The program(s) that changed it all | Golden Skate

The program(s) that changed it all

lappo

Final Flight
Sometimes, there are skaters whose skills and qualities you can't deny but that you don't like for whatever reason or don't care about that much...and then they find the right program(s), that shows them in a different light and that makes you follow them with more attention or turn you into a fan. Did it happen to you?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Delobel/Schoenfelder FD "Carnival" at 2006 European

Daisuke Takahashi's SP "Cyber Swan" at 2008 Four Continents

Florent Amodio's SP at 2010 Vancouver

Ashley Wagner FS " Black Swan" at 2012 Four Continents

Denis Ten SP/FS "The Artist" 2013 Worlds

Tatsuki Machida's "East of Eden" at 2014 Worlds

Patrick Chan's Chopin at 2015 Four Continents

Carolina Kostner "Ave Maria" at 2014 Sochi Team Event - still not a big fan, but turned me to start paying more attention to her

Sui/Han's sassy SP in the 2015-16 season

Anna Pogorilaya EX "Rising like a Phoenix" in the 2014/15 season

Akiko Suzuki FS "O" at 2012 NHK Trophy

Satoko Miyahara SP "Fire Dance" at 2015 NHK

Shibutani/Shibutani FD "Fix You'" at 2015-16 GPF

Hubbell/Donohue's SD & FD at 2017 Skate Canada

Of course, this list doesn't include my all-time or other favorites whose skating I felt in love at first sight. :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think this is in keeping with the spirit of the thread:

While I'm still not a super-fan of his, Hanyu's short program to Prince was one of the most fantastic things I've ever seen.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Didn't care that much for Carolina Kostner until her footwork sequence in her free program at 2011 Worlds:

https://youtu.be/elDpqKUPt9U?t=3m7s

Javier Fernandez wasn't really on my radar until his 2001 short program at Skate Canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvQMmN6Upo8

Also didn't think much of Takahiko Kozuka until his 2008 short program to Take Five:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnpRKk1fdu0

All just wonderful before IJS went crazy. Bring back spiral sequences. Caro Caro Caro !!,

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Boyang's Spiderboyang did it for me! The first time I saw him he was skating to Tango Amore and it was bizarre because he must have been like 15 at the time, but looked 10 so it was just awkward and I was like "Yeah...don't wanna see that", but I have seen the light. ;)

And Javier's Black Betty SP certainly showed me the benefit of using lyrics in programs and also made me a big fan of his :biggrin:

Also...strange as it may sound I wasn't actually a mega-Pushy fan until I started watching his early early programs (Junior Worlds 1997 early), he was so talented it was amaaaazing! Now I'm a Plushy tragic :laugh:

zschultz1986

Final Flight
It was 2007, and Kim Yuna and Mao Asada were the girls that jump started Women's Figure Skating. Specifically for me, it was Yuna's Short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTCAsSGgFWc She was SO on song, and the jumps were high. I was looking for someone to root for after Michelle. Rooting for Cohen was good in 2006, but as a Michelle fan, it felt -a bit- like rooting for the enemy (even though she is great, and I have matured to the point where I understand that it was my immaturity and blind fandom that wouldn't let me see her greatness).

No women should be MORE celebrated than these two, who pushed the sport in both artistry AND technical ability. I was always a Yuna fan. The speed, the power, and the outward way Yuna performed captured me. However, after 2010, I rooted for both. For me, 2014 was the crowing moment for Mao, in her short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm9F-lSuArQ (I love British Eurosport for those two, but if you want to see the 3F, you can watch here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2xjUQWPsPY). The ethereal quality of Mao's skating, along with the triple Axel, and the spell she casts, is beyond reproach in this short.

I understand why Japanese and Korean fans were at each others throats. They were two Champions going for the same crown. As a Kwan fan, it reminded me of the Kwan/Cohen, Kwan/Lipinski rivalries. However, as time passes, I hope these fans watch the amazing skates of the rival skater with new eyes, and can appreciate the stunning depth of quality and quantity they both put out throughout their careers.

I would put them 1 and 1a in the rankings. In whichever order you choose. Not even Medvedeva could touch them at their peak.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
for me, Virtue/Moir 'Valse Triste' FD at Tokyo 2007 Worlds changed my perception of Ice Dance

in Ice Dance, also WeaPo 'Je suis malade' FD at Nice Worlds 2012 was a defining moment of some sorts, Shibutanis 'Fix you' at Boston Worlds 2016.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Virtue/Moir 2008 Worlds FD. I said "these are the Olympic champions in 2010 for sure"

Yuzuru Hanyu 2012 Worlds LP. Same reaction but for Sochi.

Papadakis/Cizeron 2014 Cup of China FD. Same reaction again but for worlds 2015.

Mao Asada 2007 Worlds LP.

Yuna Kim 2006 Worlds SP

Davis/White Bollywood OD in Vancouver.

Delobel/Schoenfelder 2006 FD in Torino.

Shibutanis Fix You at Skate Canada 2015.

Daisuke Takahashi everything.

Sui/Han Worlds 2016 SP.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Shibutani/Shibutani 'Fix You'

Ashley Wagner 'Moulin Rouge'

Wakaba Higuchi 'James Bond'

Volosozhar/Trankov 'Swan Lake'

Stolbova/Klimov 'Addams Family'

Adam Rippon 'Arrival of the birds/O'

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Virtue/Moir 2008 Worlds FD. I said "these are the Olympic champions in 2010 for sure"

Yuzuru Hanyu 2012 Worlds LP. Same reaction but for Sochi.

Papadakis/Cizeron 2014 Cup of China FD. Same reaction again but for worlds 2015.

Mao Asada 2007 Worlds LP.

Yuna Kim 2006 Worlds SP

Davis/White Bollywood OD in Vancouver.

Delobel/Schoenfelder 2006 FD in Torino.

Shibutanis Fix You at Skate Canada 2015.

Daisuke Takahashi everything.

I quite agree about Daisuke - for me, he was a skater who was able to evolve and show different qualities/characters each season, enriching people's perception about him in general. He was splendid, believable and different equally in Elvis SP, 'Blues for Klook' FS or Cyber Swan in 2007/08 season - his insane musicality and this flare for the performance in general allowed him in my opinion to create a fresh, new perspective in his respective skating each season. His programs may not have like super technical push, highest BV out there, but they pushed FS in terms of complete/compelling performance in actual competition; polish of his skill, organic co-relation between music, movement made everything so easy to watch and appreciate.

A similar case for me is Patrick Chan right now - particularly his SP performance at TEB 2012 (?, I am not sure right now about the exact date) to 'Elegy' put a different perspective in my perception of Patrick, made me understand his skating more and get into it actually not only as a viewer, but in sense of reacting to it emotionally.

Wilwarin

On the Ice
Tatsuki Machida's everything at 2014 worlds
Adam Rippon's Arrival of the birds/O
Patrick Chan's both programs in 2016/2017 season
Yuzuru Hanyu 2017 Worlds LP
Ashley Wagner's Moulin Rouge
S/H's Spanish Romance

Really, some of them are still not my cup of tea but they did have stand out programs, while others became my fav over the years.
This list does not include all-time favs of course:biggrin:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Changed it all in that, I had seen the skater before but didn't think super highly of them until seeing a specific performance?

The only one that comes to mind is Evgenia Medvedeva's FS at Skate America 2015.

For most other skaters I like, I had liked them for quite a while before they had their highlight performance...

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
So many Shibutani/Shibutani 'Fix You' in this thread, :agree: but I have to agree, this program make them true champion! I use to find them a bit odd... but they definitely skate ‘fix you’ from the bottom of their hearts, which shown us the true colour of Shibutani.

D/W, ‘Indian Folk Dance’, OK, I know I am a bit late, but I don’t even watch ice dance before this.

P/C, “Concerto No. 23” (2015)

Yuzuru Hanyu’s Romeo & Juliet 1.0 (2012), it changes everything. I only start to pay attention to figure skating after watching this program.

Wakaba Higuchi, ‘Skyfall’ of this season. I was not a big fan of her before this season, but this program really change my impression about her, I am now rooting for her to be in the Japanese Oly team.

Rika Hongo, ‘Riverdance’ , Jason Brown, also ‘Riverdance’ :biggrin:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Javier Fernández and Black Betty. Haven't looked back since.

Can't really think of anything else as (literally) life-changing...

E

temadd

Final Flight
Ashley Wagner - Black Swan

Wakaba Higuchi - Skyfall

Shibs - Fix You - Also opened my eyes to Ice Dance in general. I never followed it until I saw that program.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Michelle Kwan- Salome
Maria Butyrskaya Otonal
Irina Slutskaya Carmen
Ashley Wagner Black Swan
Sale and Pelletier Love Story
Meryl and Charlie Samson and Delilah
Johnny Weir Dr. Zhivago
Alexei Yagudin Lawrence of Arabia

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion