Bradie Tennell | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Bradie Tennell

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Bradie is being her best self in the face of the quad era. She's such a beautiful skater and those programs and performances keep getting better which each season.

I love how much feeling she has in her long program. The SP is a stand out. It's playful, cute, sassy and lively without hamming it up. I'm just floored everytime I see her performances this season and yes I've watched those programs at least 6 times each already!

medoroa

On the Ice
I wish she could have skated more clean, but mostly for her own confidence's sake. :) The placements wouldn't have changed and 4th is a great result in this field! GPF is up in the air but I can't wait to see her programs again at nationals and especially 4CC. That's going to be an exciting competition!

Her FS is such a beautiful, beautiful program. She wasn't as on in Canada as she was in America, but the emotions flowing from her give me goosebumps!

Scott512

Record Breaker
Bradie really needed to medal in this event. So close. Getting beaten for the bronze medal by a 15 year old must be hard to take. A silver and bronze could have gotten her into the Grand Prix final.

oly2018

Final Flight
Bradie's continued improvement has been so great to watch. She has made me into quite the fan over the past year. Considering the fields she was in, she definitely exceed expectations.

She seems to have an issue rotating the second 3-3. I wonder why they put that in instead of a 3 half loop 3 combination. If she can rotate that second triple combination, she will always be in medal conversations.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Bradie's continued improvement has been so great to watch. She has made me into quite the fan over the past year. Considering the fields she was in, she definitely exceed expectations.

She seems to have an issue rotating the second 3-3. I wonder why they put that in instead of a 3 half loop 3 combination. If she can rotate that second triple combination, she will always be in medal conversations.
Bradie is improving at age 21 the way it used to be. Her progress is really normal and she will keep improving and actually could win Nationals this year.

Arbitrary

Medalist
I may be asking the question not being first but how could Braide do the 3Lz-3T combo twice in the same FP?
Is it allowed?

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Bradie really needed to medal in this event. So close. Getting beaten for the bronze medal by a 15 year old must be hard to take. A silver and bronze could have gotten her into the Grand Prix final.

Fourth was about as high as she could have hoped for at this event without major mistakes from top contenders. I don’t think it should be “hard to take”, she had her best ever Grand Prix season.. a silver and fourth. She was highest finisher without a quad or 3a at both her events as well. :yahoo:

She did great and has a steady mind. One step out in the free was her worst mistake at both events. She did get a couple ur’s at SC though but she’s never done back to-back GP’s... gotta be tiring. Now she can rest up, train as an alternate for gpf (!) and gear up for Nationals. She trained 3a in summer but it wasn’t close, and with her injury I don’t think she will get one for nats. No problem, just be steady eddie and get the pcs, no deds and if anyone makes mistakes she could make top 5 at worlds. :agree:

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I may be asking the question not being first but how could Braide do the 3Lz-3T combo twice in the same FP?
Is it allowed?

Yes it’s allowed. She repeats lutz and toe and you can repeat two triples. Those are the two she repeats. Wakaba Higuchi won worlds silver medal with this strategy in 2018.

Astolat

On the Ice
Country
Poland
So... Bradie placed 2nd, rather surprisingly (I am so very happy for the Polish winner Ekaterina Kurakova, though!). It seems that Bradie took the Challenger as an opportunity to test a new layout (here are the protocols from SkCan: http://www.isuresults.com/results/s...------FNL-000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf and Warsaw Cup: http://www.pfsa.com.pl/results/1920/CSPOL2019/CSPOL2019_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf). I can't figure out very well what was she going for, but I suspect it was about maximizing the BV (and more points for 2nd half bonuses maybe?).
The test didn't go very well - she fell twice, including one very bizarre fall between elements.

I hope that this experience will work well for her, though - better bomb in Warsaw than at Nationals or 4cc :)

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I'm a bit confused about the Zayak rule.

In this layout she repeats: 3Lz, 3T, 2A, 2T

Isn't she only allowed to repeat 2 jumps?

MarinHondas

Final Flight
So... Bradie placed 2nd, rather surprisingly (I am so very happy for the Polish winner Ekaterina Kurakova, though!). It seems that Bradie took the Challenger as an opportunity to test a new layout (here are the protocols from SkCan: http://www.isuresults.com/results/s...------FNL-000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf and Warsaw Cup: http://www.pfsa.com.pl/results/1920/CSPOL2019/CSPOL2019_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf). I can't figure out very well what was she going for, but I suspect it was about maximizing the BV (and more points for 2nd half bonuses maybe?).
The test didn't go very well - she fell twice, including one very bizarre fall between elements.

I hope that this experience will work well for her, though - better bomb in Warsaw than at Nationals or 4cc :)

It is not a new layout, after falling going INTO her first element she tried to add a combo on the double axel but was clearly too shaken to do so. The second lutz didn’t have much ride out and she didn’t go for the combo because if she fell she would incur a -4 point deduction. I’m sure her layout plan is the same as on the gp. This seemed like a very flukey skate, falling going into your first element would rattle anyone.

Makemi

Rinkside
It's unclear whether they were testing a new layout, or whether she had to improvise new jump combinations in order to partially mitigate the lost value from the missed first jumping pass.

Focusing on the positive aspects that Bradie could use from this experience, she proved that she could land two additional combinations: 2A+3T, and 3F+2T+2Lo. I did some math to see what would happen if she augmented her current layout with those combinations. Since she already does 3Lz+3T twice, she obviously can't do 2A+3T, as she would be zayaking, but she should be able to do 2A+2T. She would also not be able to do 3Lo+2T as in Skate America if she does 3F+2T+2Lo and the above. Trying this new layout would increase her base value to 62.59, which doesn't seem much, but would be higher than Alina Zagitova's 60.54 base value at IdF, and closer to Kihira's 65.97 (which includes two 3As with no falls, albeit one with negative GOE) at Skate Canada. Does this seem like a valid plan?

ElementBase ValueAdjusted Value
Jumps3Lz+3T10.110.1
2A+2T3.783.78
3S4.34.3
2A2.482.48
2nd half3Lz+3T 10.111.11
3F+2T+2Lo8.39.13
3Lo4.95.39
OtherLSp32.42.4
StSq43.93.9
ChSq133
FCCoSp43.53.5
CCoSp43.53.5
Total62.59

I'm pretty sure you're only allowed three combos and your layout has four (also Bradie normally gets level 4 on all her spins so the LSp3 should really be a LSp4).

I also don't think Bradie was trying a new layout but was rather just trying to salvage what she could after that freak fall. If she really wanted to raise her BV her best bet would probably be to bring back the 3Lutz-3Loop. That would give her more play in her elements. Hmm unless she fell BECAUSE she concentrating too hard on trying to set up a 3Lutz-3Loop? That's just conjecture on my part, unless someone has info on what her practice run-through was like we'll never know.

I'm sure she'll be fine by the GPF. Better something like this happens at a competition like this.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Now that this freak fall scenario has happened causing her to miss an entire jumping pass, I wonder if she and her coaches will discuss a “back up plan” for where to add another jump. Even doing a solo 3T or 3T2T/3S2T right after the choreo sequence would have helped her scores a lot.

ecr1221

Rinkside
Did anyone else get Ashley Wagner vibes from Bradie today? With the dress and the music.... it was not quite Ashley level in terms of performance, but I definitely felt something in terms of similarity.

Ross74

Medalist
Congrats to Bradie for holding it together and skating beautifully in her first GPF!

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Congrats to Bradie for holding it together and skating beautifully in her first GPF!

She was great! The improvements she has made in terms of presentation are impressive. Lovely programs. Hopefully she'll bring back the lutz loop at some point and get the marks she deserves...

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I thought she did well in the GPF and was deserving of her qualification and obviously made the best of her chance.

As an older skater, her presence was most welcome amidst the new generation.

She did look a bit old fashioned in her costume and hair though, in my eyes. But I think she has this wiry blond hair that is very stubborn and kept her coiffure simple.

Any idea over possible upgrades come the World Championships?