Fantasy Oly team event - Team USA | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Fantasy Oly team event - Team USA

karakaka

Rinkside
If Ryom/Kim of PRK is allowed to skate for Team Korea, it will guarantee to push down JPN's pair to last in the SP. So we may have Hanyu 10, Miyahara 7, Muramoto/Reed 4, Suzaki/Kihara 1 (only 22 points in the SP) and Team JPN not making the FS.

I hope that they don't use Ryom/Kim for the team event, since I'm sure Kim/Kam were really looking forward to it, and the North Korean pairs will get the individual event. :(

What would be equally bad for Japan though would be if Germany sits S/M, since SK/K could definitely beat their B-team.

karakaka

Rinkside
USA ladies have to hope that France and China make the free skate rather than Italy and Japan. That way Mirai can do the SP and hope that by landing the triple Axel she can get a decent placementt, while reliable Bradie can do the LP and at least not give anything away.

China and Japan are the biggest threats for bronze, not Italy. Italy has a chance at qualifying for the free, but won't be able to upset for bronze unless other countries make major mistakes.

Let's say that the US uses Nathan+Adam, Mirai+Bradie, SK/K, Shibs. I would guess their total points would be:

Short (9+6+4+8=27) + Free (6+7+7+9=29) = 56

To beat that, Japan needs M/R to beat W/L in both segments, and for Suzaki/Kihara to beat one of Kim/Kam or C/K (who looked pretty shaky at Europeans) in the short. They also need their total points in ladies to be at least 16.

Short (10+7+2+5=24) + Free (10+9+6+7=32) = 56, but Japan wins the tiebreaker.

China would need W/L to beat M/R in both segments, and for Xiangning Li to do well -- she could finish as high as 6th in the short, but potentially as low as 9th, just depending on who shows up on the day. But 6th would help them a lot. Total pairs points would have to be 18, and men's points would have to be 15 or more (possible if Boyang is 3rd in the short and whoever skates the free at least finishes above Adam).

Short (8+5+10+5=28) + Free (7+6+8+7=28) = 56, but China wins the tiebreaker.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Karen may have higher scoring potential than Bradie but Mirai has higher scoring potential than Karen. A Bradie-Mirai combination makes the most sense to me.

Why does Bradie make sense when she is the lowest scoring potential?

Also, personally I don't think Mirai should have a higher scoring potential than Karen in the SP. The 5 points that Mirai can gain with her Triple Axel should be lost on PCS, if those were actually getting scored accurately. Karen is better in absolutely every PCS category at her best, by a significant margin, her program can be magical (whereas Mirai's has always been relatively flat and empty even when clean) and her basic skating quality much superior. Then when you add in Karen's harder jump combo and the higher score Karen should be getting for the footwork sequence (and Karen's spins exceed Mirai's a little too), that would push her ahead.

I'm pretty sure Japan and China will be in the free skate.

I'm not so sure there, France can get 1st place in the Dance SP and James/Cipres can place high in Pairs too. The singles skaters would only have to place 7th/8th at that point to put France in the top 5. Italy also has good chances too, they made the top 5 in 2014 with a dead last finish in the Men's SP and their guy this time around is stronger, while their Lady/Dance/Pair squad could net the same amount of points they got in 2014.

Japan should be very worried about not making the top 5 and China is an even bigger question mark to me, their placement in Ladies and Dance can be poor and Boyang could have a middling result in the Men's SP. Even if they place 1st in Pairs, that wouldn't be enough to carry everyone else.