Quote Originally Posted by VegMom View Post
He is focused on jumps because to him they are the most fun of skating, along with spins and little tricks.
To him, MITF are stressful and the least fun. Not only just the tests but also practicing because they are very difficult to practice on busy rinks.
It's typical for kids that age to be most interested in jumps, especially boys.
He will need to develop his skating skills if he wants to be able to master the harder jumps as well as to place well in competition.
Finding one or more less busy sessions to practice on might help, but that's more of a commitment for you.

Overall I was trying to get a better picture for the timeline for progress and when we'd get a sense of whether he's on the elite skater track or the recreational skater track. Prior to this thread I did not know if we should be making a school decision now, in a year, in two years, in 5 years... On one hand, coach seemed to love the idea of switching to homeschool now so she could work with him more and set him up for Nationals in a few years. But teachers say, he's doing great and keep him in school. Some of our academic goals for him would be particularly difficult to achieve if we homeschool so this is a BIG decision. I needed to get a better feel for things to determine the right timeline to make these decisions. (Of course there are other factors to consider but they are not related to figure skating.)
You have to make the decisions based on all the factors in your life.

If it were me, I'd say continue more or less as you have been for another 2 or 3 years, until he's ready to compete at juvenile level, and see how he stacks up against the other juvenile boys. Maybe gradually add a bit more ice time or lesson time when/if that seems to be the biggest limit on progress.

I wouldn't make any decisions at this point that would close off non-skating options for the future. But that's just me.

If you can look at the skill levels and age ranges among the juvenile boys in your region or section, those who qualified for Nationals and those who didn't come close, that might give you an idea of where you could be heading in a few years. If you can find out the kind of schedules the more successful kids follow and how long they've been at it, that would also be useful information.