Top Prospects of Russian ladies | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Top Prospects of Russian ladies

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Updates:

Being JGPF champion, having so difficult content and incredible amount of transitions, Trusova can't have four stars. Five stars so far, congratulations.
Samodelkina and Berestovskaya also join to five stars club. You can see gleams of mastery in their skating, very mature skating for 10 yo girls. Not to mention their jumps and spins.

tars

Record Breaker
Are you considering physical features constructing the ranking as well?

Because it's quite clear for me, that some of these 5-star girls will suffer much hardship sooner rather than later and are not very promising at all. Just saying.

Shayuki

Record Breaker

Because it's quite clear for me, that some of these 5-star girls will suffer much hardship sooner rather than later and are not very promising at all. Just saying.
Who are you talking about? The 03-04s are all very impressive and they all even are coached by Eteri. I think it's at this point impossible to argue that "not very promising at all" could refer to any of them.

For 07s, both Akatieva as well as Berestovskaya have actually outperformed Anastasia Gubanova, who is the strongest pre-junior skater Russia's ever had, at the equivalent age.

So it is about Samodelkina? I think she's the most special performer since Shcherbakova and already is far ahead of every single JGP lady in that department(Except perhaps Gubanova if she's able to regain the magic she had some time back). And it's not like her jumps are bad, what with 7 triple FS layouts and 3-3 combinations. Still need to be reasonable with 10-year-olds. Especially if you're saying her body type is going to make her lose her jumps or some such - That's an awfully negative outlook to have. All sorts of skaters are going to be doing 7 triple free skates and jumping 3-3s but being able to perform in the way Samodelkina can is what really sets the skaters apart. It's not something you can just train and go ahead and learn. You need to have it.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker

That's dynamic ranking. Girls can earn stars and can lose them. We can't consider their future puberty and their possible regress. For now, they are the best in their age group. What will be tomorrow - we'll see. I'd say we need to think about the future archives for unrealized talents. Like, "this girl had five stars, she was a pure talent for her age, but now she is only three or two stars" :(

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Who are you talking about? The 03-04s are all very impressive and they all even are coached by Eteri. I think it's at this point impossible to argue that "not very promising at all" could refer to any of them.

For 07s, both Akatieva as well as Berestovskaya have actually outperformed Anastasia Gubanova, who is the strongest pre-junior skater Russia's ever had, at the equivalent age.

So it is about Samodelkina? I think she's the most special performer since Shcherbakova and already is far ahead of every single JGP lady in that department(Except perhaps Gubanova if she's able to regain the magic she had some time back). And it's not like her jumps are bad, what with 7 triple FS layouts and 3-3 combinations. Still need to be reasonable with 10-year-olds. Especially if you're saying her body type is going to make her lose her jumps or some such - That's an awfully negative outlook to have. All sorts of skaters are going to be doing 7 triple free skates and jumping 3-3s but being able to perform in the way Samodelkina can is what really sets the skaters apart. It's not something you can just train and go ahead and learn. You need to have it.

I guess Samodelkina has a similar body-type with Tarakanova. She is pretty tall for her age. Maybe it's even advantage to prevent the growing spurt at age of 13-15. About Berestovkaya - don't even know. She can suddenly grow up within one summer, like Viktoria Safonova or Alexandra Egorova from Plushy school. Trusova's case is also contradictory, but I saw her mother, and she is not much taller than Sasha.

madison

Record Breaker
Not even close. Tarakanova was thin as a stick at that age.
If you guys think, top coaches like Eteri look at artistry, amount of triples at this age and not at physical attributes, good for you. I'm rather going to keep my eyes wide open.

At what they look more precisely? Cause there are skaters very tall as Sotskova and Polina T. that managed to be quite successful.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Not even close. Tarakanova was thin as a stick at that age.
If you guys think, top coaches like Eteri look at artistry, amount of triples at this age and not at physical attributes, good for you. I'm rather going to keep my eyes wide open.

Samodelkina's body is already very feminine for her age: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8KmBkLwQaM

I'd say she won't grow so much.

