Feedback on Jackson 5000 series boots? | Golden Skate

Feedback on Jackson 5000 series boots?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Jackson introduced their 5000 series lightweight synthetic boots in 2016 (I believe the women's models were rolled out in ~ mid 2016; the men's models in ~ end 2016, replacing the previous leather Elite and Elite Supreme models (since discontinued). I'd be interested in feedback from early adopters, particularly in comparisons with the previous leather Elite and Elite Supreme models.

(a) Approximately what level of skater are you, and how many hours per week do you skate?

(b) What model did you get, and when did you get it?

(c) Did you wear a previous leather Elite or Elite Supreme model? If so, which model?

(d) What do you like and don't like about your new boot? If you wore a previous leather Elite or Elite Supreme model, what are the major differences (plus or minus)? In particular: Is the size the same? Is the heel pitch the same? Any signs of premature breakdown? Does mounting the blades use the standard screws, or special screws (such as Edeas)? I would appreciate as much detail as you care to share.

Thanks.

treesprite

Final Flight
I have had two pairs of Elite Plus, and loved them. They were split width C/A. In June, I was fitted for customs because split width isn't enough for my crazy feet. The customs are the new Supreme model. They were made wrong twice, so as of today, they are on the way back to Canada for a third try.

Part of the problem with the boots not fitting, is that the new one does not have the padding that the Elite Plus boots did. My Elite Plus boots, in spite of being 4 years old and the padding now compressed, still visually have at least twice the padding as the new Supremes. I am very narrow in the achilles area, making the padding absolutely crucial. If you are narrow in that area, a stock boot is going to have big gaps in that area, due to the new lack of padding.

Regarding the soles, if you get customs not stock, you don't get the lightweight outsole, because those pieces are pre-cut to fit standard sizes and can't be custom sized.

The outer white material is different, ultra white and feels soft, almost like suede. It gets dirty very easily. I had the second version of my boots for 3 weeks and they already had all kinds of marks on them. I have no idea how to clean that kind of material.

The lace hooks on the tongue are lower than on the Elite Plus, right where the bend is between the foot and leg, making them more difficult to use, and making the tongues inflexible at that spot.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks, treesprite. I'm surprised by the lack of response otherwise. I'd appreciate accounts of other experiences. Thanks.

treesprite

Final Flight
I think it may be that, because the boot models are new and are generally beyond what most forum members would use, there just aren't many people here who have had the experience to comment on them.

Have you asked a skate tech who works with a lot of more advanced skaters about what types of comments and complaints his or her customers have made about them?

theoreticalgirl

Rinkside
I had the Supreme 5500s between November and March of 2017, switching from Klingbeils (which I wore during the entirety of my competitive career). Skillwise I am a Novice-level skater, and skate ~8 hours a week.

From my experience, it looks like the Supremes might use a leather outer layer; it definitely feels and acts like it. The heel pitch was higher than my liking and my blades were mounted using a traditional screw. They didn't feel lighter than any other boot I've worn.

FWIW, I didn't have the best experience in them, ultimately switching to the Low Cut Model, which was closer to a Klingbeil shape. I'm fine now and feel like I have found "my boot".

treesprite

Final Flight
The outside layer of the custom Supremes (I keep having to have re-made), is not like anything I have ever seen. It is very bright white, maybe toward the blue end, and it has a very soft feel almost like suede. I actually don't like the color of it, because it looks strange to me, and there are no laces to match that type of white so the contrast looks bad.

concorde

Medalist
My daughter has been a Jackson girl since she was about 4. She has tried both the Riedells and Risports once and she has happily returned to Jacksons. She has been in Freestyles, Premiers, and now Elites. We expect that each pair of boots will last her 1 year and we order each new pair in late Spring. That is the formula works for us.

My daughter got the Jackson Elite 4200s with the new lightweight sole in May 2016. We actually ordered them the first week that they were available. At that time, she was an 11 year old Juv, who weighted about 80 lbs. Over the summer she skated about 25 hours a week; during the school years, it gets cut back to about 15 hours. She got her double axel and her first triple in the 4200s.

This past June we order her replacement boots which were 1/2 size large than before. There were to be a duplicate of what we ordered last year but the 4200s were discontinued so she is now in the Elite 5200s. Her boots are a normal white leather, not a suede material. She prefer the stiffness of the 5200s to the 4200s but I am not sure if really there is any difference beyond one pair being new and one pair is a year old. She does not use the fancy metal hooks on the tongue of the boots. Her ice time has not changed much from last year to this year but she had added about 5 lbs. Last season she skated as an Intermediate. Since getting the 5200s, she has gotten another triple and is working on 2 additional triples.

We do not do custom but we order split widths. The boots are mounted at the pro shop so I have no idea of what type of screw they use.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks, guys. One of the Jackson videos described the new uppers as a synthetic made from nylon and carbon fiber. I was concerned that it might be plasticky, like vinyl. So I'm glad to hear it's hard to tell from leather. When the new models were rolled out, the women's came in smooth finish, but the men's came in suede finish (not sure of the reason for that), so both finishes are available.

theoreticalgirl

Rinkside
Thanks, guys. One of the Jackson videos described the new uppers as a synthetic made from nylon and carbon fiber. I was concerned that it might be plasticky, like vinyl. So I'm glad to hear it's hard to tell from leather. When the new models were rolled out, the women's came in smooth finish, but the men's came in suede finish (not sure of the reason for that), so both finishes are available.

Makes me wonder if they were referring to the inner layers of the boot instead of the outer.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Correction. One video says quickly that the boots are made with nylon-backed binder fibers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE7MVI6-jRk

A second video gives a few additional details, stating that the uppers are made of microfiber with a nylon reinforcement backing. The composition of the microfiber is not identified, but simply stated to be an "oil-extruded product" (vague), "with the appearance and strength of leather":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkeSWG4EX7E

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi Everyone,

Time sure flies when you're having fun, as the saying goes. It's now been approximately 3 years since the Jackson 5000 series synthetic boots were introduced. I'd be interested in an update on people's experiences with them (pluses and minuses). In particular, I'd be interested in hearing from people who wore the previous generation leather Elite and Elite Supreme. How do the new models compare; especially how well do they hold up? Was the sizing identical (for those whose feet have stopped growing)? Thanks.

Nimyue

On the Ice
I have to second the lack of padding inside the boot and around the achilles. Myself and another skater at my rink have both developed pump bump from these skates. I've had my fitter add padding in the boot by undoing the stitching and basically rebuilding the ankle. Otherwise the boot is great. The lack of padding is a real issue however. It's strange because my Freestyles have more padding than my full custom 5000 skate. Seems like a stupid corner to cut.