2017 GPF Short Dance | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Short Dance

cocotaffy

Final Flight
NoNameFace, I don't mean the following as an attack. I read and enjoy your posts and your appreciation of all teams very much but I would like to know: do you equate "momentum" with pre-decided choice? That means, in my book, that P/C didn't really earn their "good grades" and that V/M were underscored. Really? Nobody was claiming that last year when V/M had a momentum that culminated in a huge score at Worlds. P/C made mistakes but their SD was very good IMO and no need to mention V/Ms FD . AND I AM NOT TRYING TO STIR TROUBLE HERE. V/M are great champions but the ill-will brewing towards P/C when they happen to lose a competition is ugly . I'm just getting annoyed at the double-standards.

Couldn't have said it better, double-standards really annoy me but this is how the season is gonna go it seems. I just hope it'll just fire up Gaby and Guillaume even more. I also agree NoNameFace is one of the most thoughtful poster in this forum, always a pleasure to read :agree:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Oh far from it. Their deceleration, stiff torsos, barely adequate extensions are all problems with their skating. Some of the Pair skaters create more pleasing visual rhythms in their dance moves than the Shibs.

You have obviously lost your mind. All of that was circa 2014, 2015. I don't know what lit a fire under them this year but their extentions and skating quality remind me of their 2009 and 2011 outings. As for speed, they have really picked up on that. I think we're so used to bashing the Shibs for certain perceived flaws that we can't see them as they really are today. But don't worry it'll catch up with ya!

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Some observations after finally watching the dance:

- we're SO fortunate to have field packed with incredible dance teams
- V/M and P/C are just amazing - love both programs, great to see the fierce competition
- P/C just killed it - I've never seen them skate so well - and their projection, expression, connection have really amped up, warming up to their music
- V/M - an incredible skate, unexpected yet perfect music choice - they are so fluid, sensual; expression and connection out of this world; some small technical issues that lowered their scores
- the Shib - high BV - but overscored IMHO - don't like their costumes, they skate small and their program is frantic, cluttered, albeit, their expression has improved :slink:

- H/D - amazing, and underscored; beautiful ss but obviously this program, with its more alternative music, doesn't appeal to the judges as much as the Shibs'

bramweld

Record Breaker
Some observations after finally watching the dance:

- we're SO fortunate to have field packed with incredible dance teams
- V/M and P/C are just amazing - love both programs, great to see the fierce competition
- P/C just killed it - I've never seen them skate so well - and their projection, expression, connection have really amped up, warming up to their music
- V/M - an incredible skate, unexpected yet perfect music choice - they are so fluid, sensual; expression and connection out of this world; some small technical issues that lowered their scores
- the Shib - high BV - but overscored IMHO - don't like their costumes, they skate small and their program is frantic, cluttered, albeit, their expression has improved :slink:

- H/D - amazing, and underscored; beautiful ss but obviously this program, with its more alternative music, doesn't appeal to the judges as much as the Shibs'

Needless to say, I don't agree regarding H/D. I love their music choice and expression I just think Shibs were better. H/D should be some ways though from C/B and C/L. I thought they'd score around 76. Oh well, bring on the FD.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I have to say, I'm quite happy with the 99% of this forum. Whether your faves or not wins, or are last, etc, everyone seem to acknowledge the actual performances.
Twitter has become quite nasty. Every V/M ubers screaming "CORRUPTION" even before seeing the actual performances, bugs me so much. And they are tagging the skaters along with them (especially Gaby and Tessa - those 2 seem to get all the bad blood on the internet, it's annoying).

Where V/M lost points yesterday is where P/C use to lose last year. Nothing new. Overall it was a good SD event - a bit disappointed for H/D who lost levels and SHibs who weren't at the top of their game.

Watch the commentary with Ben Agosto on this channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOyQtuMFNZ2GR4CyIWMn7iw/videos
No point in tagging Scott. He rarely uses twitter. Gabby and Tessa are both frequent users and I do see Cizeron post sometimes. If you are going to troll someone you are probably going to troll the one who is more active. I don't get people sometimes. Why tag the skater? That is choice to be nasty. You want to complain about politicking? Tag the people who comment on fs. Tag the federations if you want to. Tagging a skater just seems rude.

MelDee

Final Flight
I have to say, I'm quite happy with the 99% of this forum. Whether your faves or not wins, or are last, etc, everyone seem to acknowledge the actual performances.
Twitter has become quite nasty. Every V/M ubers screaming "CORRUPTION" even before seeing the actual performances, bugs me so much. And they are tagging the skaters along with them (especially Gaby and Tessa - those 2 seem to get all the bad blood on the internet, it's annoying).

The campaign against P/C is getting more and more disgusting - e.g. https://twitter.com/ExposingPandC

Desperate and sad, truly.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
The campaign against P/C is getting more and more disgusting - e.g. https://twitter.com/ExposingPandC

Desperate and sad, truly.

Okay.. truth be told Didier's comment did bother me. I think it is a tremendous disservice to P/C to even say that because it suggest that he is involved in the outcome. Let the skaters skate.

However, please remember that some V/M fans are crazy enough to think they are married with two secret babies. We aren't talking the most rational people, are we?

I like twitter but it is the home of a lot of people with a lot of crazy theories. Tinfoil hat wearing territory.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
and by the way before we decide that this is just V/M's fans who get weird there are plenty of P/C fans (or just 2 or 3 who have a lot of free time and multiple accounts) who say things on twitter and you tube.

Some people need to put their devices down and go outside and take a walk and breathe some fresh air.

matcha

Medalist
Okay.. truth be told Didier's comment did bother me. I think it is a tremendous disservice to P/C to even say that because it suggest that he is involved in the outcome. Let the skaters skate.

I completely agree. Especially after Anyasnake explained their history in the NHK thread, Didier's name and comments are tarring P/Cs achievements and that's incredibly unjust.

He was quite happy to screw them over when they didn't kowtow to his demands, and now he acts like this.

What's even worse is that that tweet will be used as ammunition until the end of time for some die-hard V/M fans and P/C antis if the Olympics turn out how he "predicted", "envisioned", however the hell you want to describe it. And P/C don't deserve that, no one does.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I completely agree. Especially after Anyasnake explained their history in the NHK thread, Didier's name and comments are tarring P/Cs achievements and that's incredibly unjust.

He was quite happy to screw them over when they didn't kowtow to his demands, and now he acts like this.

What's even worse is that that tweet will be used as ammunition until the end of time for some die-hard V/M fans and P/C antis if the Olympics turn out how he "predicted", "envisioned", however the hell you want to describe it. And P/C don't deserve that, no one does.

I totally agree that Didier is a jerk for doing that.

Vera Costa

Rinkside
and by the way before we decide that this is just V/M's fans who get weird there are plenty of P/C fans (or just 2 or 3 who have a lot of free time and multiple accounts) who say things on twitter and you tube.

I mean with V/M, so far it's the fans and they can only make noise which is relatively harmless. But then you have Phil Hersh with these:

Did Skate Canada lose virtue with gift pushing star skater's brand?

There's also his recent article about Caron. Listen, we can talk about corruption in skating all day long, but I still haven't seen articles pointing out who's the present Persident of the French Skating Fed.

P/C fans are already running with it. I made the mistake of checking out the comments section of V/M's programs and they are busy accusing Tessa of buying the judges.

matcha

Medalist
I mean with V/M, so far it's the fans and they can only make noise which is relatively harmless. But then you have Phil Hersh with these:

Did Skate Canada lose virtue with gift pushing star skater's brand?

There's also his recent article about Caron. Listen, we can talk about corruption in skating all day long, but I still haven't seen articles pointing out who's the present Persident of the French Skating Fed.

P/C fans are already running with it. I made the mistake of checking out the comments section of V/M's programs and they are busy accusing Tessa of buying the judges.

Lol well then she's not doing very well comparing GOEs and PCS of both teams. 🙄🙄🙄

Honestly, it's wild how entitled and brazen some ubers/stans act.

icekiwi

On the Ice
My husband and I are Ballroom/Latin dancers, this is how I would have ranked the couples and my reasons why. I look for actual recognisable dance contents, execution of the dance moves, couple coordination and overall characterisation of the dance.

1st Place - Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir - Head and shoulders above the rest of the field and by miles. I would have given them 84/85. They should be 5 points ahead of every body else. They actually understand the beat and rhythm of each dance. Their dance brackets - Samba Rhumba ChaCha. Samba - Straight of the bat - rhythm bounce, hip twists, body roll . Lovely Rhumba with opening side to side, dip, shoulder to shoulder, of course being on blades some of these moves can't be executed on the feet. Cha Cha - strong hip twists, I love the ChaCha closing pose. Both of them are so in sync with each other in the hips, shoulders and feet. The music has a fast beat and they executed all the contents beautifully and FAST with matching lines, not loosing eye contact with each other. Because they are able to execute everything so fast, it looks easy and I believe the judges themselves simply miss what is going on. Scott also presented Tessa well. Ballroom/Latin dancing is also about presenting the lady.

2nd Place - Maia/Alex Shibutani - Their choreography is not as sophisticated as Tess/Scott. I would give them 79, 5 points below Tessa/Scott. I give credit to their matching body movements, they are so in sync with each other. Their timing is also perfect. Their costumes are lovely, matching each other's. Lovely mirror moves.

