2017 GPF Ladies SP | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Ladies SP

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Late to watching and have looked at zero of the posts here, but, wow, Kaetlyn blew me away.:love: For me, she really epitomizes the balance of technical power and artistry. I hope she has a great fs, which is one of my favorite ladies fs this season. I also found Satoko's performance breathtaking and powerful in its own way, and am so happy for her that she's getting back her footing in time for Nationals!

studentsb

Rinkside
Am I the only one who is in love with Alina's SP? I'm so disappointed she didn't skate it clean yet again, though much better this time around.

Having watched "Black Swan", Alina not only bears a physical resemblance to Natalie Portman, but also her perfectionism, nervous energy, and almost frantic choreography fits so well with Nina's character! It is so captivating.

rain

Record Breaker
Late to watching and have looked at zero of the posts here, but, wow, Kaetlyn blew me away.:love: For me, she really epitomizes the balance of technical power and artistry. I hope she has a great fs, which is one of my favorite ladies fs this season. I also found Satoko's performance breathtaking and powerful in its own way, and am so happy for her that she's getting back her footing in time for Nationals!

Really hoping she can deliver a great LP. She hasn't really yet this season. They haven't been bad, but not great yet. This was a really well-skated event, but I thought she was the class of a good field here in the SP.

I do not understand the massive PCS for Zagitova. I find watching her an exercise in frustration, and here she didn't even skate clean. But more than the jump stumble, my issue with her is that no position is ever finished or held or extended. It's all so rushed – and not in a way that looks like it's some kind of deliberate choreographic choice, but in a way that looks like either the choreographer just didn't care enough about anything besides technical elements and checking off boxes to leave enough time for the skater to achieve this, or Zagitova is too young to understand how to properly deliver the movements. I get the impression it's probably a combination of the two. This really should impact her PCS — she should not be close to the top ladies in PCS yet.

Sotskova delivered another solid performance. Where she lacks is speed in the spins and in general. And the arm position on the tanos is atrocious. She's certainly made a case for herself as the third Russian choice for the Olympics. She always delivers. Very reliable. Pretty clear that Zagitova and Medvedeva have the other two spots sewn up.

Seeing Higuchi and Miyahara back to back was very interesting. Miyahara's jump rotations are always a question mark, while Higuchi's don't leave any room for doubt. I like Miyahara's program, and saw good connection to the music this time around. Higuchi is still a little juniorish in her presentation. Definitely one to watch going forward.

Kostner obviously deserved to be in last place here with the missed combo, but she is so elegant and at one with the music. Love watching her.

singerskates

On the Ice
The bottom line for this event is that Alina has all but won the GPF. With her "generous" PCS on her short program and her backloaded long, no one can beat her. Only she can beat herself.
Back loading all her jumps does not fall under the Well Balance Program rule. I hope the ISU upholds the Well Balanced Program rule.

matcha

Medalist
Back loading all her jumps does not fall under the Well Balance Program rule. I hope the ISU upholds the Well Balanced Program rule.

Pretty sure this has been dissected to death and well balanced simply means that all the required elements are included.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I do not understand the massive PCS for Zagitova. I find watching her an exercise in frustration, and here she didn't even skate clean. But more than the jump stumble, my issue with her is that no position is ever finished or held or extended. It's all so rushed – and not in a way that looks like it's some kind of deliberate choreographic choice, but in a way that looks like either the choreographer just didn't care enough about anything besides technical elements and checking off boxes to leave enough time for the skater to achieve this, or Zagitova is too young to understand how to properly deliver the movements. I get the impression it's probably a combination of the two. This really should impact her PCS — she should not be close to the top ladies in PCS yet.

I feel the same way about Zagitova's performances. I really hope she'd improve because otherwise she looks like a star.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Satako's performance here was one of the best displays ever of skating skills from a lady. Her mastery of the blade is exceptional. Beautiful overall performance too, except for failing to hold her ending pose. This should have been the PCS winner. Now if only she could somehow rotate those jumps.

Pretty sure this has been dissected to death and well balanced simply means that all the required elements are included.

The term "well balanced program" does not only mean that. This term has been used forever in figure skating to describe programs that are choreographically well constructed.