Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Random team event like at YOG

  1. #1
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    14

    3 Not allowed!

    Random team event like at YOG

    hey guys i just remembered very cool competition from YOG where all skaters were divided into different groups. there wasn't a country status like boring team events with the same skaters from the same countries. there were mixed skaters from different countries. and top skaters there were in the same group with more weaker skaters it was really cool and challenging.

    just imagine fight between:

    group 1) ashley wagner, mikhail kolyada, markei/hotarek, h/d
    group 2) evgenia medvedeva, jason brown, james/cipres, c/l
    group 3) mirai nagasu, yuzuru hanyu, tarasova/morozov, parsons
    group 4) elena radionova, boyang jin, duhamel/radford, s/k

    etc etc

    are such competitions held or it was just test exception? and anyways which teams you'd like to see?

    that could be really amazing competition without many national bias. only supporting favorite teams and more fun

  2. #2
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    12,619
    Country: United States of America

    2 Not allowed!
    Go Group 2!!!!

  3. #3
    GS Supporter lavenderblossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    394
    Country: United Kingdom

    1 Not allowed!
    That would be tons of fun.
    As I recall Deniss pulled his team up from 8th to 3rd in 2016 It would be fun to see unexpected big moves like that.

  4. #4
    On the Ice Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    34,514
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Go group #4!

  5. #5
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    14

    2 Not allowed!
    how lazy you are guys!! i meant you can create your own teams. so, it was a test competition......

  6. #6
    GS Supporter lavenderblossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    394
    Country: United Kingdom

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ReasonOFF View Post
    how lazy you are guys!! i meant you can create your own teams. so, it was a test competition......
    Ah I didn't realise we could do that! I will have think of something... better go find a randomizer or else I will be very biased lol
    And it seems (going by Wikipedia) Mixed-NOC team events have been held at both summer and winter YOG since 2010, in many disciplines, but only there. Don't know if there are any plans to bring it to the actual Olys.

  7. #7
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,691
    Country: Italy

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ReasonOFF View Post
    hey guys i just remembered very cool competition from YOG where all skaters were divided into different groups. there wasn't a country status like boring team events with the same skaters from the same countries. there were mixed skaters from different countries. and top skaters there were in the same group with more weaker skaters it was really cool and challenging.

    just imagine fight between:

    group 1) ashley wagner, mikhail kolyada, markei/hotarek, h/d
    group 2) evgenia medvedeva, jason brown, james/cipres, c/l
    group 3) mirai nagasu, yuzuru hanyu, tarasova/morozov, parsons
    group 4) elena radionova, boyang jin, duhamel/radford, s/k

    etc etc

    are such competitions held or it was just test exception? and anyways which teams you'd like to see?

    that could be really amazing competition without many national bias. only supporting favorite teams and more fun
    To be honest it would be awesome.

    Especially if those groups comes out from a draw in a total unbiased way.

    Though it won't be as exciting for all the skaters: i remember Dave and Jenny from TSL said multiple times that there are a number of skaters who don't like competitions like WTT where you're competing just for fun.

    Plus there are a number of skaters who aren't as friendly for everyone, like D/R who often criticizes the russians (and maybe also P/G), would you imagine D/R being in the same team with B/S?

  8. #8
    Really? 🤦 Spirals for Miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    836
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    I'm using a randomizer:

    Wakaba Higuchi, Nathan Chen, M/H, H/D
    Alina Zagitova, Mikhail Kolyada, S/BA, V/M
    Mirai Nagasu, Yuzuru Hanyu, C/LD, S/B
    Carolina Kostner, Patrick Chan, S/H, P/C
    Polina Tsurskaya, Javier Fernandez, D/R, C/L
    Evgenia Medvedeva, Vincent Zhou, T/M, W/P
    Bradie Tennell, Jason Brown, S/B, S/B
    Mai Mihara, Keiji Tanaka, J/C, ShibsSibs
    Ashley Wagner, Shoma Uno, SK/K, B/S

  9. #9
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    14

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblossom View Post
    Ah I didn't realise we could do that! I will have think of something... better go find a randomizer or else I will be very biased lol
    And it seems (going by Wikipedia) Mixed-NOC team events have been held at both summer and winter YOG since 2010, in many disciplines, but only there. Don't know if there are any plans to bring it to the actual Olys.
    that's sad! they really should orginize something like this every year, this is really much interesting than japan open or team world cup

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirals for Miles View Post
    I'm using a randomizer:

    Wakaba Higuchi, Nathan Chen, M/H, H/D
    Alina Zagitova, Mikhail Kolyada, S/BA, V/M
    Mirai Nagasu, Yuzuru Hanyu, C/LD, S/B
    Carolina Kostner, Patrick Chan, S/H, P/C
    Polina Tsurskaya, Javier Fernandez, D/R, C/L
    Evgenia Medvedeva, Vincent Zhou, T/M, W/P
    Bradie Tennell, Jason Brown, S/B, S/B
    Mai Mihara, Keiji Tanaka, J/C, ShibsSibs
    Ashley Wagner, Shoma Uno, SK/K, B/S
    not bad! but really confusing with shorten names

  10. #10
    Really? 🤦 Spirals for Miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    836
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ReasonOFF View Post
    that's sad! they really should orginize something like this every year, this is really much interesting than japan open or team world cup



    not bad! but really confusing with shorten names
    Sorry! I was trying to copy the lists over quickly and I had to type everything out!

  11. #11
    Tripping on the Podium Tastetherainbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    858
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirals for Miles View Post
    Carolina Kostner, Patrick Chan, S/H, P/C
    Yes please! Best team!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •