressing situation.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think there is another reason why past champions decide to soldier on. Namely, here you are, the best in the world at what you do. Now you are faced with the prospect of becoming an architect or a stock broker for your second career. Fair enough, but you will never be as good an architect or as good a stock broker as you were an ice skater. I think sometimes this can be a daunting or even a depressing situation.

I like this comment a lot. For me, it was that I had trained for years to be a dancer and vocalist. I did fairly well in school but, as sad as it sounds, I wasn't really good at anything else. I think it's very daunting for these athlete's to refocus their lives and go in a completely different direction. Skater's like Brian Orser and Plushy are fortunate to turn their talent into coaching but the transition for skaters who did not reach their status can be much harder. Nicole Bobek and Christopher Bowman are sad examples of how difficult it can be to go from the spotlight into a "normal" life.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

No wonder why they didn't ... both teams are seeded via being top 3 in the World Championships in their preceding season.

Virtue and Moir won the short dance. Papadakis and Cizeron won the free dance. V&M ended up the overall winner by two and a half points. A nice cushion by ice dance standards, but still in the realm of "anything can happen."

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
They came back because they didn't like the terms on which they would have left in 2014.

There is also the matter of other Canadian skaters. None of the Canadian medallists from Sochi retired. Kirsten & Dylan split but they're still skating with others. Tessa & Scott likely realized there was a possibility for another medal in the Team Event. (I thought Patrick did too but his current behaviour doesn't suggest so. I digress.)

The ISU is not against come backs. Before the 1994 Olympics they relaxed the rules to allow skaters who had gone pro to comeback. Torvill & Dean's bronze happened this way. Currently there is a comeback clause which allows skaters to return to compete at GPs.

The changed title of this post is better. :thumbsup:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

They've said several times that they missed the intensity and pressure of competing. They like doing shows, but they're clearly competitors at heart. They said when they thought about the 2018 Olympics, they couldn't imagine watching it from home. Scott has said they'll probably want to be at every Olympics for the rest of their lives because they love it so much (both the competition and the special atmosphere of the Games), but for now they can still be competitive and are in good shape physically, so why not do it? As for taking a break and continuing, it's not that weird to me. They thought they were done, they were burnt out, they weren't happy with their coaching situation, they wanted to explore other opportunities. So they stopped, then they realized they missed it, so they came back because they still could.

And it's not like the rest of their lives is totally on hold. Tessa is still doing her jewelry, Scott opened a skate shop in London with a family member. And most importantly, they've made it clear that they really love the team in Montreal and enjoy the training every day.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It just means you got a preference and Virtue and Moir don't fit it.

That about sums it up.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

We went through the same thing last quad with the Marlie vs Voir nonsense.

Frankly it's tedious.

You can't argue taste. Not every skater or skating team is going to appeal to you.

My Mom is a devout Irish Catholic and lives in an area filled with proselytizing born again Christians. My Mom is fine with them until they start criticizing her religion. Why? "If the only way you can say what you believe is better is by knocking everyone and everything that doesn't agree with you, it doesn't say much for your belief."

Mom is a very wise woman.

lyndichee

Medalist
My Mom is a devout Irish Catholic and lives in an area filled with proselytizing born again Christians. My Mom is fine with them until they start criticizing her religion. Why? "If the only way you can say what you believe is better is by knocking everyone and everything that doesn't agree with you, it doesn't say much for your belief."

Mom is a very wise woman.

Mom indeed is very wise. I think these kind of questions are as a result of cognitive dissonance because the poster pretty much knows the answer to the question. They just don't like them as much as other skaters and the reasoning they have provided is that they don't like V/M stylistically. Frankly, saying that you are knowledgeable and saying that you see nothing spectacular from V/M just shows how little knowledge they actually have about the sport. I'm actually quite surprised that this point isn't brought up more.

On a similar note, posters saying that they don't get why skaters come back after winning major prizes is almost like a masked statement that meant to insinuate that the skater coming back is greedy or selfish. They have achieved everything! Leave the medals to other people! These skaters have publicized why they chose to come back and "not getting it" seems like a indirect tactic to make their intentions look bad.

all that

Final Flight
I have watched skating for many many years - I am relatively knowledgeable. While I anticipate surprises during the Olympic season, I have also come to expect some "sure things" - and here is the issue.
I do not get Virtue and Moir. He appears to be perpetually scowling and angry - she does not have lithe -like quality of Gabrielle P. I watched their programs with and without music - I do not see or feel anything spectacular. Looking at their competition - Papadakis and Cizeron have a mystical quality, The Shibs have "like-ability" and Cappellini and Lanotte ooze warmth.

Explain what I am missing?

You're not missing anything. The judges feel exactly the same way about P/C and V/M, and if you've been watching this season, then you're already seeing this. V/M will not be able to win because they simply will not be able to score enough in the FD. This will be confirmed at GPF and the Olympics. Last year was just to set up a rivalry because if P/C had won again, then the momentum would actually be against them because people don't like teams that win all the time, and by that time, P/C would have won all the World titles for the entire quad. Now they look like underdogs, and everyone loves underdogs winning. The last laugh is that they aren't underdogs at all, but the best skaters in the history of ice dance.

ChanClan

On the Ice
You're not missing anything. The judges feel exactly the same way about P/C and V/M, and if you've been watching this season, then you're already seeing this. V/M will not be able to win because they simply will not be able to score enough in the FD. This will be confirmed at GPF and the Olympics. Last year was just to set up a rivalry because if P/C had won again, then the momentum would actually be against them because people don't like teams that win all the time, and by that time, P/C would have won all the World titles for the entire quad. Now they look like underdogs, and everyone loves underdogs winning. The last laugh is that they aren't underdogs at all, but the best skaters in the history of ice dance.

I'm not entirely sure that the writing is in stone yet. VM got lvl3's on their step sequences at SCI and a lvl3 and lvl4 at NHK and are still scoring 117. Once they've worked out how to get all lvl4's and don't make silly bobbles, they'll score higher. I think it's a little naive/ignorant to say that the winner of GPF and the Olympics has already been decided based on the scores, scores that are extremely close. Anything can happen, and it'll depend on who decides to show up and deliver two solid performances.