Wagner's pain not limited to Olympic years | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Wagner's pain not limited to Olympic years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manitou

Medalist
This whole "athletes should be seen and not heard" attitude really grinds my gears.

Why? When I want to hear preaching I go to a church. When I want to hear a story I read books of very selected authors. When I want to watch competitive sports then I watch athletes. When I want to watch figure skating I watch Ashley and others.
I tell you this: in speaking opinions the athletes are as good as any engineer, janitor, cook or any person on a street. Do you bug every person on the street for their opinions?
Or do you ask your doctor to fix your plumbing? Or your plumber to sing?

lappo

Final Flight
Why? When I want to hear preaching I go to a church. When I want to hear a story I read books of very selected authors. When I want to watch competitive sports then I watch athletes. When I want to watch figure skating I watch Ashley and others.
I tell you this: in speaking opinions the athletes are as good as any engineer, janitor, cook or any person on a street. Do you bug every person on the street for their opinions? Or do you ask your doctor to fix your plumbing? Or your plumber to sing?

But, apart from the post skate official interview of the three medalist, all her opinions come from interviews that she did elsewhere, not correlated with skating events. So, what's the point of reading them if you're not interested in her (oe whatsoever) opinion? You can just watch her and everybody else skating and let it speak for you or not, according to your preferences. But if you actively go and search for interview than you can not blame her for being a public person, which is asked opinion on her skating (and often on other matters); in such situations she has every right to give her own answer and vision, it's not like she cannot answer to question. And that comes from a person that doesn't find Ashley particularly appealing because of her personality; but it's not that I complain for what I actively searched for the Internet.

andromache

Record Breaker
I tell you this: in speaking opinions the athletes are as good as any engineer, janitor, cook or any person on a street. Do you bug every person on the street for their opinions?

If my doctor wants to fix some plumbing that's fine. If my plumber likes to sing, fine.

People are people outside of their jobs, fyi. People have opinions. You're free to avoid reading about them. Watch skating - don't read about it on the internet.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States

When I want to hear opinions about the sport of figure skating & issues that affect skaters, yes, I would indeed seek out a skater. Just as I'd ask a plumber about plumbing.

At Sochi 2014, Russia's harsh treatment of those who are LGBTQ was a huge issue during the Olympics. Ashley was one of the few athletes who spoke on the record about it. That said far more to me about her character than a split-second expression of shock at a low score.

And yet, Ashley actually was bashed by some who felt she should have just shut up and skated.

R.D.

Record Breaker
At Sochi 2014, the issue of Russia's harsh treatment of those who are LGBTQ was a huge issue during the Olympics. Ashley was one of the few athletes who spoke on the record about it. That said far more to me about her character than a split-second expression of shock at a low score.

And yet, Ashley actually was bashed by some who felt she should have just shut up and skated.

Maybe I shouldn't say this. But for many folks, enjoyment of sport is an avenue to get away from the everyday politics and drama of the world. When said politics is injected through anyway - through some comment of the athlete or other means - that's when you get the backlash. This is the crux of the whole "stick to sports" deal.

In this particular case, I don't lay the blame on the athletes here (although they have the freedom to simply say "no comment" and change the subject) - I put this on the press for hounding them mercilessly about it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well next week Ashley has her opportunity to put up or shut up. The door is wide open for h er to win Skate America - it is the weakest competition of all GP events and it is in her home country. She can win the title and go to the gpf!!! Its her chance to make herself known for the oly podium.

On another note I had a dream/nightmare? I woke up and realize it was just that but in it she placed fourth at nationals after making the GPF. In third place was, gulp, Mirai Nagasu. I woke up too soon to find out who would go to the olympics but can you imagine the deja vu. the repercussions of Wagner going to Sochi over Mirai is immeasurable. We forget the endorsements, media attention, the thrill of going to the olymicics, the USA rah rah and enthusiasm for its olympians and an olympic team medal where you can almost imagine Mirai watching Sochi while working at her parent's restaurant.

Manitou

Medalist
Maybe I shouldn't say this. But for many folks, enjoyment of sport is an avenue to get away from the everyday politics and drama of the world. When said politics is injected through anyway - through some comment of the athlete or other means - that's when you get the backlash. This is the crux of the whole "stick to sports" deal.

