Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Wagner prepared to conquer 'demons'

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Funny thing is that in the lead-up to Boston, it was known that Wagner had that hard fall in the show and talk among gossip circles was that she wasn’t back to 100% because of it. In fact, it came to a head during Worlds practices where Wagner tweeted out “I’m injury free!” to dispel reports that she was practicing light and not jumping. Anyway, I certainly couldn’t really tell anything was off watching her practice. So CLEARLY she didn’t want word getting out.
    _______
    I won’t knock her for stating her ambitions for Korea, even if I personally think it’s a *very* long shot (at this point). Better than the hackneyed “I want to skate my best” soundbytes anyway.
    I was at that show and saw that fall! It was not good. Ashley didn’t skate in the second act as scheduled, and had a reduced role in the group finale. I remember being so worried for her to go to worlds. It’s a miracle that she found the strength to push through the pain and had such a great result in the end.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    https://goldenskate.com/forum/newrep...oquote=1Ashley is a well rehearsed, well spoken athetle. Lovely rehetoric. i do believe she can win an olympic medal; she has some of the highest pcs when on - of course I could also see he lingering outside of the top ten - ice is very slippery. If she UR's and falls she could be in big trouble. But I you can't count her out however. there are only three medals and you have two to three Russians, Two Japanese, at least one if not two Canadian ladies and Carolinato battle two Americans for three meagre medals. If Wagner skates clean she gets a medal. And she will win a team medal probably too. There is probably only room for one North American lady though on the podium. So she and Kaetlyn might battle it out.

Bona Fide Member

2 Not allowed!
    She's just her own little telenovela, isn't she?

Love her!

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset skylark's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahSynchro View Post
    I was at that show and saw that fall! It was not good. Ashley didn’t skate in the second act as scheduled, and had a reduced role in the group finale. I remember being so worried for her to go to worlds. It’s a miracle that she found the strength to push through the pain and had such a great result in the end.
    We're all richer because of it. I'm very happy to have those inspiring moments to re-watch.

Wagner chose not to discuss the injury in interviews before or right after worlds. She did reportedly mention it at Skate America six months later.

“I didn’t want that to be the story [at worlds],” Wagner said. “I was already mentally dealing with so much. The last thing that I wanted to see was a reminder of my injury left and right.”

This is worth some attention, on behalf of all the athletes. I often feel this way when reading about some skater's struggle. Maybe it doesn't bother some, but I wouldn't want to be forced into that "frame" when trying to think positively ... and then asked about it every time a reporter approached.

Tripping on the Podium

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skatingcat View Post
    I'm rooting for her. She's got grit.
    The mouth does not really equal grit.

Bona Fide Member

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
    although, she has shown it on occasion over the years. Sticking around after 2010 and 2011 and bouncing back, then post-Sochi bounce, then Boston. So it *is* there. That said, sometimes there is a disconnect between her words and the product she puts out on ice.

Tripping on the Podium leafygreens's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skylark View Post
    ETA: Ashley has also never tried to rationalize her mistakes or blame inequitable calls on anyone else.
    She did at 2014 Olympics. Remember the meme of her mad face at the team event? Then she used the Yuna/Adelina controversy as an excuse to speak out about her own scores. Paraphrasing: "It's not ok for someone to fall and place above you."

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset skylark's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    She did at 2014 Olympics. Remember the meme of her mad face at the team event? Then she used the Yuna/Adelina controversy as an excuse to speak out about her own scores. Paraphrasing: "It's not ok for someone to fall and place above you."
    Yeah, I do remember that face, who doesn't? even though I wasn't watching or following ladies at that time. But I don't think that qualifies as rationalizing or blaming. It was a genuine emotional reaction, because she felt she did better than that score reflected. And it only lasted for a few seconds ... it's easy to forget that.

The quote you paraphrased also isn't an excuse or a rationalization. It's a statement about the judging system as it now exists. I completely agree with her that it's not okay for skaters who fall during their performance to get better scores than beautiful skates with no visible errors, or with errors that can only be determined by examining close-ups of feet in slow motion. I just watched IDFrance ladies SP, and it's ridiculous that people who fell got such sky-high scores.

Bona Fide Member

2 Not allowed!
    Really though, Wagner had a point. Sochi was all kinds of a mess.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallorder View Post
    This IS a season of incredible susceptibility to rhetoric. In other disciplines have been baffled by fans so willing to "follow" when a skater bullies their competitors and builds themselves up (e.g., saying they will refuse medals, etc.). Just. Wrong. Put it out on the ice.
    Uh, what? I don’t understand your second sentence at all?

4 Not allowed!
    This whole "athletes should be seen and not heard" attitude really grinds my gears.

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andromache View Post
    This whole "athletes should be seen and not heard" attitude really grinds my gears.
    Why? When I want to hear preaching I go to a church. When I want to hear a story I read books of very selected authors. When I want to watch competitive sports then I watch athletes. When I want to watch figure skating I watch Ashley and others.
    I tell you this: in speaking opinions the athletes are as good as any engineer, janitor, cook or any person on a street. Do you bug every person on the street for their opinions?
    Or do you ask your doctor to fix your plumbing? Or your plumber to sing?

Tripping on the Podium

1 Not allowed!
    Why? When I want to hear preaching I go to a church. When I want to hear a story I read books of very selected authors. When I want to watch competitive sports then I watch athletes. When I want to watch figure skating I watch Ashley and others.
    I tell you this: in speaking opinions the athletes are as good as any engineer, janitor, cook or any person on a street. Do you bug every person on the street for their opinions? Or do you ask your doctor to fix your plumbing? Or your plumber to sing?
    But, apart from the post skate official interview of the three medalist, all her opinions come from interviews that she did elsewhere, not correlated with skating events. So, what's the point of reading them if you're not interested in her (oe whatsoever) opinion? You can just watch her and everybody else skating and let it speak for you or not, according to your preferences. But if you actively go and search for interview than you can not blame her for being a public person, which is asked opinion on her skating (and often on other matters); in such situations she has every right to give her own answer and vision, it's not like she cannot answer to question. And that comes from a person that doesn't find Ashley particularly appealing because of her personality; but it's not that I complain for what I actively searched for the Internet.

2 Not allowed!
    I tell you this: in speaking opinions the athletes are as good as any engineer, janitor, cook or any person on a street. Do you bug every person on the street for their opinions?
    Or do you ask your doctor to fix your plumbing? Or your plumber to sing?
    If my doctor wants to fix some plumbing that's fine. If my plumber likes to sing, fine.

People are people outside of their jobs, fyi. People have opinions. You're free to avoid reading about them. Watch skating - don't read about it on the internet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3