Fantasy Oly team event - Team USA | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Fantasy Oly team event - Team USA

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Men: Nathan SP, Adam LP
Women: Bradie
Pairs: Our one team
Dance: Shibs and second team

I'd probably prefer Nathan to do both programs, but since he is a legitimate threat for an individual medal, he should probably only skate once in the team event to be fully rested for the individual competition. Bradie has the season best SP and LP, has the most time before her individual event, and isn't going to medal.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Men: Nathan SP, Adam LP (for drivingmissdaisy's reason as well)
Ladies: Bradie SP, Bradie FS
Pairs: SK/K SP, C/LD FS if that's allowed since we only qualified one team if not then just C/LD
Dance: ShibSibs SD, ShibSibs FD

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I'd probably prefer Nathan to do both programs, but since he is a legitimate threat for an individual medal, he should probably only skate once in the team event to be fully rested for the individual competition. Bradie has the season best SP and LP, has the most time before her individual event, and isn't going to medal.

Basically agree with all of this.

Men: Nathan SP, Adam LP (for drivingmissdaisy's reason as well)
Ladies: Bradie SP, Bradie FS
Pairs: SK/K SP, C/LD FS if that's allowed since we only qualified one team if not then just C/LD
Dance: ShibSibs SD, ShibSibs FD

They'll only be able to use the one pairs team, which would be the same as that competes in the individual.
I'm curious about your choice of C/LD. Is it just because you like them? Just because so far their scores are significantly below SK/K.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States

I had just thought about this exact scenario! Thanks for saving me the typing time!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Men: Nathan SP, U.S. Nationals No. 2 FS (The free skate scores have been comparable among those not named Nathan -- 176-177 range, with Adam having the highest by a hair. Adam has the highest average, so there's a case for him to be the one, but again, it depends on who finishes where at Nationals)
Ladies: Bradie (highest scoring lady at hte moment)
Pairs: Knierms (since they're the only ones there)
Dance: Shibs SD, Hubbell/Donohue FD (Shibs by far has the highest SD score, Hubbell and Donahue has had a respectable FD score, would be nice for two dance pairs to medal in the team event)

Last edited:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Basically agree with all of this.

They'll only be able to use the one pairs team, which would be the same as that competes in the individual.
I'm curious about your choice of C/LD. Is it just because you like them? Just because so far their scores are significantly below SK/K.

Oh okay.
I didn't realize how far below their scores were. I do like them though and I wish we had two slots so that they could go :(

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Men: Nathan SP, U.S. Nationals No. 2 FS (The free skate scores have been comparable among those not named Nathan -- 176-177 range, with Adam having the highest by a hair. Adam has the highest average, so there's a case for him to be the one, but again, it depends on who finishes where at Nationals)
Ladies: Bradie (highest scoring lady at hte moment)
Pairs: Knierms (since they're the only ones there)
Dance: Shibs SD, Hubbell/Donohue FD (Shibs by far has the highest SD score, Hubbell and Donahue has had a respectable FD score, would be nice for two dance pairs to medal in the team event)

Exactly the way I see it. At this moment, anyway.

Echo on the other contributor's post on Bradie. She has REALLY caught me by surprise. Good for her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Funny how now all of a sudden people want Tennell to do both segments in ladies

I need to revise my earlier post but I’ll wait until all the international events have concluded. The biggest concern in my opinion now is Wagner’s health.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh okay.
I didn't realize how far below their scores were. I do like them though and I wish we had two slots so that they could go :(

They haven't scored that high, that's for sure. But they're the only US team I'm even half-way interested in. I think they are really elegant.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Funny how now all of a sudden people want Tennell to do both segments in ladies

I need to revise my earlier post but I’ll wait until all the international events have concluded. The biggest concern in my opinion now is Wagner’s health.

I always felt like one lady would need to skate both events in the Team Event. I just didn't know it would be her... never imagined it.

But scores don't lie.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Bradie's also landed more 3-3s and 2A-3Ts than probably all the rest of the ladies combined. :slink:

(In case you're wondering, we're talking 8 3Z-3Ts in her two summer comps, Senior B and SkAm and 4 2A-3Ts (in the second half).

Last edited:
As far as fantasy U.S.A. olympic team,

I honestly wouldn't know who to put on it.

Nathan probably for short

any of the other guys for long, I wouldn't want nathan to do both.

For the ladies.

That is hard.
Bradie, 1st comes to mind, for sp/lp
the ladies have been inconsistent so i don't know, karen, mariah, ashley, mirai, emma ma-tessa anyone actually-
it went two ashley-sp/bradie for lp

dance it depends 2-1
shibs for both or 1 sd. h/d or c/b for long

pairs only one option
k/k for both

the reason is nathan, shibs, have a decent shot at an individual medal. for me both have a good shot ogm-yes p/k & v/m is great but i think shibs underscored all year.
h/d c/b both have outside chances at medal
bradie if makes it is a dark horse for a medal but can realistically win Osm/obm
ashley can also.

mirai, mariah, karen can if skate clean, not nervous.
if u.s. wants to get a skater experience
than depends on who 3 ladies go- is it one of the veterans of mirai, ashley, mariah, karen,
upcomers like bradie, tessa, emma, starr, depends on skate at nationals even caroline zhang , angela wang if skate well.

it depends on what the U.S. wants out the team event. Yes they want to medal but so does, japan, canada, russia, italy, china, germany have stronger teams this olympic season,
So it depends of U.S. Federation in regards to team event.

I honestly don't have a clue, my opinion -
so i don't know.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bradie's also landed more 3-3s and 2A-3Ts than probably all the rest of the ladies combined. :slink:

(In case you're wondering, we're talking 8 3Z-3Ts in her two summer comps, Senior B and SkAm and 4 2A-3Ts (in the second half).

Well, well, well. Mrs P bring the data, one more time.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Here are my pick for Team USA Team Figure Skating Event:

Men - Chen SP, Rippon LP. Chen can place high in the SP and get plenty of rest for the LP. Rippon can do well in the LP because he has more opportunity to compete with just triples, as some of the other men going for quads can have a tough time landing all the content in the LP.

Dance - Shibs SD, Chock/Bates FD. It's tough leaving the National champs off, but at least these two teams won the segments at Nationals. Whatever dance team(s) are not chosen will be the most deserving of Team USA to miss the event.

Women - Tennell. I don't think she has lost even a competition segment to another US skater this season.

Pairs - Knierims.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In my earlier submission, I had split the dance team duties. Now I'm not so sure.

I'm leaning this way for my fantasy team:

Men: Nathan SP, and whoever is practicing better for LP between Vincent and Adam.

Ladies: Bradie SP and Mirai LP

Pairs: The K's

Dance: H/D

This revision differs from my first go, because I'd had the first US Lady skate both and the dancers split.

To me, Nathan is the key. If the goal is to do as well as possible in the team event, then the advantage to Nathan doing both segments is that he can beat both Kolyada and Chan, the two biggest rivals of the U.S., aswell as Jin and Fernandez in the SP. I am not sure how to evaluate what effect it might have on Nathan going into the individuals, though. It could possibly turn out OK -- or not.

I would go with Mirai in the SP and Bradie in the long. Mirai could score well if she hits her triple Axel in the short, and she will not have to worry about holding it together for 6 more jumping passes. Bradie has a better chance than Mirai to outlast Osmond in the long (assuming RUS is beyond reach in either segment). Then it will come down to Mirai beatring Kostner and JPN in the short. The triple Axel is the only hope, whereas Bradie's workmanlike consistency might not be enough.

Pairs. No choice. Middle of the pack finish for the Knierim's would be a satisfactory result.

Dance. Strategically, it doesn't matter. In this discipline whare there is little movement in terms of placements, any one or any two of the U.S. dance teams will be third in the SP and second in the LP (assuming V&M skate both for CAN.)

Can USA climb up to silver?

R.D.

Record Breaker
If the US wants its absolute best shot at a medal - splitting only dance seems to make the most sense. Chen would do both segments for men; Tennell both for ladies; Knierims both for pairs.

I guess you could gamble on Nagasu for either the ladies SP or FS with her 3A, but her consistency has been meddling at best. I would not even consider Karen Chen here (no offense intended).