Gold withdraws from 2018 US Nationals | Golden Skate

Gold withdraws from 2018 US Nationals

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (Nov. 17, 2017) - U.S. Figure Skating announced today that two-time U.S. champion Gracie Gold has withdrawn from the 2018 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships as she continues to receive professional treatment for off-ice matters.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is very sad news. As much as we like a comeback story, it's most important that she gets the treatment and help that she needs, and learns to love herself and love life after skating (should this mark the end of her amateur career, which it might not).

At her best, she was one of the best figure skaters (maybe even the best) in the world, and even though she fell short of some of her own expectations - and what others expected of her -
she should hold her head high for achieving what most never do.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Obviously. It never should have even been considered. She has much more important things to worry about right now.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Not the least bit surprising and frankly, I'm relieved. Her health comes first and the pressure of trying to recover and training for the Olympics is just too much for anyone to do at the same time. I wish her the very best in whatever she decides to do from this moment forward. Your fans will always be here, Gracie!!!!!!!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Get well soon Gold, take all the time you need. You are well loved and missed.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I actually think it's good news, because it means that she's receiving support for her recovery and isn't being pressured to return to training. Rushing to prepare for Nationals and feeling let down after a bad result could put her back to square one.

Correct. I meant sad news in that many of us would have loved to see her return to the ice and Nationals will not be the same without her. However, you're right in that a bad result could actually prove more damaging.

temadd

Final Flight
So sorry that Gracie is going through such a tough time. Some words of wisdom from Aly Raisman "Don't let the Olympics [or any competition] be the highlight of your life. People will remember you for the kind of person you are rather than the place on the podium."

Jennifer Lyon

On the Ice
Gracie Gold withdraws from U.S. Nationals

https://www.clickondetroit.com/spor...hdrawing-from-us-figure-skating-championships

"It breaks my heart to withdraw from the 2018 U.S. Championships. I am still undergoing treatment for depression, anxiety and an eating disorder. I have not had adequate training time in order to perform at the level at which I want to. It pains me to not compete in this Olympic season, but I know it's for the best. I wish everyone the best of luck and will be cheering you all on. I want to thank everyone for the ongoing love and support. It means the world to me."

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Sad, but seems she has big support from her nearest and skating friends. All the best to Gracie!

musicfan80

Medalist
I assumed Nationals couldn’t happen once she withdrew from her GP events, correct? Did she have a bye from last year - I thought byes were for top 5 and Gracie was 6th.

Best of luck to Gracie in the future. :)

LRK

Record Breaker
My heart goes out to Gracie - get well & take care, Gracie!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This is very sad news. As much as we like a comeback story, it's most important that she gets the treatment and help that she needs, and learns to love herself and love life after skating (should this mark the end of her amateur career, which it might not).

At her best, she was one of the best figure skaters (maybe even the best) in the world, and even though she fell short of some of her own expectations - and what others expected of her -
she should hold her head high for achieving what most never do.

Very well said. Thank you. As one who has suffered, I wish for her all the best as we all do. It will be interesting to see if she does decide to come back in a "lower pressure" year just to see if she can beat the ice monsters for alittle while. Everyone is different, but personally I think the stress felt by many skaters in competition just may not be what she needs to heal and go on to her "forever" life. You go, Gracie! Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think this was the very best thing for Gracie to do. Without the Grand Prix competitions, etc. it seems like there would be a lot of pressure on her at Nats. So I totally agree with Coyote Chris in that additional stress so soon would not be good for her.

Get well Gracie. The sport misses you. And I miss you too.

andromache

Record Breaker
So not only would skating stress be bad for her - I would think that anyone with an eating disorder would be further mentally damaged by having to be on a skating diet. I assume that all ladies in skating have to really, really watch what they eat. Their diets are probably far stricter than any of us have ever experienced. And a vital aspect of eating disorder recovery is re-learning how to eat without thinking too hard about it. Which doesn't at all mesh well with what most elite athletes need to do.

iamchrislao

On the Ice
Get well soon Gracie. Thank you for blessing the skating world with your beautiful skating. I wish you the best.

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
Anxiety, depression... God, how could that sunny-smiling girl have got such a diseases... Hugs to Gracie!..

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I assumed Nationals couldn’t happen once she withdrew from her GP events, correct? Did she have a bye from last year - I thought byes were for top 5 and Gracie was 6th. Best of luck to Gracie in the future. :)

I thought the same, because the USFS handbook says that byes for Olympic medalists are given for the "same event." But she must have been given a bye for the team medal; otherwise she wouldn't have had a nationals spot & wouldn't have needed to withdraw.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Well, this didn't really come as a surprise. Hopefully she'll manage to figure things out during the course of the season and then does what she feels is best for her.