3rd Place - Maddison Hubbell/Zac Donohue - They are a bit slow across the ice (this is the figure skating part) but they have wonderful connection with each other. Their Rhumba is the best here. Rhumba is about sensitivity to your partner, responding to his (the guy) initiation and reponding to the movements. Great potential as a couple.

4th Place - Gabriella Papadakis/Guillame Cizeron - How the judges put them first is beyond comprehension. I am putting them in 4th place because of their skating skills. Their bracket is Samba Rhumba Samba but where is the Samba, where is the Rhumba? except for the beginning/last bit when they are side to side in front of the judges which is what most couples do. As far as Ballroom/Latin is concerned, this is utter rubbish. He seems to outdance her. His hips and shoulders don't match hers. They are not in sync in their movements as a couple. He seems to over exagerate his moves and forgot to present her as the female partner. Funny enough, our dance instructor used Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' for his beginner Samba class because the Samba beat is a lot slower. Even then, for 50-60 seconds of 'Shape of You' there was no Samba happening. Him wearing a Black singlet is poor taste. Their mirror move is NO mirror move because they each do different steps.

5th Place - Maddison Chock/Evan Bates - Maddison is a lovely dancer but not as strong a skater. They are in general a bit slow in execution of moves. Maddison has the best Samba body bounce.

6th Place - Anna Cappelini/ Luca Lanotte - In some places, her hands are everywhere. They tried to incorporate Samba/ChaCha moves but couldn't execute them properly, so end up looking very messy and out of time. Some things are done really nicely but overall it is all over the place.

Bcash

Final Flight
My husband and I are Ballroom/Latin dancers, this is how I would have ranked the couples and my reasons why. I look for actual recognisable dance contents, execution of the dance moves, couple coordination and overall characterisation of the dance.

1st Place - Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir - Head and shoulders above the rest of the field and by miles. I would have given them 84/85. They should be 5 points ahead of every body else. They actually understand the beat and rhythm of each dance. Their dance brackets - Samba Rhumba ChaCha. Samba - Straight of the bat - rhythm bounce, hip twists, body roll . Lovely Rhumba with opening side to side, dip, shoulder to shoulder, of course being on blades some of these moves can't be executed on the feet. Cha Cha - strong hip twists, I love the ChaCha closing pose. Both of them are so in sync with each other in the hips, shoulders and feet. The music has a fast beat and they executed all the contents beautifully and FAST with matching lines, not loosing eye contact with each other. Because they are able to execute everything so fast, it looks easy and I believe the judges themselves simply miss what is going on. Scott also presented Tessa well. Ballroom/Latin dancing is also about presenting the lady.

2nd Place - Maia/Alex Shibutani - Their choreography is not as sophisticated as Tess/Scott. I would give them 79, 5 points below Tessa/Scott. I give credit to their matching body movements, they are so in sync with each other. Their timing is also perfect. Their costumes are lovely, matching each other's. Lovely mirror moves.

3rd Place - Maddison Hubbell/Zac Donohue - They are a bit slow across the ice (this is the figure skating part) but they have wonderful connection with each other. Their Rhumba is the best here. Rhumba is about sensitivity to your partner, responding to his (the guy) initiation and reponding to the movements. Great potential as a couple.

4th Place - Gabriella Papadakis/Guillame Cizeron - How the judges put them first is beyond comprehension. I am putting them in 4th place because of their skating skills. Their bracket is Samba Rhumba Samba but where is the Samba, where is the Rhumba? except for the beginning/last bit when they are side to side in front of the judges which is what most couples do. As far as Ballroom/Latin is concerned, this is utter rubbish. He seems to outdance her. His hips and shoulders don't match hers. They are not in sync in their movements as a couple. He seems to over exagerate his moves and forgot to present her as the female partner. Funny enough, our dance instructor used Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' for his beginner Samba class because the Samba beat is a lot slower. Even then, for 50-60 seconds of 'Shape of You' there was no Samba happening. Him wearing a Black singlet is poor taste. Their mirror move is NO mirror move because they each do different steps.

5th Place - Maddison Chock/Evan Bates - Maddison is a lovely dancer but not as strong a skater. They are in general a bit slow in execution of moves. Maddison has the best Samba body bounce.

6th Place - Anna Cappelini/ Luca Lanotte - In some places, her hands are everywhere. They tried to incorporate Samba/ChaCha moves but couldn't execute them properly, so end up looking very messy and out of time. Some things are done really nicely but overall it is all over the place.

This sounds like 2014 redux.
"Oh what did the divine dancers V/M do to deserve such injustice?"

Bcash

Final Flight
I'm sorry, some people are singling out P/C fans? Look at P/C's personal pages on social media, all V/M fans throwing insults. How much more disrespectful and insecure can they be?