And on the contrary, you can take a look at Radio at age of 9-12. She was very small and looked like a kid. And after changes you can see how tall she is.

tars

Record Breaker
At what they look more precisely? Cause there are skaters very tall as Sotskova and Polina T. that managed to be quite successful.
Jumping ability of course (with Midori Ito's vertical, your body shape doesn't matter :biggrin:), then hips as centre of human body's gravity (narrow-wide), agility, stamina, then aesthetical features like shape of arms, neck, innate fluidity in movement, etc..

I bet in two minutes of watching skater warming up Eteri knows, if a skater has promise or not.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
But I somehow believe that Akatieva will remain so small. Her body-type is more like Sherbakova's. Maybe a bit shorter legs than Anna's, which could be her advantage.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
The whole point is to NOT look feminine at this age. :)
The more they remind sticks, the bigger reserve for puberty changes in the future. And they'll come inevitably.

Well if they can do triple triples with a more feminine body at that age, then their technique will be more stable. And they won't have to lose and possibly regain their jumps in puberty.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
We could divide girls' body-types into several groups:

1) Danger group. When girls are small and have childish body being 9-12. Big risk some of them suddenly will grow up very fast. Kurakova's case as a safe example, Radio's and Safonova's are not.
2) Group of earlier puberty. There are also two subtypes: a) Tarakanova, Samodelkina; b) Panenkova, Gulyakova*.
3) Girls from Eteri's group like Medvedeva, Zagitova, Scherbakova, Akatieva.

* - Gulyakova is tall, Panenkova isn't.

Hell, but Medvedeva also had a childish body when she was 12 yo. There's definitely some magic. [emoji848]

Shayuki

Record Breaker
The whole point is to NOT look feminine at this age. :)
The more they remind sticks, the bigger reserve for puberty changes in the future. And they'll come inevitably.
Or perhaps they will be more used to jumping with a body type like that and won't have such big issues dealing with the changes.

In terms of general wisdom, long limbs are bad for figure skating. Having short limbs and being "stocky" is supposed to be advantageous. Radionova's body type as a little girl for instance was not something that would be considered optimal at all. Actually, wouldn't you say a more stocky figure is less likely to lose their jumps after puberty? They're used to jumping with that frame, after all. Being a stick figure isn't supposed to be the optimal body type to have for figure skating going forward. I just don't see the logic here assuming what you're primarily proposing is that Samodelkina would lose her jumps as she grows older.

If you're going to point at Gubanova as an example here keep in mind that: 1) She's just one example and everyone is an individual 2) Her jump technique is significantly worse than Samodelkina's 3) It's not even all said and done yet.

tars

Record Breaker
But I somehow believe that Akatieva will remain so small. Her body-type is more like Sherbakova's. Maybe a bit shorter legs than Anna's, which could be her advantage.
Imo Medvedeva, Shcherbakova and Akatieva have very similar body shapes.

Well if they can do triple triples with a more feminine body at that age, then their technique will be more stable. And they won't have to lose and possibly regain their jumps in puberty.
They will, all of them. Eteri said it in interview, for girls it's a constant battle of adjusting your changing body to the technique habits. One may say, they're basically losing and regaining their jumps day after day. It both scary and worth of greatest respect. :thumbsup:

tars

Record Breaker
Or perhaps they will be more used to jumping with a body type like that and won't have such big issues dealing with the changes.

In terms of general wisdom, long limbs are bad for figure skating. Having short limbs and being "stocky" is supposed to be advantageous. Radionova's body type as a little girl for instance was not something that would be considered optimal at all. Actually, wouldn't you say a more stocky figure is less likely to lose their jumps after puberty? They're used to jumping with that frame, after all. Being a stick figure isn't supposed to be the optimal body type to have for figure skating going forward. I just don't see the logic here assuming what you're primarily proposing is that Samodelkina would lose her jumps as she grows older.

If you're going to point at Gubanova as an example here keep in mind that: 1) She's just one example and everyone is an individual 2) Her jump technique is significantly worse than Samodelkina's 3) It's not even all said and done yet.
The whole question is: can you recognize from few 4 minute YT videos, if a 10yo girl has Daleman or Wakaba's jumping ability?
If you can, then kudos to you and congrats to the new upcoming fs star. :agree:

I certainly can't.