I couldn't agree more with this.
Politics is the main source of negative emotions and sport is supposed to be an escape from this poison. And if I follow an admired athlete and they open their mouths about things I don't want to hear about, then it's an automatic disqualification. They abuse their celebrity position, so to me the person is a goner. It applies to all kind of celebrities: actors, artists, athletes, all of them.
Speak only what you are paid for.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I couldn't agree more with this.
Politics is the main source of negative emotions and sport is supposed to be an escape from this poison. And if I follow an admired athlete and they open their mouths about things I don't want to hear about, then it's an automatic disqualification. They abuse their celebrity position, so to me the person is a goner. It applies to all kind of celebrities: actors, artists, athletes, all of them.
Speak only what you are paid for.

Are you saying that people should lose their right to express their opinions as soon as they achieve any level of celebrity? Seriously?

luckyguy

Match Penalty
As with all else in this world, the Olympics is not immune from "the everyday politics and drama of the world"; in fact, its high international profile makes it a lightning rod for it. Heck, even which country's flag is carried or anthem is played is often a subject of high dispute. At Sochi, Russia's threats against LGBTQ people were so severe that some athletes/coaches/officials worried that their lives could be in danger if they went there. Thankfully, enough people forcibly spoke out (including brave athletes such as Ashley Wagner) and enough press "mercilessly" reported on it that Russia backed off. Today, the high tensions over North Korea are causing some countries to consider not sending their teams.

And yet, "many folks" think that the very people most affected -- the athletes -- should just shut up so that the rest of us can have "enjoyment of sport" without upsetting our living-room TV fantasies of an Olympics without real-world intrusions.

Maybe should you use your brain and think for example about the situation of LGBTQI-Community in Saudi Arabia, and why your questionable sources (so called Fake-News) criticize Russia and are silent in the case of Saudi Arabia, where the law punishes acts of homosexuality or cross-dressing even with execution. (Wikipedia).

Manitou

Medalist
Are you saying that people should lose their right to express their opinions as soon as they achieve any level of celebrity? Seriously?

Of course they can. It's a free speech world, isn't it? Even for celebrities.
But I also have my own right to disqualify the person for taking advantage of it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well next week Ashley has her opportunity to put up or shut up. The door is wide open for h er to win Skate America - it is the weakest competition of all GP events and it is in her home country. She can win the title and go to the gpf!!! Its her chance to make herself known for the oly podium.

Trying to get back on point...she knows as well as anyone what she needs to do, having been at this for 10 years. I’m not so concerned about “demons” for her here (Nats will be a different story), but more so her physical readiness. She’s been doing some off-ice stuff lately as well, sponsor stuff I think.

temadd

Final Flight
Trying to get back on point...she knows as well as anyone what she needs to do, having been at this for 10 years. I’m not so concerned about “demons” for her here (Nats will be a different story), but more so her physical readiness. She’s been doing some off-ice stuff lately as well, sponsor stuff I think.

I would hope, think that she would not shortchange her training but she has done a lot of video promotions and photo shoots recently

noskates

Record Breaker
I feel like this whole "demons" thing has been run by us before. Does she get new demons every year? Not trying to be sarcastic and I do wish the best for Ashley but I would prefer she keep it to herself and put all that energy into her skating. Ashley's whole demeanor has kind of turned me off this year - the sex kitten act and the posturing. She just doesn't need that. She's a beautiful girl and when she's "on" she's great. Just be yourself Ashley and don't try so hard.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
The mouth does not really equal grit.

I guess you must’ve forgotten the times when she was written off after the 2014 olympics and kept competing anyway, was 11th in the sp at worlds in 2015 and came back with a clean fs, won the world silver medal in 2016 WHILE INJURED, and was 7th in the sp at skate Canada and won the bronze medal in the free...her grit doesn’t just come from the mouth, she just likes to outwardly show people who bash her (kinda like u) that she has grit

Bcash

Final Flight
Of course they can. It's a free speech world, isn't it? Even for celebrities.
But I also have my own right to disqualify the person for taking advantage of it.

Too funny. "Disqualify" from what?
And exercising one's rights is not "taking advantage of" anything.

Bcash

Final Flight
Maybe should you use your brain and think for example about the situation of LGBTQI-Community in Saudi Arabia, and why your questionable sources (so called Fake-News) criticize Russia and are silent in the case of Saudi Arabia, where the law punishes acts of homosexuality or cross-dressing even with execution. (Wikipedia).

Deflect is not a smart strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.