Australian National Championships, 02–09 December 2017 | Golden Skate

Australian National Championships, 02–09 December 2017

notunprepared

On the Ice
:scratch2: I'm confused by all the different competitions. So there are two ways to split it, by age and then by difficulty.

What's the difference between intermediate and adult categories?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:scratch2: I'm confused by all the different competitions. So there are two ways to split it, by age and then by difficulty.

What's the difference between intermediate and adult categories?

Intermediate is for those skaters who have aged out of Basic Novice A (as I understand it) but haven't yet passed their Advanced Novice test. (Basic Novice A used to be Primary, I think).

Adult skating is a different category entirely on its own for those skaters who started at/returned to skating at a more...advanced age. In Adult Silver, they are split by age as well.

notunprepared

On the Ice
Intermediate is for those skaters who have aged out of Basic Novice A (as I understand it) but haven't yet passed their Advanced Novice test. (Basic Novice A used to be Primary, I think).

Adult skating is a different category entirely on its own for those skaters who started at/returned to skating at a more...advanced age. In Adult Silver, they are split by age as well.

Ah so novice and intermediate are for young people who've been skating for ages, but not good enough for juniors. And adults is for...adults who picked it up later, or aged out of the 'prime' age for competitive skating. That's such a cool thing for the sport to have, and to have at a national competition level. Another reason why figure skating is a great sport.

Thanks for clarifying that for me!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ah so novice and intermediate are for young people who've been skating for ages, but not good enough for juniors. And adults is for...adults who picked it up later, or aged out of the 'prime' age for competitive skating. That's such a cool thing for the sport to have, and to have at a national competition level. Another reason why figure skating is a great sport.

Thanks for clarifying that for me!

Whoa hold up, that's not what I said.

The tests are done in level order. Once upon a time it was Preliminary, Elementary, Pre-Primary, Primary, Intermediate (if you were too old for Primary), Novice, Junior, Senior.

Now it's Preliminary, Elementary, Basic Novice A, Basic Novice B, Intermediate (if you are too old for Basic Novice), Advanced Novice, Junior, Senior. This brings us more into line with the international levels.

Basic Novice is a level, but it does have an upper age limit, which is why there is Intermediate, for the skaters that are too old for Basic Novice - and that doesn't mean they're too old altogether, the upper cap for Basic Novice is 15. Intermediate is not actually a test, but just a competition level, for a skater that might be older than 15 but hasn't yet passed their Advanced Novice test.

Your definition of Adult is correct. There are also two Adult competitive categories that aren't at Nationals - Pewter or Copper (which is no test), and Bronze (which is Preliminary).

notunprepared

On the Ice
Whoa hold up, that's not what I said.

The tests are done in level order. Once upon a time it was Preliminary, Elementary, Pre-Primary, Primary, Intermediate (if you were too old for Primary), Novice, Junior, Senior.

Now it's Preliminary, Elementary, Basic Novice A, Basic Novice B, Intermediate (if you are too old for Basic Novice), Advanced Novice, Junior, Senior. This brings us more into line with the international levels.

Basic Novice is a level, but it does have an upper age limit, which is why there is Intermediate, for the skaters that are too old for Basic Novice - and that doesn't mean they're too old altogether, the upper cap for Basic Novice is 15. Intermediate is not actually a test, but just a competition level, for a skater that might be older than 15 but hasn't yet passed their Advanced Novice test.

Your definition of Adult is correct. There are also two Adult competitive categories that aren't at Nationals - Pewter or Copper (which is no test), and Bronze (which is Preliminary).

Okay that makes sense. I'm glad I asked! Thanks for stepping it out like that, I couldn't find anything on the website

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ooo neat thanks for the links Karne!

I just went there now and was expecting to see some men, but they were nowhere in sight! Then I realised that Queenslanders are stuck in the past during summer and I was an hour early :laugh:

Yeah you gotta watch that time change! (Silly Queenslanders :p .)

Although I think the Adults are supposed to be starting now. But we have the Synchro podiums.

EDIT: I feel like I can't read this schedule. Darn it, Queensland.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well the adult silver ladies are on now.

But they don't give you much time to read the scores! Guess we have to wait until the end.

And yeah the .PDF schedule is the most confusing thing ever!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
^No, Adult Silver. I know, the scores are up crazy fast and they don't read them, so you gotta be quick.

And as I say that I missed that one, too.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And now it's time for the oldies (aka 35+)

I wonder who's the oldest in the field.

Also are all these ladies in black? :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm all ready to watch Jr Mens' and Ladies SP. Anybody else??

Some very strong performances in the ladies' tonight, and I thought Giuseppe was on fire in the men's. Lots of bold risks taken.

Did you watch the ice dance, peese?

peese

Medalist
Some very strong performances in the ladies' tonight, and I thought Giuseppe was on fire in the men's. Lots of bold risks taken.

Did you watch the ice dance, peese?

Hey karne! Sorry for the late response. I missed the dance...fell asleep. Hope it went well. I havent checked protocals yet but was surprised Rose didn't win Junior SP yesterday! Just watched Novice Men and waiting for the ladies to start. The skaters are really upping their technical content! Love my Australian Nationals livestream every year!

iskate

On the Ice
Does anyone know why the stream for Advanced Novice SP isn't up to view retrospectively? Or am I just blind? I missed the livestream as I was working, really wanted to watch though because I have a few friends in the division :sad4:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hey karne! Sorry for the late response. I missed the dance...fell asleep. Hope it went well. I havent checked protocals yet but was surprised Rose didn't win Junior SP yesterday! Just watched Novice Men and waiting for the ladies to start. The skaters are really upping their technical content! Love my Australian Nationals livestream every year!

Mmm, I think the underrotation gremlins might have eaten a few people. Glad you're enjoying it!

Does anyone know why the stream for Advanced Novice SP isn't up to view retrospectively? Or am I just blind? I missed the livestream as I was working, really wanted to watch though because I have a few friends in the division :sad4:

I heard there were some pretty big technical problems during Advanced Novice, so that might be why.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Gasp! Brendan's about to start his short and they haven't turned the sound back on on the stream!

What music is he skating to?! I don't remember because he's changed it like three times now!

9:14pm: Oh good they've turned the sound back on. Not so good, Brendan seems to be having trouble with his jumps tonight.

9:17pm: Hmm no sign of creepy Morozov yet...perhaps that's the problem, once you go to him, you'll never jump right until he's there to voodoo you.

Oh dear 57.17 for Brendan.

Good luck to the rest of the guys!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It was his "Everybody Wants to Rule The World" short, but with a new music cut, new choreography and a new costume...none of which I like.

quick tl;dr on the rest of the guys:

Giuseppe: rough skate. 3T-1T*, 2Lz<< and 3A<<.
Jordan: fantastic skate. 3T-3T, 2A and 3Lz with awkward landing/step out. Best I've seen from him. He was super happy.
Andrew: beautiful skate, 3F-turn-3T step, 3Lz fall, 2A, but beautiful spins and steps. He was disappointed about the Lutz fall

Ryan: rough skate. 2A landed on two feet, 3T-2T, 3Lo< with messy landing.
Charlton: really good skate, best I've seen from him. 3F-2T, 3Lz fall out, 2A messy landing. He's upped his tech.
Mark: skate of the night. Quirky Nutcracker. 3A fall, 3Lz-2T rippon, 3F. Deserved leader.
James: a bit tight, not quite as free as I'm used to seeing him. 3A< fall, 3F-3T, 3Lz messy step out landing.

The top five men (Mark, Andrew, James, Jordan and Brendan) are all separated by about 8 points. The free skate should get interesting.