Team Eteri Tutberidze | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Team Eteri Tutberidze

NaVi

Medalist
Team Eteri swept the individual Grand Prix events and then swept the podium at the Grand Prix Final.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5ymS-jCluW/

The only other Grand Prix Final sweep I see on Wikipedia was the men in the 1998 Grand Prix Final: Alexei Yagudin, Alexei Urmanov, Evgeni Plushenko

They had all been coached by Alexei Michin... but Yagudin left Michin for Tarasova after the 1998 Worlds and before the 1998 Grand Prix Final.

Eteri gained almost exactly 20K instagram followers during the Grand Prix season.

Decoder

On the Ice
Ted Barton: “Tutberidze inspires a new generation of trainers in Russia and abroad. Her work is unimaginable. "

Canadian commentator Ted Barton shared his opinion on the work of the honored coach of Russia in figure skating Eteri Tutberidze .

“First of all, I must pay tribute to all the Russian coaches, but the work that Eteri Tutberidze, Sergey Dudakov and Daniil Gleichengauz , as well as their coaching staff are doing is simply unimaginable.

You can have one good athlete, two, but they have all the athletes show an incredible level. I do not mean quadruple jumps (they are good), not triple axels (this is excellent), not perfect jumps and rotations. The programs themselves are wonderful, whether you like them or not, but the details, riding skills, interpretation that they are taught at such a young age is amazing!

And so with every skater. They can skate badly and be in fifth place, but the work that is being done at this coaching staff is simply unbelievable.

In the junior National Championships there was a young lady who was not from the Eteri group, who performed the fourth jump. And we could see other coaches who saw this and made faces that made it clear that they, too, were not going to stop: “We will beat this!” They are working on it.

This is good for sports, and this is a tribute to Eteri, whether you like it or not, and her team for the work done. She inspires a new generation of trainers in Russia and abroad, I tell you. All over the world they look at her, at her trainers and athletes and say: “They have two arms, two legs and a head, like our children have. Why can't we do the same? ”

This is always the case in history: there is a leader, there are people who follow him, and there are those who challenge the leader. This is life, ”said Barton.

=========
google translation from : https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1084350467.html

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
3 reasons for TeamTut to celebrate this week:

- Alina is joining the rest of the group on 02.06
- Eteri is back in Moscow and will join the team after her quarantine is over
- Daniil's birthday is on 03.06.20

:)

Decoder

On the Ice
THEY PLAN TO MAKE A FILM ABOUT TUTBERIDZE

Russian figure skating coach Eteri Tutberidze will take part in the documentary "Eteri".

The genre of the work is a sports drama, directed by Yulia Bobkova.

The heroine of the film is figure skating coach Eteri Georgievna Tutberidze. The film is planned to be structured as a sports drama, in which, in the conditions of fierce competition in the troupe, several female figure skaters at once claim to participate in the Olympic competitions. Who will the coach bet on? - says the description of the picture.

According to Seldon News, the estimated budget of the film will be about 11 million rubles.

(https://matchtv.ru/figure-skating/matchtvnews_NI1227615_O_Tutberidze_planirujut_snat_film)

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Russian figure skating coach Eteri Tutberidze will take part in the documentary "Eteri".
afaik some account affiliated with her said she herself doesnt know about this movie:coffee:

NaVi

Medalist
Back around 2015 or so I used to praise Team Eteri's programs while they were commonly criticized. I found them more memorable while others were a blur.

Now, I think everyone else has caught up and it's Team Eteri getting behind. And I'm seeing it from competitors in and out of Russia.

I just find the programs to too often be a stutter of ta-da tricks. And it usually works fine in the short program, but the long programs tend to have a point in them where it seems like they give up and just put a bunch of jumps together back to back without doing anything interesting layout wise. The ice coverage paths are too regular and predictable in the long programs.

Scherbakova's programs are ok except for the 3 jumps in the 2nd half where she just marches back and forth from jump to jump.

Overall, I think there needs to be greater overall attention to flow, beauty, and presence. And these may be things that needs years of conditioning.

I like a lot of Daniil's work, but often it seems they run of ideas and do something that's almost a self-parody. They should bring in another choreographer for a few months a year to help work on programs for the group.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Back around 2015 or so I used to praise Team Eteri's programs while they were commonly criticized. I found them more memorable while others were a blur.

