Trivia Question: Has this happened before? | Golden Skate

Trivia Question: Has this happened before?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So I was having a think, and now I'm having a question.

I know there have been scenarios in the past where a skater has pulled double-duty at a Junior international event - pairs and singles, or dance and singles.

Has there ever been a skater pulling double-duty at a Senior international event?

And to go one bigger, has there ever been a skater pulling double-duty at a Senior Championship event? (ie Europeans, Four Continents...)

Just running through possible Team Australia thoughts in my head...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Valentina Marchei probably could have done it or maybe even do it but I don’t think she ever did.

gkelly

Record Breaker
In addition to Yamaguchi, the other example that comes to mind is Ken Shelley, who was US champion in both men's singles and pairs in 1972. He also skated both events at 1971 Worlds -- and won bronze in pairs both years.

I think it was more common earlier in the 20th century, when the skating world was much smaller.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Kristi Yamaguchi did a lot of double duty when she was still skating pairs with Rudy Galindo.

ETA: Others beat me to it. :)

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
On the subject of the subject of this thread, have Grand Prix events ever been held in Olympic cities on consecutive weeks before? (Grenoble and Lake Placid)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
So I was having a think, and now I'm having a question.

I know there have been scenarios in the past where a skater has pulled double-duty at a Junior international event - pairs and singles, or dance and singles.

Has there ever been a skater pulling double-duty at a Senior international event?

And to go one bigger, has there ever been a skater pulling double-duty at a Senior Championship event? (ie Europeans, Four Continents...)

Just running through possible Team Australia thoughts in my head...

Apart from the Dodds family (who I am sure are the ones that inspired this question), there are three names that immediately came to mind when I saw this post. But, it turned out that although they did the double on many occasions, all the Singles competitions in the equation were at Junior level.

Are we counting mixtures of levels? Because Annabelle Prölß mixed Senior Pairs (with Ruben Blommaert) and Junior Ladies at the 2012 German Nationals, 2013 Coupe de Nice and 2014 Challenge Cup.

Incidentally, other times she did the double at Junior level were 2011 German Nationals, 2012 Ice Challenge, and 2012 Warsaw Cup (the latter 2 events being on consecutive weeks! :drama: )

The two other skaters I thought of only did the double at Junior level.

Anna Dušková and Martin Bidař did the 2013 Ice Challenge together and individually. And in the same season, Anna did the 2014 Junior Worlds in both Singles and Pairs.

I know Junior Worlds isn't a Senior Major, but I still think Anna deserves a lot of credit for doing it at a Junior Major. :agree:

:bow: :cheer: :clap: :points:

Those were a few recent names that popped into my mind. But, I am sure there are more that do strictly conform to the requirements.

CaroLiza_fan

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Apart from the Dodds family (who I am sure are the ones that inspired this question)

You are of course correct; I am particularly thinking of Andrew (who IMO is still one of the best male skaters in Australia) and Four Continents. He and Chantelle have the minimums in dance for 4CC; if he were to finish high enough at Nationals, he could be technically chosen in both singles and dance. So I am curious as to whether it's been attempted in a championship event before.

I'm enjoying the examples :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
Oh yeah, Stephen Carr. He competed in pairs for many years with his sister. Some years he also competed in singles -- e.g., he was at 1994 Olympics in both. He did have a triple axel.

Rena Inoue, before she teamed up with John Baldwin, competed as a single skater and pairs skater in 1990-91 and in 1992. She did not have any international assignments as a singles skater that year, though. Kyoko Ina had a substantial singles career before she took up pairs with Jason Dungeon.

But the question was about someone skating in both disciplines at the same international event, right?

Weathergal

Medalist
Julianne Seguin skated both singles and pairs for a while. But not quite at the level karne is asking about.

In singles she got a bronze at Autumn Classic as recently as 2014, but didn't compete in pairs (with Charlie Bilodeau) there.

She did win a silver in pairs at Junior Worlds later that season though. Still pretty impressive.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Julianne Seguin skated both singles and pairs for a while. But not quite at the level karne is asking about.

In singles she got a bronze at Autumn Classic as recently as 2014, but didn't compete in pairs (with Charlie Bilodeau) there.

She did win a silver in pairs at Junior Worlds later that season though. Still pretty impressive.

yup.. i didn't mention Julianne because I thought it was same event in the question... then i mentioned Meagan who indeed competed and even was on the podium in both events at Golden Spin in 2005....

Then I realised the OP had mentioned "championships"
well...so both Meagan and Julianne have done 4cc in singles and pairs BUT on different years. Neither has done 4CC in singles and pairs the same year though.

However,in other circumstances meaning that if Canada had decided to send her in pairs, she had placed 4th in pairs at Nationals, she could have been sent to 4cc in both events (i think it was 2006).... but she went only in singles.

We have been joking that either Julianne and Meagan could probably get the 3rd spot in Canadian ladies for the Olympics... (of course, it's a joke... neither has 3-3 etc and Alaine will get strong in time, I am convinced of that).... but yes... they have competed at the 4CC level in singles and pairs.

brightphoton

Medalist
I vaguely remember an American skater who was a pairs skater and a singles skater, around 2010 maybe? She made it to the national level in both disciplines. I think the highest she placed was 8th or something in singles. She gave an interview that said she was going to quit pairs and concentrate on being a singles skater, but then she dropped off the map.

I can't remember her name. She was a short skater, strawberry blonde or perhaps red hair?

Eeyora

Final Flight
Kyoko Ina- place fourth in singles at US Nationals in 1995. She won silver the same year in pairs.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I vaguely remember an American skater who was a pairs skater and a singles skater, around 2010 maybe? She made it to the national level in both disciplines. I think the highest she placed was 8th or something in singles. She gave an interview that said she was going to quit pairs and concentrate on being a singles skater, but then she dropped off the map.

I can't remember her name. She was a short skater, strawberry blonde or perhaps red hair?

Amanda Dobbs. She placed 7th in Pairs with Joseph Jacobson and 6th in Ladies. She was actually sent to 4CC and was 2nd in the SP behind Akiko SUzuki and 4th overall. She did get to go to one GP as a Ladies skater (she was 6th at CUp of China in 2010).

She lives in Michigan and is married and expecting her first child: https://www.instagram.com/p/BbNbHWvjJbf/?taken-by=muckeymouse93 She was doing some coaching too, but not sure if that's the case now.

Last edited: