2017 GP Skate America Ladies FS | Page 84 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate America Ladies FS

klutzy

On the Ice
I don't see the distinction between men and women. Polina hasn't turned out to be consistent, either. She lucked into Worlds in 2015 because Karen was too young. The USFSA bet in on an unknown to be their future. They lost that bet.

And, again, Polina performed well at the Olympics--one spot behind Ashley Wagner. The future of U.S. skating at that point was thought to be Gracie Gold.

Polina was coming on strong with a silver at nationals the year of her injury. She would have won if Gracie hadn't had the skate of her life. That doesn't indicate a bad choice on the fed's side. Polina's had two big physical things--puberty and an injury that interfered with her skating at different points. She has to work on under-rotations (and now getting back her jumps). But when she has something, she delivers it. And she's still only 19.

But the main point is that she beat Mirai at Nationals that year and Mirai didn't have the sort of record that showed she should be given precedence over Polina.

If Mirai had beaten Polina at Nationals, I think Mirai should have gone. But she didn't and fell further down the ranks a year--so your argument just doesn't make a lot of sense.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see the distinction between men and women. Polina hasn't turned out to be consistent, either. She lucked into Worlds in 2015 because Karen was too young. The USFSA bet in on an unknown to be their future. They lost that bet.

I don't think it was a bet, or that USFSA "lost" anything.

She performed well enough to win the spot. End of story. It's not like Michelle Kwan was passed over for any team that Polina made.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And, again, Polina performed well at the Olympics--one spot behind Ashley Wagner. The future of U.S. skating at that point was thought to be Gracie Gold.

Polina was coming on strong with a silver at nationals the year of her injury. She would have won if Gracie hadn't had the skate of her life. That doesn't indicate a bad choice on the fed's side. Polina's had two big physical things--puberty and an injury that interfered with her skating at different points. She has to work on under-rotations (and now getting back her jumps). But when she has something, she delivers it. And she's still only 19.

But the main point is that she beat Mirai at Nationals that year and Mirai didn't have the sort of record that showed she should be given precedence over Polina.

If Mirai had beaten Polina at Nationals, I think Mirai should have gone. But she didn't and fell further down the ranks a year--so your argument just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Isn't it possible that she "fell further down the ranks" because of the disappointment of being passed over for both the Olympics and Worlds in 2014? And my argument does make sense because the placements at Nationals are not determinative. A third place finisher can pass a second place finisher under the current rules and the rules that were in place in 2014. You don't have to agree with me. But I think Mirai's record was better than Polina's and that she should have been on the Olympic team. If USFSA wanted to send Polina to Worlds, fine. I think that would have been enough for such an inexperienced skater.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I never even picked up on any of the princesses' exact ages! You folks impress me! :bow:

That's it!!! Kostner for Elsa Skate America 2018, Let it go ..... world record PCS with 3 triples! YES MAGIC on ICE!!

klutzy

On the Ice
Isn't it possible that she "fell further down the ranks" because of the disappointment of being passed over for both the Olympics and Worlds in 2014? And my argument does make sense because the placements at Nationals are not determinative. A third place finisher can pass a second place finisher under the current rules and the rules that were in place in 2014. You don't have to agree with me. But I think Mirai's record was better than Polina's and that she should have been on the Olympic team. If USFSA wanted to send Polina to Worlds, fine. I think that would have been enough for such an inexperienced skater.

If Mirai fell down the ranks because she was overwhelmed by not going to the Olympics then it's not a good indicator of her being able to handle high-stress competition. She'd already been slumping downward from her peak before Polina came on the scene.

Skating's a young person's sport, outside of ice dance, it's not a wait-your-turn venue--and even in ice dance, talent can jump the queue. It's what Mirai did when she first came on the scene as a senior and nabbed the U.S. championship, which she then failed to hold onto.

I'm old enough to remember when Michelle Kwan arrived and started winning at a young age. I remember when she lost the OGM to an even younger Tara Lipinski. That's figure skating and it's part of what makes it interesting to watch. It doesn't wait. Skaters get left behind. The Gold Medal could possibly go to a 15-year-old this year in her first year of senior competition.

It's not like Mirai has never had a chance to go to the Olympics. I really don't get the sense of entitlement some of her fans have about this.

Also, of course, the Nationals have historically worked as Olympics trials with the fed reserving the right to make a final determination as to who goes. I get being upset about Ashley getting to go in lieu of Mirai (and also why Ashley was sent), but Polina, the second-place finisher, just because she hand't been offered enough opportunities to show what she could do on the senior circuit?

Klutzy

Why isn't competition evaluation about the TRULY most accomplished?

Judges, take a good look AT YOURSELVES. Do you care what you see? Then, are you judging what you see on the ice in the moment and do you have the courage to put up marks that show it? Are you educated and evolved enough to even be there? Or are you so self centered you must preserve your position? Even when your marks seriously impact the skaters and future of the sport ? Is that what a judge is? You sit on a panel with the "MUST DO GROUP" ie the toe tapper, the Alla's, the Kazakh judge. The "REPRESENTS MY COUNTRY" group, the "REPRESENTS MY CULTURE" group, the "MY CAREER ABOVE ALL ELSE" group.
Who are you in the end?
What are you in the end?
Will you be a positive part of the sport or regrettable or forgettable? The lives, the incomes, the psychological states of the skaters are in balance. Stay in that corridor? That way you can attend more parties and drink enough to forget the hell you unleash.

Who are the judges for Olympics?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not to overtrain

Oooh.. I actually thought it might be something like that. I wonder if Yuzuru will heed that advice. Well, maybe his experience this autumn will encourage him to.