Now, I think everyone else has caught up and it's Team Eteri getting behind. And I'm seeing it from competitors in and out of Russia.

I just find the programs to too often be a stutter of ta-da tricks. And it usually works fine in the short program, but the long programs tend to have a point in them where it seems like they give up and just put a bunch of jumps together back to back without doing anything interesting layout wise. The ice coverage paths are too regular and predictable in the long programs.

Scherbakova's programs are ok except for the 3 jumps in the 2nd half where she just marches back and forth from jump to jump.

Overall, I think there needs to be greater overall attention to flow, beauty, and presence. And these may be things that needs years of conditioning.

I like a lot of Daniil's work, but often it seems they run of ideas and do something that's almost a self-parody. They should bring in another choreographer for a few months a year to help work on programs for the group.
Like behind who :)

There are particular individuals who came close in technical content, like Sofia Samodelkina, and e.g. Davydov's team is also coming close as a whole, but overhaul them? Not yet. Davydov's team still has to establish on a senior level and also put more than just one skater on the technical level similar to TT. Also, there's not much to say about the chorteos yet as most of the programs are from the previous seasons. Though, at least they go their own way which I appreciate.

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist
I think the biggest thing I'd like to see from Team Eteri is to work on alternatives to the 4-3 jump layout. It's sad that practically every program is pretty much a slight variation of this:

4 Jumps
Spin + Choreographic Sequence
3 Jumps
Step Sequence + 2 Spins

It's important to note that like 70% of everyone else's programs are like this too(probably 60% before the zagitova rule). But it's almost 100% for Team Eteri. And it's that way because it's the easiest layout to be consistent with. The zagitova rule(which should be repealed) and doing quads/triple axels also encourages the 4-3 layout.

I do want to note that last year Scherbakova did indeed have a choreographic sequence in between two jumps which was fantastic. So in effect she had a 2-2-3 Jump layout. This was almost certainly a happy little accident. Still, her final 3 jump passes were a bit of a slog that would have been better broken up. Kostornaia had a standard 4-3 layout but had a choreographic sequence in between her spins which was a nice change of pace(Lipnitskaia ended her 2014 Oly FS like that and it was kind of iconic). I found her choreographic sequence to be a bit lame... but I find choreographic sequences from Eteri's skaters in general to be an after thought.

There's a couple problem I have with the 4-3 layout artistically.

1. There's a change in energy level going from one type of element to another. The way the energy is projected between audience and judges also changes between element type. So when you clump your jumps(or spins too) together like this there is fewer energy changes in the program. There's less of a roller coaster feel to the program which makes the overall energy of the program lower.

2. People instinctively want *something* between their jumps and if you pack them in you have to try to put *something* in between them. The more jumps are clumped together the more "content" has to be choreographed for between the jumps. And it just feels like in these 4-3 programs there's always a point where the choreographer runs out of material. There's always a point where it either feels rushed or filler or rote. And I think separating out the jumps with a spin or especially the choreographic sequence can go a long way to reducing that.

They should by studying ways of separating jumps out into 3-4 sections without sacrificing consistency. If they're going to be systematic, they should assume 3 jump sections and then go down to 2 if the music really demands it. A choreographic sequence like Scherbakova last year is probably the easiest route. I've seen in a few Japanese program a cool thing where they do a jump right out of a step sequence but the zagitova rule kind of complicates doing that if you're backloading combinations.

I think Usacheva copes OK choreographically with the 4-3 programs because she skates pretty fast and has a lot of varying transitions she's able to do. Valieva and especially Shcherbakova don't cope as well and could really use dividing their jumps up.

Mie Hamada's skaters last year had extremely well organized free programs. Let's look at Rika's jump layout from last year at the GPF:

4S 3A+2T 3F
FCSp4
3A
StSq4
3F+3T 2A+1Eu+3S
CCoSp4
ChSq1
3Lo
LSp4

Here is Michelle Kwan's Long Program from 20014 Worlds:

2 jumps
spin
jump
spin
2 jumps
back spiral sequence (this could potentially be seen as a mere transition but it's a pretty lengthy one)
jump
spin
footwork sequence
jump
choreographic sequence
spin

Now a lot of that isn't possible anymore and even more is discouraged because of ISU rules, but it's interesting to see how varied the jumps were compared to the other elements.

Last edited: