2017 GPF Men's SP | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Men's SP

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan’s spins have actually regressed considerably since his junior days.

Yes, I should have been clearer, I meant his programs overall. I believe his SP this year does show some improvement in expression, artistry and that other PCS stuff, :biggrin:so I wanted to give credit.

Personally, as a Toller uber though, I am all about the spins.:hap85:

shine

Record Breaker
This.

I am a Nathan uber and I'm a little unsettled that he seems to be fighting through the jumps rather than letting them flow. The blade issue at Skate America and the strange body language I got from Raf unnerve me right now. It suggests to me that something is afoot, but I hope it is just me being overdramatic as an uber. I hope he can put it together tomorrow, though. A win would make him a real challenger for the top but I expected him to be 2nd from the beginning.
More than a win I want him to skate a satisfying program. That program could be such a beautiful masterpiece but unfortunately thr best performance of it still remains the one from US classic IMO. The 5 quads worry me.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm not sure what you mean buy "Jason isn't taken seriously!" From everything I've read and heard the last 2 years is that the biggest complaint is he doesn't have a quad. Otherwise - you can't look at his track record and not take him seriously. Hamilton is not my favorite but every time I see him skate the program it gets better and more refined. I think it's a breath of fresh air compaired to some of the tired ol' classical pieces that have been done to death. You don't have to skate to a dirge to be considered as serious.

I also think Nathan's spins were not very good in his SP this morning. They were slow, they traveled, and I wondered on one of them if he even completed enough rotations.

WestVirginia130

Rinkside
I'm not sure what you mean buy "Jason isn't taken seriously!" From everything I've read and heard the last 2 years is that the biggest complaint is he doesn't have a quad. Otherwise - you can't look at his track record and not take him seriously. Hamilton is not my favorite but every time I see him skate the program it gets better and more refined. I think it's a breath of fresh air compaired to some of the tired ol' classical pieces that have been done to death. You don't have to skate to a dirge to be considered as serious.

this! I so rarely hear any actual criticism of Jason's interpretation (beyond the occasional "too feminine for my tastes" which hardly counts as actual criticism).

Personally I love the choice of Hamilton over the warhorses we're all so used to; no matter how much heart and soul a skater puts into 4 seasons or Winter or Swan Lake or whatever else, they're so tired and over-saturated that their interpretation feels copy/pasted by default, and Jason puts too much emphasis on putting his own personality and energy into his skates to make that compromise, which ultimately just gives his routines a more genuine effect. The Room Where it Happens is literally a program about ambition and not being satisfied with second place, about wanting your contributions to be considered and recognized--and I don't think there is a more appropriate song that he could have chosen.

melis

Spectator
Love Jason (esp his programs last year) but imo this Hamilton program is cringeworthy. There is so much exposition in the lyrics... All I hear is muffled talking and then the occasional "Alexander Hamilton!" I'm not familiar with the musical but I'm surprised his team couldn't find a better song for figure skating.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would just caution judging the lyrics/music of “The Room Where it Happens” unless you have been in the rink to hear it.

I know that I have personally been :confused::confused::confused: about music, for skaters I quite liked, where I didn’t understand the lyrics, or the music, and was not happy. Then in the rink it was far clearer. Of course, that’s hoping you get a good rink sound system:biggrin: But once I heard the tune in the rink, it made sense. (I am not referring to Hamilton, which I have not had the pleasure of seeing live. )

IAC, I doubt every person in the rink in Nagoya was fluent in English, or gave two hoots about the story behind Hamilton, but they seemed to love Jason’s SP. And if Jason performs even relatively clean, the judges don’t seem to have a problem with it either.....

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
Haven't watched anything yet, but judging from the protocols, this event seems like not a disaster! Moving up moving up

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I would rather listen to just about anything to avoid hearing another warhorse. If Jason loves Hamilton, he should skate to Hamilton. I love watching skaters skate to music they connect with.

viennaskater

Medalist
I think Kolyada's program would be immeasurably improved if he cut out 1/3 or so of the arm movements.

Less can be so much more.

ETA: That's an exceedingly generous score.

In my opinion he was overscored - he did not deserve good presentation marks. I am getting tired of seeing his miserable face, I don't get it, he always used to smile more. Give me Voronov's positive smiling attitude any day!

Eislauf

On the Ice
German commentator on Adam Rippon "I know I'm on thin ice with this, but this program is too feminine for my taste." Just come out and say it's too camp for you instead of that 'feminine' political correctness idiocy.

To paraphrase Johnny Weir.."whatever Adam's selling, I'm buying!"

Adam was FIERCE!!!!

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
The men's event has me tied up in knots because it has my favorite from Japan, my two favorites from Russia, and two of my favorites from US. Guess I have no choice but to wake up at the crack of dawn in a few hours to catch the free skate live.:laugh:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thanks gravy, first time I see this, no one does these kind of things anymore.

Shoma's intended landing move at 3:26 demonstrated by Vanessa Gusmero.

That was awesome!

I wonder if that move is allowed anymore...or did it get banned like the 'dying on the ice' pose? :laugh:

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would rather listen to just about anything to avoid hearing another warhorse. If Jason loves Hamilton, he should skate to Hamilton. I love watching skaters skate to music they connect with.

Yeah, I thought Jason's SP was glorious! His spins are a thing of beauty.

Although I did have the lyrics to that song in my head alllll day, thanks a lot Jason. :p

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
In my opinion he was overscored - he did not deserve good presentation marks. I am getting tired of seeing his miserable face, I don't get it, he always used to smile more. Give me Voronov's positive smiling attitude any day!

Well there is something very likeable about Voronov. Kolyada actually has that likability factor too, but I suspect the pressure of an Olympic year must be getting to him.

Now if we could just persuade Mr V about that shirt...

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well there is something very likeable about Voronov. Kolyada actually has that likability factor too, but I suspect the pressure of an Olympic year must be getting to him.

Now if we could just persuade Mr V about that shirt...

Sergei is so likeable! I really want him to do well!

He is known for his strange costumes, but I have to say that shirt is a bit too weird...

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What is 'dying on ice' pose? Is it a pairs/ice dance kind of thing?

Not just pairs and ice dance, for a while everyone was doing it! (Maybe not the men so much, but definitely the ladies) In the end they banned it, or maybe not banned it but said they'd count it as a fall, so no-one does it now.

I wonder if the splits would count as a fall...